Black Borders

Discussion in 'Xbox Forums' started by Emale1999, Sep 11, 2007.

1. Emale1999

Emale1999
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Anyone know a way to get rid of the black borders on HD DVD's? I've got the 360 connected to my (Samsung) M87 HDTV via VGA but the TV doesn't allow picture resizing (zoom) when using VGA, the HD DVD playback software doesn't have a option for zoom either (does for DVD's). I don't like the borders and according to the TV manual neither does the TV as it doesn't recommend viewing bordered footage for extended periods! Is there a way around this problem other than using Component which I don't really want to do (would mean buying a switch box as my HDD Recorder uses the only Component input) or buying a VGA - DVI adapter & DVI - HDMI adapter (I'm assuming HDMI allows picture resizing on the M87?) also upgrading to an Elite/Premium 'HDMI' is out of the question at the moment.

Hope someone can help!

Thanks

2. TylerDurden

TylerDurden

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +622
    The borders are meant to be there, they show the film how the director intended it be shown

3. Rob100

Rob100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +227
    Oh no, not again... This comes up so often (use the search facility). As TylerDurden has stated, you are seeing the movie in it's OAR (original aspect ratio) - how it's meant to be seen.

4. Emale1999

Emale1999
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi

Yeah I'm fully aware of aspect ratios etc.,. it wouldn't bother me in the slightest if I was watching on a CRT TV but as I mentioned the HDTV manual advises against watching bordered footage for extended periods (due to image burn) so I was just wondering if there was an easy workaround to enable zoom on HD DVD's. Hope someone can help.

Thanks

5. Bald Monkey

Bald Monkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,084
    The Samsung is an LCD isn't it??? In which case AFAIK you will have no problem with screen burn.

I don't know of any way to make the Xbox distort the picture to fill a 16:9 screen with a different aspect ratio.

I expect your only solution if you feel you must alter the aspect ratio is to resort to using an SD player again and sell you HD-DVD's, as you will no longer be getting the benefit of HD anyway, seems the only choice, if you want to keep your screen and it's unable to cope.

Personally if your 'HD Ready' TV is unable to display a HD signal in a different aspect ratio than 16:9 I'd take it back and ask for a refund.

:confused:

6. Emale1999

Emale1999
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Yeah it's a LCD which I made a point of buying instead of plasma due to image burn issues only to find a warning in the TV manual about image burn! I'd quite happily watch the movies bordered if I knew it wouldn't damage the TV, would prefer full screen but thats life I suppose!

The first HD DVD I watched was a rental of Babel which didn't have any borders so it lulled me into a false sense of security which MI3 shattered when I found it was bordered!

I can zoom in on Component etc.,. but not VGA and don't know if I can zoom on a HDMI source yet.

Thanks

7. badbob

badbob
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +318
    2:35 films will have borders, leave it in just scan or 16:9 mode.

8. Rob100

Rob100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +227
    Watched 2.35:1 movies on my Panny plasma for 4 years (before getting the PJ) and have been watching them on my LCD PJ for the last 15 months or so without any problems.

Sounds like Samsung covering their backside.

9. Emale1999

Emale1999
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks Bob & Rob! Much appreciated! I did think the same thing re: covering their backsides but thought I'd better check first.

Am I right in assuming that Just Scan makes sure HDMI sources are displayed properly and would still leave the borders?

I'm afraid my hatred of borders stems from the fact that there's space there on the TV so why not fill it!! :rolleyes:

10. Spence29

Spence29

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Have been watching movies in OAR on my PLASMA now for some 4+ years.

Have had no issues what so ever with image burn (considering it's black). The only time I have EVER experienced anything like a "kinda burn" is when watching SKY News with all those silly interactives red circles etc. However, they soon went.

I wouldn't worry about it fella ;)

11. 7hil

7hil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +145
    As the other posters have said, burn in issues don't exist for LCD.

For Plasma, with most modern sets, it only matters if you're watching films with black borders for hours and hours on end. 2 hours here or there really isn't going to matter. I have a Panny plasma and apart from the 100 hour run in period, I never worry about it.

If you zoom a HD picture you then loose a load of the original resolution, which then suggests it was pointless getting HD in the first place. I would leave the picture as the Director intended it and really wouldn't worry about it.

12. rebel_scum

rebel_scum
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,517
    If you're zooming the film because you don't like the black bars, then you need the kind of help that I can't provide.

13. nm10721

nm10721
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I would be happy to zoom the picture, if only the 360 would allow me :confused: