Black bars on Sky One HD

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by Pat_C, Aug 20, 2006.

1. Pat_C

Pat_C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +219
    Just had an HD box installed yesterday, connected to a Sony 32S2010 via HDMI. Played around with auto and 1080i, and decided on 1080i output as that seemed to work best.

However, I noticed tonight that the Simpsons on Sky One HD had black bars down each side of the screen. The TV was detecting 1080i, even when I changed the output to auto. The same program on Sky One was fine, no black bars, either on 1080i or auto (576p). No other channels do this - even UK Gold works fine on both settings. And the SD program after the Simpsons was fine too.

Does this seem normal?

2. Basil Plumley

Basil Plumley
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +723
    It's because The Simpson isn't made in widescreen (16.9) format. Next time something like Star Trek:Next Generation is on, check that - it'll be the same. Because all HD channels upscale programmes that aren't made in HD to 1080i or720p, this effects the ability to "stretch" the screen using your TV's modes ie cinema, panaromic etc.

3. Pat_C

Pat_C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +219
    But as I have the HD box output set to 1080i surely the same would apply to all the programs on UK Gold (which doesn't have the bars, but must be all 4:3)?

4. Basil Plumley

Basil Plumley
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +723
    No - because they are not upscaled. Now if there was a UK Gold HD channel...

5. Quickbeam

Quickbeam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    4:3 SD content on Sky's HD channels is cropped to 14:9 by Sky prior to transmission, hence the black sidebars.

When the SkyHD box is set to 720p or 1080i, the box automatically stretches 4:3 SD content to 16:9, so there are no black sidebars (but the aspect ratio is wrong).

When the SkyHD box is set to AUTO, SD channels are not stretched and you should be able to make manual picture adjustments on your TV (wide, zoom, 4:3 etc) to suit your needs.

6. Russellgti

Russellgti

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    I have just tried setting it from auto to both the above resolution and the black bars remain.

7. Ultra2man

Ultra2man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +260
    Unfortunately you missed the bottom line out in your qoute of Quickbeam's post which says that you have to adjust it manually.

8. Pat_C

Pat_C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +219
    But that is exactly what isn't happening, at least for the Simpsons on my TV.
    With a 1080i signal all of my TV picture controls (zoom, smart etc.) are disabled.

9. Ultra2man

Ultra2man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +260
    Just to clarify what is happening here.
    When you set the Sky box to output 1080i or 720p most displays loose the ability to adjust the picture size(ie zoom, wide etc.)
    When you have the box set to this if you are watching an HD channel any material that was not made in widescreen will have black bars down the side.
    If you are watching an SD channel on this setting then any non widescreen material will be streched to fill the screen hence no black bars down the side.

When you set the Sky box to the Auto setting, when viewing HD channels what I have said above will still apply.When watching SD channels the display will now switch to 576p and should allow you to maually adjust the picture size.
    I have seen a few posts where people say that the auto aspect ratio function works when you have the box set to Auto ( as when using the old scart connection) but this seems to be the minority of displays that do that.

10. Pat_C

Pat_C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +219
    Thank you for clarifying. Now the only thing I don't understand is why they can't stretch 4:3 material when they broadcast it on the HD channels, as they do with the SD channels.

11. richardr

richardr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49
    The Sky One HD channel is broadcast as 16:9 only. Thus any black bars on 4:3 material are broadcast as part of the picture. Hence, it can't be stretched, unlike an SD 4:3 channel.

12. Ultra2man

Ultra2man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +260
    I'm just repeating what Quickbeam said again, 4:3 material on the HD channels is actaully presented in 14:9. What you are actaully seeing is a 4:3 image with a bit missing from the top and bottom of it. what this does is reduce the size of the black bars that you are seeing at the sides.
    I can only assume that the broadcaster does not want to distort the picture by streching it . Zooming the 4:3 picture to completely fill the screen any more that it is already would mean a lot more of the picture would be lost.
    Half of the time you would only be seeing half on an actors face if they did that.
    In fact when you watch a 4:3 image on your display in SD it is not the broadcaster that is stretching it. It is your display that is doing the stretching depending on what mode you have it set to.

13. sprattgraham

sprattgraham

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    I've got a Sagem HD-D50 G4 T and when ever I switch to a channel that using 4:3 the TV will switch to 4:3 Mode when I go back to a 16:9 channel the TV switch to 16:9 Mode

The Sky HD box is set to 720p I've tried all the modes and it make no difference

This will only happen if the Sky Box has been in standby so when it switches to 4:3. If I tell the TV to use 16:9 it will always use 16:9, I can even turn the TV off unplug it and 4:3 will still be 16:9.

If I put the Sky HD box in standby bring it out and go to 4:3 channel it starts all over again and the TV switch to 4:3.

14. mmace

mmace

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +60
    how the hell can people say that this is fine?????

A 4:3 programme should be shown in 4:3, not 14:9 and not streched to 16:9

15. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +168
    With the Sky HD box set to 'Auto' I assume it will switch to 1080i on all HD channels?

Also, interesting to see if the new Simpsons movie will be made in WS.

16. Basil Plumley

Basil Plumley
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +723
    It should be - it's being released in cinema's.

17. Pat_C

Pat_C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +219
    Yes, I meant fine in that the black bars are not present. But obviously it is stretched. I'd got used to that though - in 4:3 Homer Simpson looks almost anorexic to me now.

18. Pat_C

Pat_C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +219
    Yes, and 576p on SD channels. I understand what is happening now, I just wanted to check that it was normal.

19. derek500

derek500

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +497
    Not entirely right. Sky Arts HD and C4 HD transmit 4:3 programmes in 4:3. As we know The Simpsons has been zoomed to 14:9 on Sky One HD.

Unfortunately, on Sky Sports HD presentations they just stretch the 4:3 to 16:9. Golf Night is an example of this and I think they even put a W on the banner!!

20. bobcar

bobcar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    I'm considering getting Sky HD but I won't if I have to watch fattyvision sometimes. I assume though that this is just SD programmes so I can switch to the SD channel and watch it properly in 4:3 via scart?

21. derek500

derek500

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +497
    Yes, or if your TV allows, my Samsung does, you can change the aspect ratio manually.

22. mmace

mmace

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +60
    it was a year and 4 months ago, don't see any point in digging up a post from so long ago to tell someone they're wrong "now" even though they weren't at the time

23. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,451
    Yes, but thats annoying!

24. derek500

derek500

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +497
    Don't I know it!!

25. cybersoga

cybersoga

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Just watch it in the format they broadcast it in, chill and enjoy.

26. Ultra2man

Ultra2man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +260
    I'm sure that at the time I originally posted that the info was accurate but with new channels coming on board now things have changed.
    I believe the post you qouted related to Sky 1 HD (hence the title in the thread) and I'm pretty sure this still holds true for that channel to this day.

27. AJStevens

AJStevens
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I just upgraded to Sky+HD and came across this, found threads like this one.

Couple of more points, like most I noticed this while watching The Simpsons.

What concerned me and made me Google about it, was an odd line down the left handside as well, fortunately this only seem to happen for one episode, not for the next, or may have dissapeared after an advert break.

I understand what everyone is saying here, and it's put my mind at rest, so now I have to get used to the 14:9 view in HD, or go back to SD for watching Simpsons and like programmes.

However... I would like to say this, Sky have the gaul to put "W" on the programme information on Sky1 HD for The Simpsons. Which, while I'm writing this my wife has actually discovered Sky Arts HD also have a "W" for a programme, that is also 14:9 (or 4:3).

Either they're too lazy to correctly label their programmes on their HD channels as NOT "W", or they stupidly tied together with their SD equivalents, or they think they can get away with classing 14:9 or stretched 4:3 as widescreen.

Of course.. it begs the question, like the Simpsons, are these programmes EVER actually Widescreen and not just stretched by Sky or our auto-video equipment? That "W" on programme information seems to be a lie most of the time now.

This maybe a bit nieve of me, however I am completely surprised to find The Simpsons is not widescreen. Perhaps they can't afford the extra work by the animators, but Widescreen has been standard for quite some years and a show as never ending as The Simpsons I would have expected to be widescreen by now.

Well, anyway, my beef is:
    1. HD channels listing programmes as "W" (widescreen), when they aren't truly 16:9 (14:9 or stretched 4:3).
    2. The Simpsons and other shows that still aren't widescreen by now.
    3. Sky thinking 14:9 helps matters... and can be classed as widescreen.

28. AJStevens

AJStevens
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hmm.., I wonder if I may have posted too soon.

The episode I was watching was not an old one (Bart gets a Cell phone), but was not a BRAND NEW one.

My EPG says this saturday's Simpsons is HD,W,S whereas the one I watched earlier didn't say HD, only W,S. So perhaps the brand new ones will be HD and widescreen, which is acceptable.

29. Basil Plumley

Basil Plumley
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +723
    You can't blame Sky for this...do you own a Blu-ray player? If so, find a film that was made in 4.3 ratio and exactly the same thing will happen. If you want your screen filled whilst watching The Simpsons, watch channel 106 - simple. You're still getting an upscaled picture (providing you have your HD box set to output 1080i or 720P) but it fills the screen - which is what your main beef really is...;)

30. kevandalice

kevandalice

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +98
    ah, my faith in the un-educated is restored, for i haven't seen a 'black bars' post this month:lesson::D

edit, just noticed the date lol

Last edited: Dec 28, 2008