1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Black band on Sony FS76

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by SimonO, Mar 5, 2003.

1. SimonO

SimonO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    My FS76 is excellent in most respects, geometery, convergence, purity etc... However I have noticed that the bottom 6-8" of screen is darker than the top... Has anyone else got this..?

It's noticeable on very light scenes... You can check by getting a black screen up (AV input with no feed) and turning up the brightness to maximum...

Any ideas..?

2. SimonO

SimonO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    Come on you people... You pick up on all the other 'faults' with this set but not this one...

Put up a light screen (white or grey) and have a good look at the bottom 6" of screen... It's darker..!

I've just had JL deliver a replacement which did the same, so it's not just my set, and it's not the source 'cos I can see it with nothing connected..!

I get it on all AV inputs but it only really bothers me when watching football (oh and Kipper the Dog, but that's another story...)

I kept my original set 'cos the geometry is good...

Have a look...

3. Manuman

Manuman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry dude, i dont have that problem on my current fs76. I'm taking delivery of a brand new fs76 tomorrow though so ill post when ive checked that out.

4. Bam

Bam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Checked mine and I don't have that problem either

5. Manuman

Manuman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not on my luvvery new one either.

6. SimonO

SimonO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    Thanks for looking...

As I said, my replacement did the same, and both did it with nothing connected...

Must be something interfering..?

7. astonbilla

astonbilla

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    at last!!

if you look you will notice there is a dark band at the bottom too, leaving a brighter band through the centre. I had one set replaced to get rid of this, the new one didn't have this problem - then a few days later it reappeared. I dont know what to do about it either, you can really notice it on vertical panning shots with a bright background, or games like tiger woods.

8. SimonO

SimonO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    Yeah you may be right... But I've had six sets over the last two and a half years and they have all had some problem or other...

I don't think there is such a thing as a perfect widescreen 100Hz CRT TV IMO...

I'd be very happy to be proved wrong (assuming I could keep the set..!)

PS I'm actually pretty calm about it all now, but these problems have wasted way too much of my time..!

9. Tommo24

Tommo24

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the same ever so slightly dark band across my FS76 about 6-8" above the bottom of the screen. I also don't think it was evident in the first few weeks after receiving my tv.

I have also in the last week noticed two vertical bars in the far left of the screen. This are both about 3-5mm thick with a 2-4mm gap between the two. They are only 1-2cm from the left side of the screen but run the full length vertically. They are VERY VERY faint to the point where my girlfriend cannot see them. The only way I can describe them is that they seem to be slightly lighter than the rest of the screen. You have to focus on them to notice but they are definitely there. Anyone got any ideas?? Anyone seen the same on their FS76 or another tv?

This is my 3rd FS76 and the two (probable) faults I have on my set are so minor I don't think I am going to contact HOF. I do however have 5 year warranty. Anyone think I should go for a 4th set. I'm not sure if they would swap it straight away and I don't fancy the thought of it going into a service centre.

Maybe we are all too anal about our tvs?...then again for £1500 we should really get a 100% tv!!

Regards

Tom

10. SimonO

SimonO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    Only you can answer that really... I have now accepted that I won't get a perfect set, so it's a case of the lesser of many evils..!

For me, poor geometry is the main thing that I can't live with and as my current set is pretty good on this I'm not going to change it...

However as you say for £1500 you shouldn't have to accept less than 100%...

As for service technicians, well I reluctantly let them into my house, but I would never let them take a set away again..!

And I stand by my previous post... Once you accept that you won't get 100% then it's comes down to what you can live with...

At least you didn't buy a Philips..!

PS On the wife/girlfriend thing, I'm now banned from mentioning the TV in our house... Thin ice..!

PPS I've also got a very, very faint dark vertical line just right of centre... Can't see the lines you describe... You must be imagining it..! :)

11. WSH

WSH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    A have a faint narrow bar going down the left inch of the screen like yours Tommo24. Once noticed I keep looking for them which is a little annoying.

BTW, Are you seeing them on cable or DVD, because it may also be ghosting on terrestrial since bands on the left is also caused by ghosting.

12. Tommo24

Tommo24

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It must be a bloke thing. I too have been banned from discussing tv problems, be they my own or someone elses!

I can happily live with my set but if anything else rears its ugly head its going to be a trip to the replacement booth again.

I must admit once a tiny fault is noticed I can't help but look at it every now and then. When I am engrossed in a programme I don't notice them at all.

I must admit that a flip side to buying an expensive tv like the FS76 is that you do expect the tv to be perfect. If I had only spent £500 ish on a tv I doubt I would have even noticed the problems I have identified on my FS76. For example, my set is far and away better than any tv owned by my friends and family!!

Would be very interesting if you could somehow have an FS76 get together and compare all of our setups side by side to see how different they really are.

Regards

Tom

13. WSH

WSH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    A FS76 meet. LOL. Those things weigh 100kg a piece!

14. Bam

Bam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Same here...They're all the same these split arses, is there a forum for lip gloss or hair products that I could point her to?

Must admit though just from reading the problems on this site makes me totally paranoid if I see any blemish on screen, fortunately so far they have all disappeared when I change channels.

One thing I noticed at weekend watching 'The Premiership' on ITV through the SKY digibox.... the quality is extremely poor in comparison to those transmitted on Sky Sports (which is virtually perfect for live football). Anyone expecting a good quality picture on 'The Premiership' will be disappointed. The picture is better for Champions League but still comes second to SKY Sports.

15. SimonO

SimonO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    To all who have spotted the bands... Have a look at vertical scrolling titles (white text on black)... On my set they 'kink' over the area about 6" up from the bottom where the the dark band ends..!

16. ronancoll

ronancoll

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    has any of you noticed that in EPG display and the info display on SkyDig has wavey sides on the on screen display. CAn get ride of them . The edges where straight on my old FQ75.

and call me paranoid but there are scrolling bars on the fs76 aswell, although not as noticable as on my FQ75

17. WSH

WSH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    Yup, wavy lines on ntl digital now and next bar on mine.

Seen scrolling bars too.

18. astonbilla

astonbilla

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    Guys i had an FQ75 with the scrolling bars which was replaced by Sony. I can say that neither the first FS76 or the replacement had these bars. I watch it with the lights off too and when i did that with my FQ75 they were horrible.

Everyone seems to worry an awful lot about the bars thing, they were a "feature" of DRC. This has been resolved with DRC2, unless i am seriously mistaken.

19. SimonO

SimonO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    Yeah you are mistaken... They are still there, but you REALLY have to look for them..! So much so that they really aren't an issue anymore, in my opinion...

Anyway the black band on my set seems to be getting worse... Looks like it's the 'new' scrolling bars, and I've also got a similar vertical band just right of centre...

What do we have to do to get a quality product..?

I think I might finally give up with Sony and try the new prog scan Panasonic...