1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bk Xls200

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by MSYam, Jan 7, 2005.

1. MSYam

MSYam
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have read 2-3 posts on here about the fact that various manufacturers use the same sub of the BK XLS200 in their subs, then put their name on it.

What I would like to know is which makes/models use this sub. Before I part with my money for one of these beasts, i'd like to know what it would compare with, and how much roughly it would sell for if it had a well known name on it i.e. REL, MJ Acoustics.

Any info/comments would be great guys

2. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    You may have read here that BK Electronics make subwoofers for other companies but I doubt whether you have read that they supply the XLS200 to other companies who then put their own names on it, as that isn't true.

I would have thought that there was enough information in the forum about this particular sub already including forum members testing it against other makes.

3. MSYam

MSYam
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes Ian,

There is a lot of info about the performance of the sub, compared to the likes of the 309,PSW250, etc.., but not compared to higher end subs such as MJ Acoustic's Ref 100, REL Q150 etc.

I did actually read a post saying that other companies put their names on subs from BK. Cant remember who by. I will re-phrase my question:

Which companies do BK make subs for?

4. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    It isn't uncommon in the Hifi and AV industry for companies to have equipment made or assembled for them by other manufacturers but equally the companies prefer that the finer details are not bandied about so you are unlikely to receive an answer to your question.

5. avanzato

avanzato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +60
    The BK special offers page should give a clue as to one of the companies. ;)

6. MuFu

MuFu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    There is no sub available which is just a rebranded XLS200, if that's what you're asking. There are a few that use similar components, e.g. Ruark Vita 200, MJA Reference 200, but nothing absolutely identical. The REL Q200E is very similar, performance-wise. Not quite as good, IMHO (but I've only compared it to a slightly larger BK sub, the SDA-XLS10).

Note that many comparable subs retail for £600+. There are certainly some similarly priced alternatives, but I don't think any quite match the size/performance level of the BK. Makes sense when you look at their business model.

I'd like to know when some of the digital/RC panels are going to start turning up on the BK component pages. :D

7. Cool-hand

Cool-hand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +77
    Hi MSY

Ebay currently has the bk xls200 for sale new with a few goodies for £199 but with 10 bidders and only 20 hours to go!
    You could pick yourself up a bargain!! The sub certainly looks the part ;)

CH

item no: 5742916596

8. MSYam

MSYam
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for that cool-hand.

Had a look at the item. I must admit though, I think i'd rather spend the extra and get a brand spanker. Besides got to wait for mine to sell yet (also currently on eBay). After reading all these ravings about the XLS200, I think it's definately the one to go for.

Cheers

9. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    Good to see it keeps its value! :thumbsup: I was toying with getting the black, but the cherry is closer to the Celestion Ditton 33's I have (still going after 30 years!!)...PJ

10. abnett26247

abnett26247
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ive just bought it because the firm i think is the maker? i looked at the area location same area and the other itemsfor sale (all sub bits i think) and the add says item is NEW? I do believe most people are opting for a down facing sub so it may be the front facing ones like this are not selling ? or they have some hanging around dems, but the add said new so ill let you know ,when i contact the seller, abnett saved about £60 on buying this one , so worth it maybe ????

11. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    If it's new, it looks a bargain. Can't quite understand why you think it's BK themselves who are selling it, looks a private sale to me....PJ

12. abnett26247

abnett26247
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    THE LOCATION IS THE SAME AREA I THINK? ALL THE OTHER BITS FOR SALE ARE SUB BITS ITS NEW ,BUT I MAY BE WRONG? BK GUY TOLD ME LAST WEEK" THE ONLY SUBS SELLING VERY WELL SEEM TO BE THE DOWN FACERS " BECAUSE THIER CHILD PROOF AND WIFE FRIENDLY. IE THE SUB DOES NOT GET STABBED IN THE EYE WHEN MADAM IS POLISHING / DUSTING HIM. BY THE WAY ALL SUBS ARE MALE / BLOKES., IE NOT GIRLY AT ALL!!!!IM NAMEING MINE GEORGE. (ABNETT) :devil:

13. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    BK wouldn't openly say 'Better than a REL'. Both loc's are "on Sea" but that's about it. But to save 60 quid, looks like a good one, don't think many of these will appear on ebay in short to medium term, even less in new condition.
    Happily my room is off limits to wife & kids, forward facer is the one for me. May even leave the grill off!...PJ :thumbsup:
    PS be very careful about starting to name your kit, they may become very spiteful when they get unceremoniously ditched for a better model... ;)

14. Pollywoggle

Pollywoggle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    You are right about about naming stuff, had a car called Suzie once and when she got wind of a replacement she was nothing but trouble :offtopic:

15. cR4cKF0x 5TevE

cR4cKF0x 5TevE

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +276
    I dropped the seller a couple of questions regarding the Ruark Vita 50 and got a response from an email address very similar to the BK address.

Therefore, I think the seller of the Ruark and the BK is BK themselves. Perhaps they had a couple of 'can I send it back for a different colour/model' returns and flogged them on Flea-bay rather than knock them out '2nd hand' direct from BK?

16. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    Perhaps (don't know where the Ruark comes into it - was he/were they selling a Ruark too on ebay?). Seems strange though, and risky to make quotes like "better than a REL" - even if it is! Anyway, got my XLS200 today, still fiddling with it, very impressed so far!...PJ

17. Such

Such

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +98
    would there be any benefit changing from a q200e to the xls200?
    I've had the 200e for a while now - 3-4yrs and do like the look of the xls200.
    Is it worth it or should i consider an svs?

18. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    I doubt whether you would see any benefit in changing from the REL to the BKE but even the cheapest SVS would be a significant step upwards.

19. Cool-hand

Cool-hand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +77
    Could be a thousand and one reasons. But either way you look at it you got an absolute bargain!

CH

20. EmissarY

EmissarY

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Buy the XLS200, u wont regret it for the money. I toyed with the idea of the Ruark 50/100, Rel Q150, and Quake, but in terms of what I got for my money, I am glad i bought one. Remember, the sub is probably the most important piece of your HC speakerwise, it will bring it to life, so just take the plunge and get it! Just remember u will need to tweak a while to get it to sound right, and it does take some time to break in.

21. Prometheus

Prometheus
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Just wanted to say "Thanks a lot" :thumbsup: to everyone I have been chewing the old subwoofer choices around for a few weeks solid........ REL or Ruarks or XLS200 :confused: ,I am not ideally located to be able to soundtest any subs so I am relying on advice. I have been reading every thread I can, on all the subs in my price range (£200 ) and checking Ebay regularly, however I have been swung to the XLS200-DF. Basically I am confident from all of your considered opinions that it is an excellent choice and also I can have the DF in light oak for no additional cost, many manufacturers seem to charge £50-£80 extra for wood finishes. Also BK are supplying high and low level cables and spikes for no extra cost as well, so to my mind this means that the Ruark 100 and the XLS200 are virtually the same cost (assuming that I have to buy these cables anyway).............. I have made my decision and I am ordering my XLS200-DF right now. Thanks again to everyone for helping me to be sure about my decision.

In order to re-pay my debt I will leave my own feelings about the XLS200 when I know what they are ;)

My opinions are my own as I have been kept in a sealed enviroment since birth !! :laugh:

P.S. It's done....... what a great feeling.......THANKS AGAIN !!!!!! :smashin:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

22. cR4cKF0x 5TevE

cR4cKF0x 5TevE

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +276
    The same seller was selling both the Ruark 50 and the BK. Guess it doesn't matter now anyway?

23. abnett26247

abnett26247
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    THE BK i bought on e bay,thought seller might be the maker? i asked his reason for selling it his reply was odd i thought , he told me (e mail ) he had bought TWO of these to be used together his wife spat her dummy out (too many subs culd effect a lady like that me thinks ) Odd he bought two together ?I might have bought just one bigger one, so i can only believe his story who am i to doubt him , Still might be worth ringing BK ask for a discount on front firing subs like ive bought, just a thought?

24. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +128
    He tried to sell the same sub before Christmas but it did not reach the reserve price.
    I asked him if he might be selling the DF version at sometime in the future, he said it might be possible to get one with staff discount so I guess this his how he is able to sell them new on ebay. Maybe!

25. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    Having 2 subs isn't strange, quite a lot of people do it. If I were to upgrade that would probably be the direction I'd go, a single BK outperforms some £800 models without much trouble for less than £300. Two BK's would be quite an arsenal for under £600 (in fact, I think if it were set up properly it would give any SVS a run for it's money :devil: ). :)

26. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    That strikes me as wishful thinking. No matter how many BK subs you array together they still won't plumb the depths that the SVS can reach and I doubt whether the distortion levels would be as low at the bottom end either.

27. abnett26247

abnett26247
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    YES But he told me he has two and found one is enough, two of these costs £600 with packing , so why pay out that for two (SPOUSE UN FRIENDLY?) lumps untried by him it seems? insted of a better /bigger sub or at least try one on its own first? how many of us had a demo on your bk sub by the way any one ?Ididnt chose mine by reading comments on this forum , are we buying these BK subs on reccomendation from this forum,? Is that the wrong way to buy a sub without comparisons ?possibly ,? Any one on this forum have any connection with BK by the way interesting me thinks . ( ABNETT ) :eek:

28. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    There is a member of this forum that is associated with BK. He occasionally answers queries about their products but never interferes in general threads recommending his own products so you have nothing to worry about on that score.

29. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    Don't really understand what you are getting at here. In terms of demoing subs, in an ideal world of plenty of time and shops nearby willing to loan a number of subs for trying in your home environment (which is the best way to try them) yes it would be great. But life isn't like that, and the information and recommendations on forums like this enable us to purchase a sub "blind" confident in the knowledge that it isn't a turkey. For that I'm grateful to the people who take time to respond and help...PJ

30. abnett26247

abnett26247
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well i think the guy who bought 2 subs at the same time BK at aprox £600 only to then find one is enough must have been led to believe he needed two BK subs and reading all the fine words from owners of Bk subs thought two are better than one, if he had a demo he might have saved £300 . so point might be get a demo if you can, or if a product gets good reviews on this forum why not buy two. that could have been the reason he bought two BK subs without a demo ? :confused: