black christmas

SILVERBACK

Prominent Member
Reaction score
i dont think i have ever seen a film as good at scaring and disturbing as this before it really is something else.the new horror/scarer films could take a hell of a lot from this.first time i have watched this and god knows how old it is but it keeps its hold on you right the way through.no nonce about a man you cant kill etc just plain old shocker.:smashin:

Billlleeeee! What have you done to the baby Billeeee!

Is that the one with Boris Karloff in ?

The Karloff one you're thinking of is probably Mario Bava's "Black Sabbath". "Black Christmas" is a rather tidy little '70s chiller that I remember being quite a corker. Think I'll buy it and see if it still has that effect.

Black Christmas was in many ways an inspiration for Halloween.

Personally i think it's better than Halloween.

Originally posted by the_pauley
The Karloff one you're thinking of is probably Mario Bava's "Black Sabbath". "Black Christmas" is a rather tidy little '70s chiller that I remember being quite a corker. Think I'll buy it and see if it still has that effect.

if they still have it mate www.dv-depot.com/xiga/show_item.php?id=21262 have it for a very reasonable price £7 in there sale its the 25th anniversary se,thats what made me order it.and i think this probably is better then halloween for the simple reason is well i dont wanna spoil it but its just more horrific when its realistic imho.depot also have some really good sale deals on at the min :)

no it doesnt have 5.1 as far as im aware but with tartans history of pic quality i think i`ll sacrifice the 5.1 to be honest.

I know what you mean, although i have heard they have improved their transfers of late and this is a remastered picture.

Originally posted by jimcarney
Is that the one with Boris Karloff in ?

It is the one with the unicorn in it (if you have seen the film you know what that was).

Originally posted by SILVERBACK
no it doesnt have 5.1 as far as im aware but with tartans history of pic quality i think i`ll sacrifice the 5.1 to be honest.

The 5.1 track's nothing to write home about on the Tartan disc, in fact iirc it's all based at the front anyway with very little sub or surround action going on. Not a problem for me personally, but certainly no reason to go for this over one of the other versions.
The transfer's not too great either, but it's the only one that's both widescreen and anamorphic. It's pretty much on a par with the non-anamorphic NTSC, from memory.
It's probably the only horror film I know that gives me the creeps every time I see it and I've seen it a lot. The eye peeking through the gap in the door gets me every time:zonked:

No, "Black Sabbath" is Karloff introducing three horror stories, the last of which "The Wurdalak" features him.

I think the one you're thinking of with the unicorn is "Black Sunday" (aka "Mask of Satan") - not Karloff, but, coincidentally, also a Mario Bava movie.

The one with the unicorn I'm on about is Black Christmas, and it is an orninment, I think it is made of glass.
I saw it a long time ago and then only caugh the last part.
Spoiler
Margot Kidder is stabbed repeatedly with a glass unicorn statuette
:eek:

Ah right! I was thinking about a Unicorn crest or symbol or something like it on the coat of arms in "Black Sunday".

yep the unicorn scene you cant forget lol i watched the trailer before the film to put me in the mood for it after only seeing the last 30 mins of it myself and the trailer is creepy enough lmao.

Or is it a phoenix in "Black Sunday" ?

:confused:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom