Question Black Crush on UHDs?

Indiana Jones

Outstanding Member
Reaction score
Is this still an issue with the Xbox One X and it crushing blacks? it’s just that I watched The Matrix UHD yesterday and while I thought it looked great several dark scenes were well extremely dark so much so I am sure something is wrong.

Now obviously photos taken from a phone are pretty inaccurate but these do demonstrate the issue I am experiencing quite well, the first is while playing the UHD on my X with HDR enabled and the second is with the HDR disabled...

HDR Enabled
NF7RLF.jpg

HDR Disabled
oEfNQi.jpg

The settings are identical but clearly with HDR enabled the image is much darker, is this intentional or is there something up with my console and/or TV?

Last edited:
What is your Brightness (backlight) set to when it kicks into HDR? It should be 100 on the Sony and contrast high 80's to 90 & X-tended Dynamic range should be on High, (assuming settings are same to my Zd9). I don't have this disc yet so can't compare scene.

What is your Brightness (backlight) set to when it kicks into HDR? It should be 100 on the Sony and contrast high 80's to 90 & X-tended Dynamic range should be on High, (assuming settings are same to my Zd9). I don't have this disc yet so can't compare scene.

When HDR kicks in the Backlight and Contrast both go to max and X-tended Dynamic range switches to High.

If this is how it is meant to look with HDR enabled or its only like this due to the limited nit range of my TV then that is fine I just want to make sure there isn't something else causing it, if it were a Blu-ray I would try it on different players but the X is the only UHD player I have.

Are you on Cinema Home or Pro for HDR? Pro will give you a bit brighter picture. Don't have an X Box so can't comment on that side of things, sorry.

Are you on Cinema Home or Pro for HDR? Pro will give you a bit brighter picture. Don't have an X Box so can't comment on that side of things, sorry.

Cinema Pro but tried Cinema Home and that was a little brighter but not much.

Maybe up the Gamma a notch or two in HDR?

Will give that a try, my Cinema Pro setting actually has the Gamma at -2 with the Cinema Home setting at 0 so that probably explains why the Home setting looks a little brighter.

Think the issue is likely down to the bias lighting as HDR with any ambient light seems to cause the image to appear darker, found this article quite informative...

https://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/4k-vs-201604104279.htm

They mentioned enabling the Dynamic Contrast as a sort of work around which I will try later but guess if I want a brighter image I should stop using the bias lighting but that isn't going to happen so will just put up with it or switch to watching UHDs in SDR.

Well I have had it confirmed that with HDR enabled I should be getting a similar image to mine with HDR disabled so the Xbox is definitely crushing the blacks with HDR enabled, going to have to play around with some settings but if that doesn't work my only option will be to disable HDR or buy a dedicated UHD player.

Played around with the settings for an hour last night while comparing to some screengrabs online and while not the best way it definitely showed that any HDR image on my TV was way too dark but only had to up the Contrast 10 points and the Gamma by 2 and now it looks very very close :)

Can now fully appreciate just how nice some of these films look as I remembering feeling a bit underwhelmed by GotGv2 but tried it again with my new settings and :eek:

Shame I have watched several films in sub par quality but at least I know I am set for future films, looking forward to trying out Saving Private Ryan at the weekend.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom