Black borders on screen

jazzsond

Standard Member
hi all i know this sound's silly but up till now i have been using my projector on a wall, i am looking to buy a owl screen that has black borders around it. and i was wondering if my projector will be able to get the picture in the area on the screen ?

Avi

Distinguished Member
hi all i know this sound's silly but up till now i have been using my projector on a wall, i am looking to buy a owl screen that has black borders around it. and i was wondering if my projector will be able to get the picture in the area on the screen ?

The chances are pretty good but I think you need to provide a bit more info before anyone can answer. :)

Things like throw distance, projector model, planned screen size and aspect etc

AVI

jazzsond

Standard Member
Hi thanks ok i will get the information and post it up, there is just one thing the screen i am gonna buy tonight on ebay is a owl 6ft screen it has a black border on so i think its 16:9 i am gonna be using it via a xbox360 for dvd's and gaming, ok so i just test it at the mo on a wall when i run a dvd i get the black borders at the top and bottom so it should fit on the owl screen, but when i am on the xbox360 dashboard and when i run games they seem to be running in full with no borders at the top and bottom. so i take it when i run games on the owl screen there will be parts of the game running on the black borders ?. i know this sounds confusing but i hope you understand. i have tried all the settings on the xbox360 for widescreen and normal, i am useing the sony vpl-cs5

Last edited:

Anderzz

I was under the impression that the black borders simply framed the viewable area, are you thinking that they actually take up the area that is normally black bars on a dvd?

jazzsond

Standard Member
hi i think i was getting a bit confused. yes i was thinking that, i take it that i am wrong :cool: should i go ahead and get the screen ? do you know if the owl screen any good i think i am paying around £100 for it.

Anderzz

Jazz i dont personally own a screen myself either, so im not the best person to know. but im pretty sure that the black bits are just to help isolate the picture from the rest of the room.

hopefully someone in the know can had to this

Avi

Distinguished Member
hi i think i was getting a bit confused. yes i was thinking that, i take it that i am wrong :cool: should i go ahead and get the screen ? do you know if the owl screen any good i think i am paying around £100 for it.

Depending on the aspect of the material shown on a 16:9 screen you will still have black aspect bars between the actual visible image and the screens black borders with some material. The only way around this is to either mess with the image (zoom, stretch, shrink) electronically to fill the screen area or use a screen that has variable masking. The later is better in terms of maintaining the best picture quality but it's expensive. The other alternative is to zoom the visible image so it meets the top and bottom borders if the PJ allows you to electonically crop the bits that end up outside the screen area.

AVI

The latest video from AVForums

Are the TCL MiniLED TVs better than OLED? TCL Interview with Marek Maciejewski | AVForums Podcast
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom