1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

BK XLS200 vs SVS PB10, the contest :)

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by Kazman, Feb 3, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +139
    Well, it looks like there will be a head to head with the BK XLS200 and the SVS PB10.

Ian J and myself have agreed to do a side by side test. Don't know when it will be exactly, but hopefully within the next few weeks.

It will be taking place at Chez Ian, and it should be a very interesting match up :).

2. GFS AV

GFS AV
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This should be fun :)

However, as most of us know, the BK will struggle to keep up with the SVS. Just look at the size difference for a start. :rolleyes: Saying that, we all also know just what the XLS200 is capable of despite it's size!

It will be interesting to find out how big the gap is between them though, in terms of sound quality.

3. Jimbobgod

Jimbobgod
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Isn't there a bit of difference in price too though? I looked at the SVS PB10, but having been quoted $150 for door to door delivery, and taking into account import duty and VAT, I decided to go the BK route...and buy British! (if you ignore the driver unit :rolleyes: )

4. GFS AV

GFS AV
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    $150 door to door! :confused: I'll have three :laugh:

Seriously though, I think the SVS PB10 is around the £350 - £400 mark, in whic case it should be better than the XLS200.

If it was'nt for the :eek: size :eek: of the SVS, I think i'd have saved up for it rather than sticking to the BK. I think if I had an SVS in my bedroom, i'd have nowhere to kip :laugh:

5. GFS AV

GFS AV
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    One sub I would love to see against these two subs is the Velodyne CHT-10R. This was another on my list.

Any chance of you guys acquiring one from anywhere whilst testing the SVS and BK??

6. Diamond

Diamond

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Very interesting. In Finland there is no BK though.. Isn't that danish Peerless' driver?

7. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +139
    Unfortunately, due to both myself and Ian being busy at the moment, this little side by side test may not happen until approx mid March.

If someone feels that they have a sub worthy of being in the test, let me or Ian know by PM, if Ian is ok with more rabble joining in of course :D

8. esquire415

esquire415

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    [​IMG]

I wonder if the down-firing sub of the BKelectronics will be reviewed. Would be nice if the shootout would include a REL Q200e and MJ Reference 200 too :smashin:

There's also the equivalent DefTech Supercube, Velodyne SPL series, Hsu VTF-2 MK 2, Paradigm Seismic subs, Sunfire Truesubwoofer SuperJunior, and the new Martin Logan Dynamo. :cool:

9. Nimby

Nimby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +669
    Keep it simple. 2 subs for comparison is enough for one sitting.
    The more you try and fit in, the more meaningless the whole thing becomes.

Nimby

10. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    It will be the downfiring version as that's what Kaz has.

I agree with Nimby, getting a lot of subs in takes a lot of time as we found at the other sub test. I might be able to provide some RTA software to provide a quick approximate frequency response plot. I can't stress enough that the frequency response tells you very little about a subs overall performance though.

11. esquire415

esquire415

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well Kazman suggested it and Ian doesn't seem to be disagreeing with his non-comment so I guess there will be a couple more in the shootout. More subs doesn't necessarily mean less meaningful test results. It just means that it will take longer to publish the results because there are more subs to test. Yeah, if the time frame is a constraint, then it would be best to just have two but it looks like there isn't really a set deadline.

12. dinoprada2003

dinoprada2003

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +262
    I agree with GFS AV i'd love to see a CHT-10R versus a SVS showdown if you guys could stretch to three subs? :eek:

13. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +139
    It all depends on time guys, a test of Subs isn't a quick thing, and we want to do both subjective and scientific measurements to the best of our abilities.

Adding a third sub may push us for time and therefore we would need to cut back on some tests which wouldnt really be fair.

I know a lot of people are awaiting the results, but both Ian and I are very busy people, and the earliest we can do this could be the first week or two of March, so please bear with us.

Also, we are talking about someone elses home, two subs going very loudly is probably enough, and it really is up to Ian if he wouldn't mind a third person with a CHT-10R coming to the test aswell, I for one would FULLY understand if Ian does not have the time to incorporate another sub into the test. :)

If someone wishes to bring a CHT-10R to my place, I'd be more than willing to do a head to head with the BK XLS200 :). But this would probably take place after the BK vs PB10 comparison :).

14. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +139
    Quick update.

The BK XLS200 vs PB10 test will take place on the 13th of March, the other comparison mentioned above will take place on dates yet to be confirmed, but will be arranged once the 13th comparison has passed.

15. mhuk05

mhuk05

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +215
    Will it be blind? ie a 3rd party setting it up without you knowing which one it is?

16. Nimby

Nimby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +669
    That might be difficult if they all sit in a row on the PB10 to listen to the XLS200. :)

Then they all have to stand up again to listen to the PB10. :devil:

Nimby

17. rags

rags

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +304
    My PB10 should be arriving next week - I am looking forward to finding out how this subwoofer performs.

18. bob1

bob1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +129
    Will you be using the pb10 or are you just buying it to satisfy your curiosity and selling on?
    Anyhow i will be looking forward to what you think, i myself have had limited experence will subs the pb10 being my 3rd, all i know its the best i've had so far.

19. rags

rags

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +304
    Bob - I am currently without sub and I bought it to keep me going for a few weeks. It will be selling it on eventually. Will definately post my thoughts.

20. mhuk05

mhuk05

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +215
    @nimby :)

21. micb3rd

micb3rd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    I would be interest to join the testers on the 13th.

I have quite a disearning ear for bass.

22. rags

rags

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +304
    Well I received the PB10 earlier in the week. I havent hooked it up yet but I definately dont like the way it looks and feels. It just looks cheap and tacky (maybe its the grey finish thats makes it look so) and the and the enclosure feels like plastic. It also has a huge footprint for a 10" subwoofer - in volume terms its probably more than a lot of 15" subwoofers. Its so large that it in my opinion it kind of defeats the purpose of having a 10" driver for HC - however maybe thats how SVS are giving you all that bang for your buck - a small driver with a smallish amp in a cheap but massive ported enclosure.

Of course the most important bit is the performance and ill start a seperate thread on this with my opinions once I have given it a good run. I have had quite a few subwoofers in my room and it should make for a good comparison.

23. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Rags - Does it look big in you're room?

24. rags

rags

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +304
    Recruit - dont know yet. Its lying unpacked in my store room. Its just very very large for its driver size and it will definately stick out in my HC room given the way it looks.

25. bob1

bob1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +129
    Once you have got over the size shock ,plug it in and tell us what you think.
    I think you were expecting a different sub ,don't foget this is a budget sub so costs have to be cut somewhere,maybe the grey isn't for you but it matches my tv and just disappears, well almost.They could have made it look nice but i'm shure that would have pushed the cost up,maybe a real wood veneer would look nice.

26. rags

rags

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +304
    Will do Bob. I am hoping to try it against a few other subs before I post my findings. Looking at its dimensions and weight and my experiences with other SVS subs I am definately expecting it to be a corker in the performance stakes. I am going to hook it up next weekend once my other sub arrives.

Its still a £400 (or maybe a touch under) sub even with the current favourable exchange rate. With a bit of haggling (something I assume is not possible with SVS) I can get a B&W ASW650 for £400-425 or even a Velodyne CHT12R. I dont know how the B&W or Velo will stack up against the SVS but they are of "normal dimensions" and definately look a lot better in the flesh. Plus with them you have the comfort of local dealer backup.

27. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +139
    Stop typing and start testing dagnabbit :D

28. Ree01

Ree01

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ooh, I'm definitely looking forward to this! :clap:
    I have been thinking about buying one of these.
    *counting the days*

Edit: Will you publish the results of the tests on 13th of March, or will you just start the testing then? (I'm very eager to know the results ;) )
    Btw I'm hoping for the XLS200 to win, since it's cheaper. heh.

29. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +139
    I'm sure we'll post a summary of the test on the 13th and spreadsheets of results can come later once we have compiled them.

I personally doubt that the BK will go as loud as the PB10 (the larger enclosure will most likely see to that), but I feel the BK will have enough quality to keep up with the PB10 in most other areas. We'll have to wait until Sunday to find out though :D

30. Ilkka R

Ilkka R

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    Will you be taking any measurements or is it just listening?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.