1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

black and white picture on xbox

Discussion in 'Xbox Forums' started by kezz, Oct 24, 2003.

1. kezz

kezz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I have recently bought an xbox and when I connected it to my tv using the supplied cable (svideo with scart converter) it displays only a black and white signal. My tv only has a scart input and I am currently using an RF (aerial) cable which isn't giving very good results (darkened picture and a bit distorted). My dvd player/freeview box work fine thru scart. How can I get my xbox to work thru the scart on my tv? Am I using the wrong cable (is there a different scart lead i could use?)

Thanks

Kezz

2. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +849
    are you using an rgb scart lead through your basic scart tele?

Using any scart switchers?

Maybe a cable has gone loose somewhere.
    See if you can borrow an identical cable, or take your cable back.

3. kezz

kezz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    my tv only has rgb scart afaik

i don't think the scart connection that comes with the xbox is an rgb scart (its an adapter with the yellow, red and white plugs in it)

Would an RGB cable for the xbox solve the prob?

4. John Jennings

John Jennings

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    If you're using S-video, you need to let your telly know to expect to receive S-video, otherwise it'll appear in black & white (as it is on your telly at the moment).

Several options;

1) Try a different scart socket on the tv (on most tellys only one of the sockets is set up for s-video)
    2) Press the av select button on your telly a few times. Normally there'll be a seperate AV channel for s-video.(on my telly scart2 is for s-video. By default the telly goes to EXT2 channel with scart2, but if you press the AV button again and it changes to EXT2S (for s-video)).

That should sort it out.

John