1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

BK XLS200 vs MJ Acoustics Reference 100

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Clint C, Sep 29, 2003.

1. Clint C

Clint C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I'm new to the "sub" scene and any help would be greatfully appreciated.

I'd like to know anyone's thoughts on how the BK XLS200 would compare to the MJ Acoustics Reference 100 sub.

Thanks in advance.

2. MuFu

MuFu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I cancelled my Ref 100 order for a BK sub very similar to the XLS200, which is similarly well finished, has a more powerful amp, better drive unit, is cheaper and comes with a high level lead (although you probably won't need one). The only downside is the slightly larger size, but that is obviously far outweighed by superior performance.

An easy choice, IMHO. :)

MuFu.

3. Matt F

Matt F

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Does anyone know how the BK XLS 200 compares with the REL Q200 as they look very similar as do the specs.

I only ask 'cus there's a lot of good reports about the BK and yet the Q200 was never very popular on this forum.

Matt.

4. Clint C

Clint C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Thanks for that MuFu. I just did a search on the forum for XLS200. Doh, I should have done a search first as I was surprised at how many comparisons have already been mentioned in previous posts between this sub woofer and others. You guys must be copying and pasting answers in for repeated questions all the time, but thanks again. :smashin:

5. dunkyboy

dunkyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    The Q200 isn't a bad sub - it's a very decent AV-oriented sub for the size. I think most people's problem with it is its price, which is extortionate for the performance. I'd love to do a direct head-to-head shootout between the Q200, Q150, and BK 200. The BK looks almost identical to the 200, though with a meatier-looking amp, and slightly different driver (quite similar in appearance to the new driver in the Q150 Mk. II). I'm sure it would be interesting.

Dunc

6. Matt F

Matt F

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I am speaking from experience Dunc as I used to own a Q200 - it wasn't bad but my older Q50 bettered it in some ways. The Q200 did some things well but really got into trouble with the deep stuff.

I was just a little suprised that a lot of people have been raving about the BK when the Q200 got a lot of stick - remember this thread?:

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=31044&highlight=subterfuge

I take on board what you say about their relative prices though - the Q200 is damned expensive and there are better subs for that kind of money - the BK at £280 looks very good value - I just wonder how it would compare with the slightly dearer CHT10.

Matt.

7. Mogli

Mogli

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +133
    Hey Matt,

Well i was faced with same decision not so long ago and after a lot of thought and speaking to Dan Gleebles and co. I went for the BK and that was primarily because they manafacture sub for a number of "Brands" but contrary to belief i dont think they are manafacturing them for Rel anymore. They do however make them for another brand which is very well respected and I think i can quite safely say that they were responsible for putting Rel on the map with the q50 and q100 series. I dont think i would be wrong to say that they dont actually make the newer models such as the 150 and 200. So taking that into account and discounting any negative press for the 150 or 200 which cant really be aimed at them... i think the BK is a good deal and you would have to go some to better it especially at 280 notes.

It would be interesting to see how it does against the cht10 and i think with added cabinet size it would be a good contest. But the BK does have a 200 watt amp compared to the 150 in Velo which could help even it out slightly.

Just my opinion,

Hus