BK XLS200 vs SVS SB1000

SinghKing

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Due to the room size (3x3m) and sub placement, I've come down to two options, the BK XLS200 vs SVS SB1000.

I'm torn between the two and it's price difference, which one is option for primarily listening to music?

Is the SB1000 really worth the extra ~£125?

Thanks

Thanks and I'm assuming there aren't any official figures for the frequency response?

I'm looking to reach as close to 20Hz as possible and the review PDF on their page is clearly wrong

Thanks and I'm assuming there aren't any official figures for the frequency response?

I'm looking to reach as close to 20Hz as possible and the review PDF on their page is clearly wrong

XLS200 was measured 35hz +/-3db ages ago, but there was some odd things happening with the frequency knob, bypassed position gave poorer extension and about at 80hz it was better. There is no real world measurements done with the newer mk2 version or any other models. BK just gives some in-room response which haven`t been always truthfull.

SVS measured: The SB-1000’s close-miked response, normalized to the level at 80 Hz, indicates that the lower –3-dB point is at 23 Hz and the –6-dB point is at 21 Hz. The upper –3-dB point is at 162 Hz with the Low Pass Filter control set to maximum.

SVS has 12" Peerless made driver (not a shelf unit), BK 10" Peerless XLS10.

SVS has 5year amp warranty, class-d amp with DSP control. BK has 2year amp warranty with class-ab design.

The lower price would allow you to save up for 2nd XLS200 faster and you might get XLS200 for 310£ as new grade-b if contacting Colosussxb. But then again SVS with more modern design, larger driver, better warranty and no buzzing issues.

There is also the P12-300SB available for 346£ soon, but it´s likely physically too large then. Keep on eye of this site and if you lean toward BK then call to Colosussxb (= BK Elec) number and ask the model you are looking for, it might pop up suddenly!

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
XLS200 was measured 35hz +/-3db ages ago, but there was some odd things happening with the frequency knob, bypassed position gave poorer extension and about at 80hz it was better. There is no real world measurements done with the newer mk2 version or any other models. BK just gives some in-room response which haven`t been always truthfull.

SVS measured: The SB-1000’s close-miked response, normalized to the level at 80 Hz, indicates that the lower –3-dB point is at 23 Hz and the –6-dB point is at 21 Hz. The upper –3-dB point is at 162 Hz with the Low Pass Filter control set to maximum.

SVS has 12" Peerless made driver (not a shelf unit), BK 10" Peerless XLS10.

SVS has 5year amp warranty, class-d amp with DSP control. BK has 2year amp warranty with class-ab design.

The lower price would allow you to save up for 2nd XLS200 faster and you might get XLS200 for 310£ as new grade-b if contacting Colosussxb. But then again SVS with more modern design, larger driver, better warranty and no buzzing issues.

There is also the P12-300SB available for 346£ soon, but it´s likely physically too large then. Keep on eye of this site and if you lean toward BK then call to Colosussxb (= BK Elec) number and ask the model you are looking for, it might pop up suddenly!

Thanks for the comprehensive reply, it all makes sense now.

That's correct about the size, due to limited space, I need something small sadly, hence why the XXLS4000 or PB1000 is out the question which is what a lot of people are recommending. Two subs are also out the question, so it'll have to be one good sub rather than two lesser subs

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
What did you go for in the end?

I have the Bk and was wondering if I should upgrade to the Svs-sb2000 pro or get a second xls200

I have the Bk and was wondering if I should upgrade to the Svs-sb2000 pro or get a second xls200

Well the SVS would be big upgrade we can`t deny that, but there could be benefits adding second identical sub aswell. If you have fairly normal type of room without odd shapes you could download REW program to computer and use the Room Simulation where you add room dimensions and where you sit, it should give you good idea what kind of room response you have and as you can move the subwoofer and listening spot you will see is there any better spots to get better response and also you see what adding the 2nd sub does. It´s very easy to use.

If you live in UK you could also get Arendal 1961 1S model for about 720£ and it should basically give you same kind of performance as SVS with perhaps even greater build quality and similar warranty! So bang for buck is stronger on this model and being cheaper could give you chance to add 2nd in future.

Well the SVS would be big upgrade we can`t deny that, but there could be benefits adding second identical sub aswell. If you have fairly normal type of room without odd shapes you could download REW program to computer and use the Room Simulation where you add room dimensions and where you sit, it should give you good idea what kind of room response you have and as you can move the subwoofer and listening spot you will see is there any better spots to get better response and also you see what adding the 2nd sub does. It´s very easy to use.

