Black bands on sides of image?

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by r-06264, Feb 23, 2005.

1. r-06264

r-06264

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi all

Last night whilst watching the Arsenal match on ITV I saw black bands on the sides of the image (i.e. it wasn't filling the screen) on my Sony 32" widescreen telly. First time I experienced this. Anybody know what has caused this? All other channels were ok. Just the broadcast of this football match was wonky? :confused:

2. neilmcl

neilmcl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +292
    Although ITV1 would be broadcasting in widescreen, well 14:9 at least, they were using a feed that was being delivered in standard 4:3. This is quite common when channels are picking up foreign TV feeds and as such they have no control of the aspect ratio.

3. r-06264

r-06264

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Arrgh!! This sucks but I'm glad this happened because I was thinking of taking my telly back to SA where we only have standard broadcasts :( Guess there'll be a DX-150U up for sale in few months... :thumbsdow

4. Simcom

Simcom
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Does your TV have a Zoom option in the picture format.
    I have a Panasonic 36" PD50 and you can select Zoom 2 to fill the whole screen on such broadcasts. Mind you the picture quality will suffer a little.

5. r-06264

r-06264

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Yes, but it still didn't fit the screen.

6. Tight Git

Tight Git

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +597
    You'll also lose the top and bottom of the picture if you zoom in! :devil:

7. Niburu

Niburu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The only broadcasts that transmit true widescreen are Digital ones, such as Sky or Freeview. I have a Philips 32" widescreen TV and had to purchase freeview because the quality from analogue was bad and there were still lines on the top and bottom. As a result, foriegn TV stations that do not use true widescreen will have bars left and right on Digital broadcasts.
    You can take your TV over to SA (South Africa I assume) and as long as you are watching SABC or MNET from an analogue broadcast, you will be able to trick the TV into displaying a full image. If you hook it up to DSTV however, you may have the same problem you experienced with the Arsenal game, unless Multichoice SA have changed the way they broadcast television since I was there.
    Unfortunatly this may not be your only problem, as the quality of broadcast picture in SA is poor and not all SABC channels have NICAM (Stereo sound) your Sony 32" TV may not of much use unless you have DSTV or watch a lot of DVD's.

8. r-06264

r-06264

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks for the replies. Yes it is South Africa. I'm not willing to cart a 80Kg TV across the globe only to use half of it's potential. It will be too much of a hit and miss situation I think. I'll rather sell.