1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Black Adder: Complete Collector's Set

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by ice_cool, Nov 29, 2001.

1. ice_cool

ice_cool

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I know that most people love blackadder throughout the series (my fav is series 2).

The main problem is that i want to get all five series. I've had a look around, but i cannot find a region 2 version that includes series 5 in it. I know the region 1 version does. But it is alot more to pay just for series 5 and the extras! Looks like R2 has been conned again! And it was made here, so we should have a superior version!!!!!!! AAAAAAAArrrrrrrrrrrghhhhhhhhh :mad:

I'll explain:

DV Depot (R1)
    http://www.dv-depot.com/catalog/pro...id=1&products_id=21827&currency=GBP&x=21&y=11

Blackadder: The Complete Collector's Set (5 discs) = £62.35
    Lots of extras, but mono sound

Play.com (R2)
    http://www.play.com/Play247.asp?page=title&r=R2&title=95875

Blackadder - Complete Collection (4 Discs) = £51.99
    No Extras, Stereo

R1 contains Blackadder's Christmas Carol, is this the one off special show shown ages ago with a theme of scrooge?

I know i will probably end up buying R1, but its a shame all films and productions sell out to the US at R2's expense!!!!

Any thoughts? Or can someone find a R2 collectors edition???

Thanks

2. Dirk 2

Dirk 2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Once again, another classic example of a British product getting better treatment in the US (checkout my Life Of Brian thread).

I myself will be buying the R1 boxset as it has series 1-4, Back & Forth, Christmas Carol & the Cavalier Years. Also singalong and Baldricks diary.

To compound the insult, the culprit is the BBC themselves. They have a far better catalogue for the US market than the UK. You can get classixc series like Elizabeth R and Six Wives Of henry VIII in the states but not a sign of them here.

I still think that the UK R2 retailers (apart from Hong Kong Legends) think the average brit punter is a fool and a mug. Which is why their gonna lose more and more sales.

3. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    Hi Ice,

There was only ever 4 seasons of Blackadder.

1) Blackadder
    2) Blackadder II
    3) Blackadder The Third
    4) Blackadder Goes Fourth

However, there were 4 specials:
    - In 1982, there was the never-aired Pilot Episode, entitlted "The Black Adder"
    - In 1988, there was a Comic Relief Special, called "The Cavalier Years".
    - Again, in 1988, there was "Blackadder's Christmas Carol" (which is downright hilarious!)
    - And then, there was "A Royal Birthday Celebration Special" in 1998, which was untitled.

In the UK, (Region 2), you can buy "The Complete Blackadder" which contains Series 1-4, but you can also buy "Blackadder's Christmas Carol" separately.

However, in the USA, the 4 series, and the Christmas Carol are sold together, making-up the "Collector's Edition".

You can also buy in the Uk, "Blackadder: Back And Forth", which was the Millennium Dome special. That DVD also contains a Behind-The-Scenes documentary, and a Special Baldrick Diary as well.

Ultimately, it's up to you as to which versions you go for, but either way, you won't be able to get ALL of the Blackadder epsiodes in one, complete, set.

Hope this helps you,

Pooch

4. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    Hi Again,

Drat - beaten by Dirk, by 2 minutes! LOL

Looks like the R1 version is the one to go for then, if all of Dirk's info is 100% accurate.

Pooch

5. ice_cool

ice_cool

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks to both of you, i have now decided to get the region one version.

I think that amazon.com is the cheapest (inc p&p), but it may take a while to post due to the sep 11 terrorist thing.

And with that, i shall turn my back on region 2 dvds, cos they are a con!!!!! :p

6. Confucius

Confucius

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +90
    Have you ordered yet??

Check out the price at A&B Sound. $99.79 Canadian dollars, plus $11 s&h. Even if you get stung for duty & vat the total will be around £60. The cost at Amazon.com is $96 American dollars, that £67 before postage & duty etc....

7. ice_cool

ice_cool

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nope not yet, but i'm put off by the 2- 8 week posting time.

I may get it from dvdconcept.com for £69.99 (that way i don't need to pay any import tax) and their p&p is free.

I haven't ordered from them before, do you think they are ok???

8. Confucius

Confucius

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +90
    I've not used 'em so I can't comment.

I have just been using A&B of late, hence my recommendation. Discs have taken 3 to 5 days to arrive after shipping notification. I would assume if the value bust the customs limit & got caught it may take a couple of extra days.

Anyway, it's your money :) , just to restate though that the pre-customs price from A&B is under £50, and it may not get caught anyway. Even with customs charges added you're saving a tenner: practic'ly another disc's worth!!

9. Dirk 2

Dirk 2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Went a bought this from the "Cinema Store" yesterday (R1).

The picture is okay considering the PAL to NTSC conversion, with a little colour bleed. Mind you, these shows were shot on video and are coming upto 20 years old.

It's nice to see the additional episodes, plus interview with Richard Curtis and the sing along is fun (if your ****ed).

Basicly, if you want the best deal don't buy the region 2 version.