1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Black and White from SVideo

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by toprobroy, Apr 16, 2005.

1. toprobroy

toprobroy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guys....My first post...so don't know if its the right area.

I've got a 32" Flat TV from Toshiba. It has an SVideo output on the front which I plugged into a Epson EMP TW10H. No problem getting the projection but it was Black and White. I believe I've checked all there is on the Menu system of the Projector. In fact, from my laptop, that projects fine in colour. The source detection on Auto does detect the difference between RGB and the TV. Taking off Auto detection also works, but not with the TV.

So it leads me to believe the TV signal must be the problem. However on the menu system of the TV, I can't see there is anything to change.

I have a scart lead that connects to the Projector, but I don't have a lead long enough to take it from the TV or any of my Devices anyway. But I would still like to know why the SVideo is doing this.

Has anyone got any ideas.? :lease:

2. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,908
    Sivdeo as a protocol carries the colour information along a separate cable strand to the brightness information. If you only get brightness (i.e. something is stopping the colour part of the signal) then you get B&W and that seems to be what's happening.

It could be:

a faulty cable
    something in the TV which is preventing it outputting the colour (chroma) signal

However, more to the point, are you SURE that the socket on the TV is an OUTput? I'm not at all familiar with your gear, but in general it's much more likely to be an INput. In which case, what's getting to your projector isn't coming from there. In any case, having a TV on to drive a projector seems a bit excessive.

If you want to watch, on your projector:

- live TV (analog) - use a VCR as the source and connect it directly* to the projector
    - digital TV - connect your set top box directly* to the projector
    - DVD - connect your DVD player directly* to the projector

etc.

* (or via a switcher-box or AV amplifier).

3. toprobroy

toprobroy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You could be right there. These sockets are at the front, so it could be there to make it easy to put in a Digital Video Camera etc to view easily.

I chose that as an option because I don't have long enough leads and all three units are stacked in a unit that makes it difficult to get to the outputs of each device.

Would the SVideo socket still throw the TV Picture, (even though its black and white) out to the projector input.

I'll try and hookup the TV again to the projector directly, maybe even the DVD, at least it will prove what you've suggested.

Thanks
    Robert

4. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,908
    I doubt an output socket will produce a signal. It might I suppose......due to some odd wiring inside the TV.....have some signal present on it. But this isn't the way to go.

I'm still wondering why you want to have the TV on, to drive a projector? A TV as a device is primarily aimed at receiving and displaying signals - not producing them for other devices.....