BK XLS300 MK2 Subwoofer Setup

kit1cat

Any one know if the BK XLS300 MK2 Subwoofer can be set up in a similar fashion to Rel Strata 5 sub? Speakers set to large using Hi/Low level inputs at the same time.

Barry

kit1cat

AFAIK, you can do that, but I wonder why would you want to :confused:
It was just something I was interested in trying if I purchase the xls300. My present sub a Veldohyne cht10 is great with 5.1 but if I want to use it for stereo music I would have to alter the settings to suite. I am after a sub which I can setup for 5.1 and stereo via hi/low level inputs at the same time, and just wondered if the xls300 supported the rel setup.

Barry

R

recruit

Rel subs allow you to feed both signals at the same time, neutrik and Low-Level input, does the BK sub have a neutrik connection and if it does have you tried it ?

Member 96948

Distinguished Member
The BK has exactly the same input capabilities s the REL, except the RELs crossovers can alledgedly be set below the 40Hz minimum of the BK. I say alledgedly, because the 'super low' REL crossovers seem to vary in actual effect from model to model. The BK claims a 40Hz minimum crossover and the REL a 25Hz minimum; The reality shown in the Finnish subwoofer tests is that they both roll off at about 50Hz, regardless of what it says on the tin.

Have a look at this thread and you will see that there is switch for defeating the crossover on the line inputs, whilst allowing the full range of adjustement on the Neutrik/High Level input. This is the dual high/low level input you are after.

Russell

kit1cat

Rel subs allow you to feed both signals at the same time, neutrik and Low-Level input, does the BK sub have a neutrik connection and if it does have you tried it ?

Yes the BK sub has a neutrik input, if I get one I will try it.

Barry

kit1cat

May I ask why?;)
I use Arcam A75+/P75+ Integrated/power amps to listen to stereo music and drive the front left/right speakers from the pre outs of my Marantz SR8500 for av use. I am assuming when listening in stereo from the Arcams that the sub volume will need to be different than in av use. I could be wrong I have never tried it. All the subs I have looked at for av/hi-fi use have separate volume controls for the different inputs. The speakers/sub are set up using a sp meter for av use and I don't want to lose these settings. The cht10 does not support simultaneous use of h/low level inputs.

cribeiro

Novice Member
I use Arcam A75+/P75+ Integrated/power amps to listen to stereo music and drive the front left/right speakers from the pre outs of my Marantz SR8500 for av use. I am assuming when listening in stereo from the Arcams that the sub volume will need to be different than in av use. I could be wrong I have never tried it. All the subs I have looked at for av/hi-fi use have separate volume controls for the different inputs. The speakers/sub are set up using a sp meter for av use and I don't want to lose these settings. The cht10 does not support simultaneous use of h/low level inputs.
OK, I suggest that you look into this thread:
http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=699165&highlight=audiophile

Nimby suggests a good way to sort this out for little money. I have read some comments regarding the quality of Behringer products, but I can't say until I buy it myself (and this will still take some months..). I know Nimby has one, and has no complaints.

In the same thread, you can read in detail the advantages of line-level, 24dB/octave crossovers :smashin:

kit1cat

OK, I suggest that you look into this thread:
http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=699165&highlight=audiophile

Nimby suggests a good way to sort this out for little money. I have read some comments regarding the quality of Behringer products, but I can't say until I buy it myself (and this will still take some months..). I know Nimby has one, and has no complaints.

In the same thread, you can read in detail the advantages of line-level, 24dB/octave crossovers :smashin:
Thanks for the link, it's give me some thing to think about. I already use a BFD on my low level input so I am aware of there products. Am I right in assuming using the Behringer CX2310 for av use you would set speakers to large, sub to no in the av receiver thus sending the lfe channel to the main speakers, set the xover in the CX2310, output to BFD then sub low level input? I can see the advantage in this set up in being able to use the BFD with the stereo output.

cribeiro

Novice Member
Thanks for the link, it's give me some thing to think about. I already use a BFD on my low level input so I am aware of there products. Am I right in assuming using the Behringer CX2310 for av use you would set speakers to large, sub to no in the av receiver thus sending the lfe channel to the main speakers, set the xover in the CX2310, output to BFD then sub low level input? I can see the advantage in this set up in being able to use the BFD with the stereo output.
Almost. The CX2310 would only act as crossover for your stereo amp and for pure stereo reproduction (that is, between Arcam A75 and P75). For AV, you can still use the internal crossover of your AVR.

kit1cat

Almost. The CX2310 would only act as crossover for your stereo amp and for pure stereo reproduction (that is, between Arcam A75 and P75). For AV, you can still use the internal crossover of your AVR.

Why not use it to replace the xover in your av amp? In my setup there is no where to connect it between the A75/P75. I have the A75/P75 bi-amping the main speakers (Wharfedale EVO 30's), the pre outs from the A75 connect to the P75, A75 handles the bass and the P75 the treble, that leaves the pre outs from the P75 to connect to the CX2310. There is only one low level input on the BFD and sub, so where would I connect the output from the av receiver? Nimby gave the impression he was using it for both stereo and av use?

cribeiro

Novice Member
Why not use it to replace the xover in your av amp? In my setup there is no where to connect it between the A75/P75. I have the A75/P75 bi-amping the main speakers (Wharfedale EVO 30's), the pre outs from the A75 connect to the P75, A75 handles the bass and the P75 the treble, that leaves the pre outs from the P75 to connect to the CX2310. There is only one low level input on the BFD and sub, so where would I connect the output from the av receiver? Nimby gave the impression he was using it for both stereo and av use?
You are right :oops: You can also replace the AVR crossover by setting the fronts to large, all other to small and no sub :smashin:

You can also do it the other way, because you have L and R as inputs in the sub. L for the AVR output, R for the Behringer output. But your solution is better :thumbsup:

kit1cat

Just dl the manual for the CX2310, it could be worth trying for £70 or so, the only problem I see is the balanced inputs and outouts on the CX2310, would need new cables or some kind of adaptors.

The latest video from AVForums

Panasonic HZ2000 OLED TV Review: The best OLED for movie viewing in 2020
Top Bottom