1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Black Bands In Widescreen TV,HELP!

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by desperateguy, Nov 25, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. desperateguy

desperateguy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have recently bought a Panasonic TX36PG50 telly and a Toshiba SD210E DVD player.However, despite setting my DVD at wide screen I am getting those horrible black bands at top and bottom.Do I need to do some more settings?If not,then whats the point of buying a widescreen TV if one cannot see a widescreen film properly (I tried Galdiators)?

I will appreciate help from you expert guys outhere.Please assume no previous knowledge of AV equipment.

thanks,

2. Doubledoom

Doubledoom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You have just asked probably the biggest FAQ regarding DVDs....

Your old tv was a ratio of 4:3. If you played widescreen films, you got black bars above and below to maintain the aspect ratio of the film. Your widescreen tv is ratio of 16:9 which still isn't wide enough for many films so the black bars still exist, albeit in a smaller state.

Why are the black bars horrible? If the tv was an aspect ratio of 2.35:1 (like the films you mention), the black bars wouldn't be there but a plastic frame and air would be. What is the difference?

And, you are seeing the widescreen film correctly.

3. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    Square pegs don't fit into round holes.

4. delta

delta
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You are seeing widescreen films 'properly' on your tv. Most films are made in the wider aspect rations than are in 16:9.

5. Stuart Wright

Stuart Wright
    AVForums Founder Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,536
    Duh sometimes I wonder why we bothered with the FAQ (above) which answers your question. Or why we got a forums service with a search facility - which if you search for 'black bars' in the topic titles also brings up a previous topic which exactly answers your question.

All new members are very welcome to the forums and we hope you find them useful, please PLEASE put a bit of effort into finding answers to your questions before you leap in and post.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.