1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Black and White Picture- video sender help pls

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by lard5117, Oct 16, 2004.

1. lard5117

lard5117

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I have just bought a BTech BT27 to use for the following:

Inputs: Sky via video sender (scart), DVDs via S Video, Playstation (Scart)

Output: Svideo to projector, audio back to DVD home cinema system

I am having a few problems with it though...the DVD I can watch OK, and the Sky I can hear OK, but the Sky is in black and white!

Why is the picture black and white for my sky?
    What do I need to buy in order to watch tv in colour?

Hope you can help. Any advice much appreciated.

2. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Ordinary Sky boxes won't output an s-video signal (only RGB or composite) which is why it is reproducing a black & white picture from the projector.

3. lard5117

lard5117

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well..the update is that the picture is now in colour. The BTech must convert/split the picture from Scart to SVideo or something.

I think I was just being a divvie and either had the video sender in a position where it picked up a black and white signal?? or was initially watching a pop video on MTV which was filmed in black and white!

Fairly happy with the picture as it was quite a cheap way of getting the Sky downstairs..although there it is fairly pixelated on the bigger screen.

Is this the video sender deteriorating the image or is TV always like that on a projector?

4. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    I have no experience of video senders but my guess is that part of the reason for the poor picture is because you are actually watching a composite signal which is the poorest quality by far.

The BT27 cannot convert RGB or composite signals to s-video

5. lard5117

lard5117

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ..just goes to show how much I know! :)

Is there anything better than the BT27 which would provide a better picture? I need to keep the S Video to the projector as it goes through the ceiling etc and I can't be bothered recabling! I have two scart "inputs" (one for sky, one for playstation)

6. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Scancom sell a converter for £50 that will convert the RGB output from your Sky Box into s-video signals suitable for feeding to your projector. Details are here but I would point out that I found this site via Google and have no idea of the quality of the unit.

A little more Googling will bring you to the JS Technology RGB Converters which are being sold for £79 by our very own Joe Fernand here. Don't let the comment that these are designed and built in Scotland put you off as people do speak highly of these units. :D

7. lard5117

lard5117

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't really understand how the video sender works ..it is an "One for All" video sender...(they should really rename the range..The D'Artagnon, The Porthos etc)..but I think it is radio/wifi freq.
    Does this mean it would only send the signal composite anyway? .. and no matter how I would try to "convert" it, it would still be the poorest quality?

ie the best/only way to improve quality = run a cable instead of using the video sender, then use the converters as per your post to convert to SVideo.

Thanks for your help so far, Ian.

....I think this is what you have told me in your earlier post.

8. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    I am going to have to pass in favour of someone that knows more about video senders as my knowledge is approximately zero.

9. lard5117

lard5117

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thats still 2 more than me :)

Cheers for your help Ian.