1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bk Xls200

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by GFS AV, Mar 1, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GFS AV

GFS AV
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just like to share my thoughts on the qualities of this sub.

When I first got the sub, naturally (after bedding the driver in a little) I put the sub through it's paces, testing it for it's power, control, depth, and SLAM! I was a bit wary of just how far it could go, due it's pocket size! I played a few scenes from appropriately selected DVDs i.e. LOTR ROTK, Blade I & II, etc. As I have sid before, I think the sub is absolutely superb for it's size and price. And this was before it was fully run in (still don't think it is actually).

The main reason for this thread though is:
    I've had the sub about 2 months now, and the other night I watched "SAW" on DVD. Now, as the soundtrack to this film is not one for testing your sub's limits, I just put my feet up and relaxed, concentrating purely on the film, not listening for any particular qualities from my setup. I actually had my amp turned fairly low (about -45db). I got quite engrossed in the film (not everyone's cuppa but hey!), and at one point, I just sat back and thought my god this sounds AMAZING! :eek: That was the point when I couldnt help but listen to the bass properly as well as concentrating on the film. The bass in this particular part of the soundtrack was just a series of simple, clear, loudish, thuds - sort of like a heartbeat.

What I am trying to say is that even at low volumes, when watching films with an average bass quantity, a good sub makes SUCH an improvement to your system!

When I had my previous sub (MS308), I thought it was great at reasonable volume levels. The reason I upgraded was simply because I thought i'd benefit from loud bass-heavy soundtracks. I had NO IDEA I was going to benefit THIS MUCH at low volumes too :clap:

It's not that my old 308 was a bad sub for the money, it just means that spending that bit extra does get you a hell of a lot!

Anybody else like to share your thoughts on similar experiences?

2. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    Coincidentally my nephew was commenting yesterday on how well the BK sounds even at low volumes with music.
    Ditto with films - even at low volumes it contributes significantly.

The biggest thing which has surprised me is how much difference the "bedding in" period makes. It sounds far better now than it did on day 1... and it wasn't bad then! ...PJ

3. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    If you have your speakers set to small all signal from 80Hz to 100Hz (or whatever you have the amp's crossover set to) will be diverted to the sub and that includes much more than just explosions and other LFE sounds.

Unless the main speakers are comparatively expensive they will not handle the lower notes as proficiently as a good subwoofer and if you ever need to know exactly what contribution the sub is making, just switch it off.

4. GFS AV

GFS AV
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yeah mine too! With my current situation I dont really get to crank it up very often, therefore it still has plenty of running in to do. I defintely seems to be sounding better all the time! I agree - when I first got mine I was very happy with the sound. Now that things are loosening up though... :thumbsup:

5. GFS AV

GFS AV
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have tried setting my speakers to small (MS Avant 906, 905c, 902), but at the moment I haven't really noticed any difference. I think it's probably to do with my amps crossover settings. I'll have a fiddle when I get chance.

6. theo cupier

theo cupier

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +113
    I've just upgraded some other parts of my setup (the pre & power amp) from an integrated stereo amp.

The sub is now a far happier, integrated part of the system somehow. The crossover between main speakers and sub is far smoother and the sub itself is not booming as much.

This may also be because - out of necessity - I moved the sub from a position near the corner of the room (6ins from back wall, 8 ins from side wall) to a more central position (8 ins from back wall, 3+ feet from side walls). Also, since it now sits between my front speakers it creates a nicer sound stage. I'm now definitely of the opinion that subs are not as 'non directional' as some people would believe.

When watching movies, I have my E800 set with large front speakers (small centre, but I don't recall why!) and outputting bass to both sub and fronts. I don't notice much difference changing the size of the fronts, one way or the other.

7. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    Excellent point Ian, as with all things hifi, you only miss it once you've already heard it. Otherwise we'd still all be happy with TV speakers and a mini system in the corner.

Conversely, disconnecting your speakers and just running the sub can give an insight into just how much it does add to the proceedings. Luckily for me I can do all of these things from my remote control. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.