1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Black bars on Sky movies on pd50?

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by ims3ola, Aug 25, 2005.

1. ims3ola

ims3ola
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi guys, please excuse my ignorance in this matter - i really know nothing about tvs :)

My dads PD50 has the black bars on certain Sky movie channels (not all of them) that you get when you're watching a widescreen broadcast on a 4:3 tv. The sky box is set to 16:9 mode and so is the tv but i'm still getting the black bars at the top and bottom of the screen?

:)

2. GalacticaActual

GalacticaActual

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +199
    ON movies that use the widest of the widescreen modes like starwars and lord of the rings, you will still get black bars at the top and bottom of the screen. This is beacuse the Movie is wider than the format of the widscreen TV :) and for all intensive purposes gets to the sides of the TV before it gets to the top and bottom.
    Its Kind of like looking at something up close and then seeing more of the image as you pull away from it. If the thing your looking at is wide but thin, as you pull away ,more of the sides of the image will be displayed but there is nothing to see above or below it :)
    On movies that use the 16:9 or 1:85 ratio like undersiege ( which is what all widescreen TV programs are broadcast in) the picture will fill the screen because that is the actually size of the widescreen TV and image.

below are 3 pics of the most common widescreen formats.

The middle one is the shape of a widescreen TV.
    The end on is of the widest movies.

Attached Files: