Black bars and screen burn

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by Brooktop, Feb 17, 2005.

1. Brooktop

Brooktop

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +94
    I'm running in my new Panny PW6 and a lot of my viewing is of DVDs. When watching a 2.35:1 film, ie still got letterbox bars, do I occassionally need to stop the DVD or zoom it for a while (which gives a distorted image)?

If so, how often and will I be able to forget it after 200 hrs? Or are the black bars less of a problem than white logos etc?

Thanx

2. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    It's not the bars that burn in, but the picture inside them. With a PW it's most unlikely you would have a problem, in fact you might be the first on the forum! For 1 movie, I'd venture to say you will be fine, follow it up with full screen TV or a different aspect DVD. Just don't leave it on pause overnight.

3. enigma2099

enigma2099
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've got a PWD7 with only a few hours on the clock. Watched a few DVD's and have personally had no problems with the black bars or screen burn whatsoever. The first couple of times I was a little nervous about this but now I just sit back and enjoy the film :)

4. Brooktop

Brooktop

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +94
    Thanks MAW - I'm probably being over sensitive after reading all the posts about screenburn. My g/f's father has had a Viera since Xmas and I'm sure he's not been taking any precautions - he has his setting on cinema or dynamic I think and watches Sky Sports for hours - and he's not got any screen burn.

I tend to watch in the dark anyway, so switching to dynamic virtually blinds you! On a related issue then, if you have your screen calibrated, does that mean you don't alter the picture settings? I find I change them depending on whether I'm watching in the dark or daylight and for different sources/DVDs.

5. Audionyx

Audionyx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    I've had my PW7 since Novemeber and last night noticed image retention when the screen was ON but no signal.

I watch a lot of sports and the Sky "Gillett Soccer Special" screen format has etched itself into the screen!! This manifests itself on the right hand third of the screen with the Sky-Sports logo and division box where the live scores reside!

I am a little miffed as this screen was touted as having better burn proofing not to mention the fact that for the first 100 hours I treated the screen with kid gloves: Contrast 5, Brightness 0.

Fortunately it does not affect normal viewing and just as a precaution, I have left the white scroll bar running to try and "flush" it off!

6. Brooktop

Brooktop

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +94
    These accursed logos are a damned imposition!!! :thumbsdow

Hope it sorts it out - but don't leave it scrolling for too long - I understand it reduces the life of the phosphors by putting them on 'overdrive'.

Of course, also being a newbie I may be completely wrong!

Have you switched the wobbling and peak limits on btw?

7. Audionyx

Audionyx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    Bloody logos - indeed!

Cheers, I am popping home for lunch so will check up on the screen then.

Have a nice day!

8. spicy_fajita

spicy_fajita

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So Mad_Darren how did the cleasning go... I'm expecting my PWD7 today and am dying to know if it cleared.

9. Audionyx

Audionyx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    Cleaning went well thanks though there is still slight evidence of my Saturday viewing habits. Thank god I had not nodded off (!) watching the Playboy channel!

Great user name "spicy-fajita", can't beat the hot stuff myself!

10. Brooktop

Brooktop

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +94
    Playboy on a 42" plasma - now that would be something to behold! Talk about larger than life :devil: