1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

black and white output from dvd

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by Shady, Jan 23, 2002.

1. Shady

Shady

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    Simple question chaps

Girlfriend has old (8+years old) Phillips TV with two scarts and s-video input.

Connected multi-region Toshiba SD210 dvd player to TV via s-video input as scarts are currently used by video and digibox.

Region 2 output fine on tv, but any region 1 disks only appear in black and white.

Tried the player on my 2 year old Phillips TV which i use with my multi region tosh and all ok in glorious colour.

My initial guess is that the region 1 disks are in NTSC(?) format and not PAL and that the older TV only accepts PAL standards

BUT - does this manifest itself in a black and white display or would you get no output at all.

If the answer is simply the PAL / NTSC compatibility she will wait 'til she upgrades her TV.

Any answers may earn me some brownie points in the 'red hot monkey loving' stakes.

Thanks

2. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,111
    Firstly any reason that you can't use RGB via scart from the dvd to the TV ? This will give you better picture quality than s-video anyway. Its normally the AV1 or scart 1 on the TV that handles RGB.

You have rightly surmised that the black and white picture is down to the TV not being able to handle an NTSC signal : however the fact that you can get a stable black and white picture indicates the TV is capable of syncing to a 525/60 source ie region1 dvd.

Using RGB will bypass the lack of an NTSC compatable colour decoder in the set so you should get a nice stable colour picture ( best quality available off dvd in fact)

If the TV doesn't accept RGB ( which I doubt) you could always buy an NTSC to PAL colour convertor which will allow an s-video/composite signal to be displayed in colour : it will convert the NTSC signal into a PAL60 one. However certain units may kick in macrovision effects so check and see if you can switch it off in your hacked player.

3. Shady

Shady

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    Thanks for the reply

The TV only has two scart inputs which are being taken up with the video and digibox. We have tried putting the video out via the standard aerial lead but this is poor.

I have also tried the DVD via the RGB scart lead - and that is also in black and white.

Anybody else haev any comments?

Cheers

4. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,111
    This is odd. Are you sure the player is outputting RGB ? You normally have to select it in the settings menu.

5. Dangerous

Dangerous

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had this problem when first connecting my dvd player via s-video 4 pin. I think the solution is in the setup menu of your tv. I rang toshiba customer support who gave me the answer straight away but I can't for the life of me remember exactly what is was.

Dave

6. Shady

Shady

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    DVD player initially set as RGB - black and white output. Unable to change DVD setting with scart lead removed and s-video cable installed

Changed setting within DVD to S-video whilst connected via scart - plugged in s-video cable and removed scart

Output still in black and white.

Dangerous Dave - hope the memory comes back

Cheers

7. Doubledoom

Doubledoom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, the problem is almost certainly an NTSC issue with the tv and as the picture is not rolling and is in black and white, the RGB answers should work.

Check the obvious. Make sure the dvd is outputting RGB. Make sure the scart is in the RGB scart socket on the tv and not the composite or s-video scart. Make sure the scart is fully wired.

I am assuming that the Toshiba SD210 is a computer DVD rom drive (as you posted in HCPC). So, have you changed all the relevent software to output RGB and what connection cable are you using? If it is an s-video to scart lead, then you wont get RGB.

8. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,111
    nah its an of teh shelf job double doom . He just posted in the wrong forum. Does sound like there is some confusion here though: unable to change RGB without scart ?