1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

BK- XLS200 Vs XLS200-DF

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by alpha10, Apr 21, 2005.

1. alpha10

alpha10

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    Hi,

I need a small sub and the BK-xls200 seems to fit the bill nicely. I was just wondering if anyone had been able to compare the front and downward firing versions?

Any comments welcome!

Cheers

2. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    The prevailing opinion is that, sound-wise, there is no difference.

...PJ

3. alpha10

alpha10

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    Thanks for that, I suppose with my REL Q100 being forward facing I was a bit worried. Thinking about the physics of it all, you'd just expect better sound by having the drive unit facing you to move the air better?

Cheers

4. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    There's really no need to worry about the driver orientation as long as the unit has been designed and manufactured properly. The physics of the system doesn't change much between the two although they will interact slightly differently within the same room.

I would suggest a forward firer if you want a black or silver finish but a downward firer if you want a veneered finish. :)

5. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    I bought a FF for that reason, also as I have it spiked through carpet I was worried the carpet would act as a sort of baffle/muffle and would have ended up wanting to experiment with putting it on a concrete/marble slab etc.

...PJ

6. micb3rd

micb3rd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    Downfiring a driver may actually evenly load/slot load the driver wether this is actually notacable in room is another story.

If we get down to the nitty gritty the physics does actually change the drivers excursion it is just a small amount.

When a driver is mounted so it is fires downwards it can loose some (a small amount) it is total xmax travel.

How big this is depending on factors like cone mass, the mechanical deflection, cms and the acceleration of gravity (pulling cone down).

In reality it will often be between 0.5mm amd 1mm of xmax depending on the driver, so not really that anything to worry about most of the time.

7. alpha10

alpha10

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    Thanks, I was thinking more in terms of pushing the sound down into the carpet instead of directly towards the listener

I work in radio propagation, so worry about such things....

Cheers

8. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Don't worry about subs firing into the carpet as my old REL Storms did that quite happily as do most other downward firers.

9. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    I'm sure you are right, but some DF subs do seem to employ some sort of "acoustic sub plate". Now, when the likes of Yamaha do this (their pyramid thingymajig) you start to wonder, but by the looks of it the SVS models do too?

...PJ

10. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    The SVS subs do fire downwards into base plates but companies like REL and BK Electronics have been designing and manufacturing downward firing subwoofers for donkeys years and one has to assume that if they thought that their product could be significantly improved by the addition of what is after all a fairly cheap baseplate, I am sure that they would have done it.

11. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    Of course you are right. But you know what happens... even the theoretical prospect of a smidgeon of improvement... hence you try it, cause, well, you can! And of course, having spent money, it does indeed sound better!
    ...PJ :)