1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Black Borders on a Blind

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Building DIY' started by Monster, Aug 29, 2003.

1. Monster

Monster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    I'm currently using a 2m wide blind from Ikea as a screen until I redecorate my lounge. It works surprisingly well but following threads from Buns and others comments, I have been thinking about adding black borders in 16:9 format.

I thought I might try using black emulsion mixed with dilute PVA. Or flexible smooth black masonry paint, again mixed with dilute PVA. I am hoping that this will make the paint coating flexible enough to cope with rolling the blind up and down.

Has anyone tried anything similar and had any success? I suppose if it doesn't work its only £20 for a new screen urm, blind..

2. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    On my DIY screen I used black Indian ink (intened originally for pen & ink drawing at school in art) or acrylic paint. It works best if you have a nice 'dark' black that is a matte finish, and preferably slightly rough to it disapates the light that falls on it.

3. Monster

Monster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Thanks Retro.

Did you not find that the ink 'spread' as it was absorbed by the fabric? I am concerned about getting a nice sharp line along the border.

The blind I am using has a plastic type coating on one side that might be ok. The other side has a more green tinge and is fair faced fabric.

4. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    The ink stayed where I wanted it to be.

I used blackout fabric from John Lewis.