• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

black and white dvd output

T

theangryman

Please help
My dvd home cinema Sanyo DC-TS760 is linked to my new Philips 37pf5521D tv by scart on the av1 channel and it comes out black and white!:mad:

ive tried to research why this is on the internet and am getting confused by the possiblitiys.

the dvd works - outputs in colour - using my s-video, but not the scart - i really need to use the scart though as the s video isnt long enough!

I think the problem is something to do with:

My dvd not outputting to a standerd format the tv can understand?
i can solve by cutting pins 17 and 19 of the scart or making the dvd output at 576p 720p 0r1080i

im really confused as this is all to technical for me - the instruction manuals are of no help, the shop i bought the tv from are a bunch of cowboys who say my dvd player is broken - even though i know its not coz it works through the s video!!:mad:

please help and ease my stress levels!:lease:

gingerone

Prominent Member
Either your tv is set to svideo or your dvd player is.
Check your dvd player is set to RGB and make sure your scart lead is plugged into the av socket on your tv that accepts RGB.(check your manual to find out which av socket this is)
p.s. you cannot upscale on a scart connection and you will not be able to output 576p and 720p as these are progressive signals which cannot be displayed thru a scart connection only component or HDMI.

Andy98765

Distinguished Member
Looking at the instruction book (see page 7) there is a switch on the back of your Sanyo, "RGB-SVideo", it is located just above your SVideo output, set to RGB if using SCART as per the manual instructions.

T

theangryman

thanks guys - i think its my tv that needs changing from s video to scart - will try it tonight
:smashin:

T

theangryman

it was my tv needed altering not the dvd. However philips dont tell me how to do this in the product manual - i have asked the help line but they are taking their time coming back to me - any ideas? the model is 32pf5521d

gingerone

Prominent Member
Have you tried plugging the dvd player into a different scart socket?
On my phillps I have one socket that handles composite and s-video and one that handles composite and RGB.

SlinkDaddy

Prominent Member
Its either in the menu or more likely just a matter of pressing the input select button on the remote until the picture comes up in colour (on most sets they have an AV2 and an AV2S mode, or EXT2/EXT2S etc). The S standinding for s-video. If you are in the S mode then the pic will be b&w unless your DVD is to set to s-video via the scart.

If you still cant make it work just but it in the other scart socket, normally only one of the 2 or 3 scarts will accept s-video anyway. As already mentioned switching DVD to RGB would give you better pic as long it is plugged into the RGB enabled scart on the TV (see your instructions).

The latest video from AVForums

CES 2023 Round Up: New TV Lineups for 2023 from LG, Samsung, Panasonic, Hisense & TCL
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom