BK XXLS400 vs P12-300SB-PR

dynamitetony

With stock apparanlty a few weeks away i thought i could use that time to make a decision.

The typical line is the 400 for music and the P12 for movies. I assume that means the P12 goes a touch lower for booms and explosions but the 400 is faster?

I will be upgrading from the XLS200 which i love and been very happy with, i just want a little bit more depth.

Mainly used watching Sky TV, some films, some youtube music (nothing with a good source), some netflix.

I am worried that the P12 will lose some of the tight, fast and responsive base that the 200 is excellent at ?

Has anyone compared both? Would there be a big difference between them ? Any advice to help me decide?

Thanks in advance.

GrazzaB

Distinguished Member
Hi

I’ve got twin XXLS400s and I would say that they are possibly a bit more polite than ported subs, although you do get very nice quality / smooth bass with them. I never find Audyssey XT32 to set the levels for the subwoofers anywhere near high enough though, so in all honesty I’m never quite sure if I’ve turned them up too much (I’ve added 5.5dbs to each from the XT32 recommendation of -7/-7.5 dB).

Sorry I can’t do a comparison, but I’m happy to answer any questions you may have.

Cheers

MI55ION

Distinguished Member
With stock apparanlty a few weeks away i thought i could use that time to make a decision.

The typical line is the 400 for music and the P12 for movies. I assume that means the P12 goes a touch lower for booms and explosions but the 400 is faster?

I will be upgrading from the XLS200 which i love and been very happy with, i just want a little bit more depth.

Mainly used watching Sky TV, some films, some youtube music (nothing with a good source), some netflix.

I am worried that the P12 will lose some of the tight, fast and responsive base that the 200 is excellent at ?

Has anyone compared both? Would there be a big difference between them ? Any advice to help me decide?

Thanks in advance.

I've heard all the above and more from BK but the P12. They're all decent subs for the money. The P12 is supposed to dig deeper than the 400 so in a direct comparison may appear a tiny bit slower but that's the nature of deep bass and not a deficiency.

More specifically the perceived "speed" or timing difference between the two options would be mitigated considerably with good subwoofer placement, bass management and room EQ.

So I would suggest go with the one that has more output at the lowest frequencies and concentrate efforts to integrate it properly.

MI55ION

Distinguished Member
Hi

I’ve got twin XXLS400s and I would say that they are possibly a bit more polite than ported subs, although you do get very nice quality / smooth bass with them. I never find Audyssey XT32 to set the levels for the subwoofers anywhere near high enough though, so in all honesty I’m never quite sure if I’ve turned them up too much (I’ve added 5.5dbs to each from the XT32 recommendation of -7/-7.5 dB).

That's absolutely normal:

Equal-loudness contour

This video explains it really well:

Last edited:

dynamitetony

Thank you @MI55ION and @Graham

More specifically the perceived "speed" or timing difference between the two options would be mitigated considerably with good subwoofer placement, bass management and room EQ.

But assuming all things being equal the subs themselves would have different performance abilities.

I am not sure if im worrying about nothing or the speed difference is noticable.

b1g1an

That line was referring to the normal P12 against the 400 which can literally be considered a better value version of the 400 where you 'may' trade a bit of musical fidelity for the cost saving and that extra isn't considered worth it for movies.

The P12 PR is a completely different beast due to the passive driver and especially given your sources that or perhaps even the normal P12 should be a perfect choice.

dynamitetony

Thanks @b1g1an

That comment was given to me recentrly refering to the P12 PR by Tom at BK.

He said, the P12 PR for movies, the 400 for music

That is why i was confused.

MI55ION

Distinguished Member
Thank you @MI55ION and @Graham

But assuming all things being equal the subs themselves would have different performance abilities.

I am not sure if im worrying about nothing or the speed difference is noticable.

Everything being equal yes they will have different performance, not least due to different drivers, box and design. In layman's terms Tom's advice would be generally well taken.

However, as an enthusiast forum if we want to be more nuanced, whether you notice the difference is dependant on other factors such as: experience, tolerance and of course if you go looking for it in day to day use.

My assumption would be that unless its poorly designed, the P12 PR shouldn't be that far off speed/timing wise to the 400 to warrant such concern. I would reiterate the importance of proper setup here.

Once that's factored in, easiest way to know is to test it with some familiar music and see if it can stay in sync with your system, experience plays a role here. Worst case it fails and you have to return it within the 14 days cooling off period. No guarantees however that the 400 would perform significantly better to justify losing the lower end output which is something that'll be more readily noticeable depending on source.

dynamitetony

Everything being equal yes they will have different performance, not least due to different drivers, box and design. In layman's terms Tom's advice would be generally well taken.

However, as an enthusiast forum if we want to be more nuanced, whether you notice the difference is dependant on other factors such as: experience, tolerance and of course if you go looking for it in day to day use.

My assumption would be that unless its poorly designed, the P12 PR shouldn't be that far off speed/timing wise to the 400 to warrant such concern. I would reiterate the importance of proper setup here.

Once that's factored in, easiest way to know is to test it with some familiar music and see if it can stay in sync with your system, experience plays a role here. Worst case it fails and you have to return it within the 14 days cooling off period. No guarantees however that the 400 would perform significantly better to justify losing the lower end output which is something that'll be more readily noticeable depending on source.

Thank you that makes alot of sense.

password1

Distinguished Member
@dynamitetony which sub did you go for?

If the PR is better for movies and xls400 better for music, how about ask bk to fit the passive radiator to an xls400? Assuming the excursion of the radiator is at least the same or greater than the peerless xls400 driver.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom