Black Desert MMORPG

Our Year

Outstanding Member
Reaction score
Black Desert – Sandbox Action Combat MMORPG – Preview

Black Desert MMORPG is a large scale sandbox, developed by the Korean company Pearl Abyss, that brings a variety of unique experiences with spectacular action and battle, strategy-oriented castle siege, sophisticated simulation contents such as trade, NPC-hiring and real-estate management.

The game will have five races (three of them are officially confirmed: Elf, Human and Giant) and nine classes, currently represented: Fighter (a warrior with shield and sword), Ranger (elf archer), Sorcerer (the magician), Giant (barbarian with dual axes), Blader (dd swordsman without shield), Tamer (summoner). The other classes aren’t officially announced but it seems they will be Wizard and Valkyrie. We may also have different type of skills for male and female character. There is no level cap, but after level 50 the leveling process will be extremely slow (no special skills will be awarded after level 50, but stats will continue to increase).

We all saw screenshots of mighty castles surrounded by small villages and farms. It seems that Black Desert will have a living-world around each big city, where players will be able to gather resources (farming, mining ores, chopping wood etc.).

An interesting feature will be the system used to gather resources. You will have the option to send NPCs to gather your planted herbs or mine the digging site and then order a transport to the nearest town (where your personal warehouse is). Each village has a special labor market where NPCs will be available for hire. If you have enough gold you can have more NPCs at once.

When finishing town quests, kill mobs or spend time in a specific zone your character will earn some “research points”. These points will be used to upgrade the so-called “farms” (places that you gather resources from) to shorten the time required to finish a task or transport the bundles from city to city.

Even if Black Desert is set to be a sandbox MMORPG at the moment you can’t build houses. The house system exists (rumors say there will be 1000 real-estate properties), but they are already built on special “housing zones” (open world housing, not instanced). A player can own multiple houses, some of them are used only for decoration and meeting purposes (you can decorate them with beds, tables, wall pictures, etc.) while others have more advance features like having mini workstations where you will be able to craft weapons and armors. You will be able to lock your house and even make key copies for your friends so they can use your workstations.

Each zone has its own climate and weather. In Black Desert weather will affect your gameplay. For example, if you’ll pass through a rainy zone your character will get a debuff, your speed movement and attack speed will decrease. In the rainy season transportation will also take more time while in winter growing your ingredients will be harder than in summer. So from now on you will also take seasons in consideration while planning your next move. They even plan to add a system where your NPCs will need warm clothes to be able to pass through the cold season.

Movement from one place to another will be made with mounts or by foot, there won’t be any teleports at the launch (if players will ask for such system they may add it in the future updates). Each mount will have its own level, HP bar, endurance bar, armor slots and some skills. The endurance system works similar with our usual stamina system. For example, after riding your horse from one town to another you will need to let him rest near a tent so it can regenerate its endurance points.

The combat system will be non-target action based. At any time only a combination of 10 skills can be used (your hotbar have only 10 slots). Besides this, you will have a combo system where you can link your skills to perform a special hit. Black Desert will also have mounted combat where you’ll be able to use a new set of different skills for each class to take down your opponents from the back of your mount.

You want some PvP? Well, you are lucky because Black Desert will have open-world PvP, Mounted combat, Caravan robing, GvG battles and massive castle sieges (it has been stated that 400 vs. 400 sieges will be possible).

Black Desert wants to create a new generation of sandbox MMORPGs by bringing a mix of rpg elements, MMO features and economic strategies. The first CBT is scheduled for autumn 2013 in Korea. The next region will be Russia (publisher was not announced yet) while North America and Europe will have to wait until 2015.

For a list of screenshots and artworks check our facebook page.

UPDATE: Oh, and I forgot to tell you about consoles. Pearl Abyss is planning to port Black Desert on consoles (Ps4 and Xbox One) after they’ll have a stable version for PC (plzz don’t ruin the map like in FFXIV: ARR). They already spoke with Sony, so if you are a console user keep an eye for this Open World Sand Box MMO.

UPDATE 2: During Gamescom 2013 F2p.com managed to record 20 minutes of real gameplay so go watch the video below for more info.

UPDATE 3: You can find Black Desert Video Collection from the latest Media Lan Party that took place in Korea,here.

Shiny. But I'm not getting my hopes up too far with what looks like DmC-style action stuff until this gets announced for a Western release. Currently only the Asian and Russian markets are lined up.

Shiny. But I'm not getting my hopes up too far with what looks like DmC-style action stuff until this gets announced for a Western release. Currently only the Asian and Russian markets are lined up.
Black Desert wants to create a new generation of sandbox MMORPGs by bringing a mix of rpg elements, MMO features and economic strategies. The first CBT is scheduled for autumn 2013 in Korea. The next region will be Russia (publisher was not announced yet) while North America and Europe will have to wait until 2015.

Ah, missed that - thanks.

Quite a few videos gone up to look through on their channel which I can't link as the forum keeps thinking its a youtube video!!!

I'm looking forward this alot, I'm already dreading their character creation cause I know I'm gonna spend days on that before I'm even remotely satisfied I would have a face looking right:eek::zonked::suicide:

Have they announced an official launch date for Europe yet? Looks great.

I tried to get you one but it kept putting my key up.
No idea how this happened but I received a key in the post for this today, I guess I must have applied to the beta months ago. Starts this coming Wednesday and ending the following Tuesday.

No idea how this happened but I received a key in the post for this today, I guess I must have applied to the beta months ago. Starts this coming Wednesday and ending the following Tuesday.
Wow thats freaky as i literally just messaged you about this on Steam!!!

Really can't wait for this, this week.

Watched a load of videos over the weekend and it just looks superb. A mix of Final Fantasy and guild wars. Great looking and combat looks superb. Can not wait.

Beta should be downloadable today in preparation.

Capture.PNG

Deleting my recent Star Citizen download has made space for this, I will be grabbing it later this evening.

Looking forward to your report lads, tell me how your character creation goes down:D

Well the download for me is borked, I go and open it and the black desert online comes up in a small box and keeps flashing on and off, nothing else.

Mines doing the same today although it was fine yesterday. Might be something their end as in the log in servers cant be reached so it keeps trying to load up.

Same thing is happening here too, I couldn't even access the process due to the constant restarting, I ended up having to restart the PC.

You can stop it via task manager. I'm onto them via a Facebook chat. They've said to try opening it as administrator.

You can stop it via task manager. I'm onto them via a Facebook chat. They've said to try opening it as administrator.
Tried that and couldn't here, the process kept disappearing and reappearing, deselecting each time it did so, far too quickly to be able to end the process. Easy enough to try it as administrator though, although that really shouldn't be necessary.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom