Black bars around video

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by gazzfoth, Aug 19, 2013.

1. gazzfoth

gazzfoth
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have captured a VHS tape onto my pc and burnt it to dvd. The video is fine apart from black bars on both sides of the video. This happens when the video is played on my PC too. How can I get rid of the bars? Can i stretch the screen size?

2. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,232
    So, your VHS recording was of a programme (etc) which was in the shape of an old TV - 4x3.
    And your capture and playback is in the shape of a new TV - 16x9. Right?

If you use a video editing program on your PC you could:

- stretch the video widthways to fit the wider shape of a new TV. This would render all of the image stretched; people would be too wide, circles would be oval, and so on. Is that what you want?

- stretch the video in both directions to fill the width of the screen. Things in the image would be the right shape, but the top and bottom would be cropped off; completely missing. You may obscure the tops of buildings or peoples heads...or their feet etc. And the process would slightly blur the image. Is that what you want?

- crop the black bars off, leaving a captured video at the old TV shape of 4x3. When you play back on your computer, you'd just have a smaller window. When you play back on a modern 16x9 TV you would get either black bars, an unevenly stretched image or a cropped image. Is that what you want?