If you live in UK you could also get Arendal 1961 1S model for about 720£ and it should basically give you same kind of performance as SVS with perhaps even greater build quality and similar warranty! So bang for buck is stronger on this model and being cheaper could give you chance to add 2nd in future.
Thanks. Will I need any addition equipment like a calibrated microphone etc? Also, will it let me put in different showed rooms and be able to specify any doors or windows etc?

Thanks. Will I need any addition equipment like a calibrated microphone etc? Also, will it let me put in different showed rooms and be able to specify any doors or windows etc?

No microphone needed for the room simulator. You just add room dimensions and move the persons head where yours is in room, the exact measured spot. Then you can move the sub freely and add second also.

roomsim.jpg

What did you go for in the end?

Nothing yet, the BK seems to be out of stock now, will have to call them to find out what's going on.

I found the SVS SB100 to be better than my BK XLS400 let alone a XLS200 which I've also had.

I found the SVS SB100 to be better than my BK XLS400 let alone a XLS200 which I've also had.

Dean, did you mean SB2000 or did you have SB1000 before the larger model? :)

Dean, did you mean SB2000 or did you have SB1000 before the larger model? :)

Yes the SB1000 - I've had pretty much all the SBs ever released apart from the 3000, 4000 and the Pros. BK was good and I was happy with it for a long time.

Yes the SB1000 - I've had pretty much all the SBs ever released apart from the 3000, 4000 and the Pros. BK was good and I was happy with it for a long time.

Thanks, i was always curious about the SB1000 vs XXLS400. Good to know someone has heard both. Do you remember in what way you felt the SB1000 was better product?

Thanks, i was always curious about the SB1000 vs XXLS400. Good to know someone has heard both. Do you remember in what way you felt the SB1000 was better product?

I felt it had a bit more impact with movies, always found the BK XLS400 a bit soft in the lowest regions. Both were equally good with music.

When the P12-300SB-DF was reviewed by AVForums, a similar question was asked in the related discussion thread. Ed Selley who did the review responded suggesting that the P12-300SB-DF was superior to the SVS SB1000. Many suggest that the BK XXLS400 is a slighly better sub than the P12-300SB-DF so you'd have to therefore conclude that the XXLS400 is a better sub than the SB1000?

by default 2020-10-20 at 15.24.14.png

When the P12-300SB-DF was reviewed by AVForums, a similar question was asked in the related discussion thread. Ed Selley who did the review responded suggesting that the P12-300SB-DF was superior to the SVS SB1000. Many suggest that the BK XXLS400 is a slighly better sub than the P12-300SB-DF so you'd have to therefore conclude that the XXLS400 is a better sub than the SB1000?

View attachment 1385206

Thanks, intresting indeed as over the years few members have thought the same but often the decision has been made in the end either regarding the size of cabinet (SVS) or the finish & price (BK). I have asked @Ed Selley and @Steve Withers to do group test with subwoofers for AVForums. It would give lot more information about the strengths/weaknesses and sound (bass) quality when directly compared in same room level matched. Hope they can consider something like that in future. :) HCC did one at summer, but sadly BK wasn´t included.

I've recently been deliberating whether to buy the P12-300SB-DF or a SB1000. I wanted one in white which drives the SVS price up considerably. You can effectively buy the even more accomplished BK P12-300SB-PR for less than what is being asked for a SB1000 in white and the AVForums review for that sub declares it the best you can get for under £500.

The one thing the SVS sub has going for it is the fact it is slighly more compact, but it is also a forward firing sub so you'd still have some issues with locating it that would be less apparent with a downward firing sub.

Anyway, I went for the P12-300SB-DF in the end and it arrives next week.

If reference to the P12-300SB-PR review I menyioned, the following conclusions were posted in that review:

What are my alternatives?
There are plenty of alternative subwoofers in the £500-700 price range, although none that can touch the P12-300SB-PR in terms of value and performance.

However, the REL HT/1205 is certainly a good choice, benefiting from the company's experience and subwoofer expertise. Its low-frequency delivery is superb and, thanks to a 12-inch driver and 500W of Class D amplification, it goes deep but remains controlled. As a result, bass remains tight rather than boomy, with a performance that has power and agility. However, it doesn't go as low as the BK, and at £699 it's very pricey.

The Fyne Audio F3-12 looks better value at £599 but it's still expensive compared to the P12-300SB-PR. However, the F3-12 is a genuinely impressive subwoofer, with a ported cabinet that hits the lower frequencies, while remaining surprisingly agile and controlled. There's excellent responsiveness and plenty of detail, as this subwoofer delivers a performance that feels deeper than its quoted specs.

In terms of other choices, the XTZ 12.17 is another cracking sub that also produces deep and controlled bass with power and responsiveness, and it will also set you back £599. Finally, there's the SVS PB-1000, which has been around for a while but remains an excellent ported sub with deep bass and plenty of power. Best of all it only costs £519, which puts it at the turnstile of the P12-300SB-PR's ballpark.

The most poignant aspect to that conclusion relative to the discussion here being:

Finally, there's the SVS PB-1000, which has been around for a while but remains an excellent ported sub with deep bass and plenty of power. Best of all it only costs £519, which puts it at the turnstile of the P12-300SB-PR's ballpark.

Last edited:
I've recently been deliberating whether to buy the P12-300SB-DF or a SB1000. I wanted one in white which drives the SVS price up considerably. You can effectively buy the even more accompliahed BK P12-300SB-PR fopr less than the SB100 and the AVForums review for that sub declares it the best you can get for under £500.

The one thing the SVS sub has going for it is the fact it is slighly more compact, but it is also a forward firing sub so you'd still have some issues with locating it that would be less apparent with a downward firing sub.

Yes, if the size isn´t issue then the decision leans easily more toward BK! Nothing to touch it at new for similar price. I had satin white BK Gem II years ago, very nice looking "furniture" especially the DF variant!

After you have played with it some time post your thoughts on the P12 thread. :smashin: Some members have reported noticeable change after the driver has some hours behind it.

I've recently been deliberating whether to buy the P12-300SB-DF or a SB1000. I wanted one in white which drives the SVS price up considerably. You can effectively buy the even more accomplished BK P12-300SB-PR for less than what is being asked for a SB1000 in white and the AVForums review for that sub declares it the best you can get for under £500.

If reference to the P12-300SB-PR review I menyioned, the following conclusions were posted in that review:

The most poignant aspect to that conclusion relative to the discussion here being:

Finally, there's the SVS PB-1000, which has been around for a while but remains an excellent ported sub with deep bass and plenty of power. Best of all it only costs £519, which puts it at the turnstile of the P12-300SB-PR's ballpark.

The XXLS400 is a really old subwoofer now, almost 12 years old I think. If you were going to compare it against the P12-300SB-DF some people might assume it's better just because of the the peerless driver I guess. but maybe there's been some improvement with the P12-300SB-DF amplifier section.

I felt the SB1000 was consistently a better sub for movies in my experience than the XXLS400 and it looks and feels a much more modern especially due with its DSP amplifier and even the back panel looks a decade ahead. My XXLS400 also developed an amp fault while I've never had any issues with any SVS SBs I've owned. SVS prices have crept up though so maybe not the bargain s they once were.

The P12-300SB-DF sounds like a great bargain though and I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

The XXLS400 is a really old subwoofer now, almost 12 years old I think. If you were going to compare it against the P12-300SB-DF some people might assume it's better just because of the the peerless driver I guess. but maybe there's been some improvement with the P12-300SB-DF amplifier section.

I felt the SB1000 was consistently a better sub for movies in my experience than the XXLS400 and it looks and feels a much more modern especially due with its DSP amplifier and even the back panel looks a decade ahead. My XXLS400 also developed an amp fault while I've never had any issues with any SVS SBs I've owned. SVS prices have crept up though so maybe not the bargain s they once were.

The P12-300SB-DF sounds like a great bargain though and I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

Thanks for all your replies, the Amp is probably what's selling the SVS for me as I've read a number of stories (ie humming).

It says that the amp is cool-running, is there actually a significant temperate difference between the two or is it just marketing?

Thanks for all your replies, the Amp is probably what's selling the SVS for me as I've read a number of stories (ie humming).

It says that the amp is cool-running, is there actually a significant temperate difference between the two or is it just marketing?

Svs use class d, bk class ab by the looks of it.

Normally I prefer and stick to class ab for speaker amps, but for subs I'll stick with class d. More power, cheaper, more efficient, less heat

The BK sub uses Class A/B while the SVS sub uses Class D. Class D amplification does ordinarilly run cooler than Class A/B mainly due to the fact that Class D amplification is more efficient than Class A/B so you'd not exoperience as much energy being lost as heat if using Class D.

There is a white SVS SB1000 in the classifieds 👍

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom