BK xls200 setup questions

HMHB

Outstanding Member
Reaction score
Basically I haven't got a clue what I'm doing !
I've set the amp up to tell it I've got a subwoofer and set the crossover on the amp to 80, but still have the front left/right set to large as they are floorstanders.
I followed the brief setup instructions for the sub in the leaflet enclosed but haven't got a clue what the controls do.
High Level Gain - this is set to min at the moment, what is this ?
Low Level Gain - I turned this up until I could hear the sub
Frequency - this is set to max 120 at the moment but not sure what it does.
Phase - this is set to zero and yet again I haven't got a clue !

John

If you are using the low level connector (ie single cable from your amp) then you don't need to worry about the high level gain.

Low level gain is basically the volume control on the sub. In general terms 'turning it up until you can hear it' is the right thing to do, but you can play around with it a lot more as it beds in and you get used to it, to get the right balance.

Frequency - since your amp has a crossover setting, you can probably ignore this and leave it at 120 since your amp is controlling what frequencies are sent to the subwoofer. It may be worthwhile checking that your main speakers can go as low as 80Hz, otherwise there will be a gap between their bottom end and the sub's top end. but I expect you're Ok here.

Phase - difficult (for me) to explain. The most consistent advice I've read here about it is 'play with it and see where it sounds best'. Pick something familiar to listen to and gradually turn this dial, sit & listen, then repeat until you find where your sub sounds best.

That's my newbie-to-newbie guide, I'm sure you'll get more details from the likes of EvilJohn & Nimby

JohnG said:
Basically I haven't got a clue what I'm doing !
I've set the amp up to tell it I've got a subwoofer and set the crossover on the amp to 80, but still have the front left/right set to large as they are floorstanders.
I followed the brief setup instructions for the sub in the leaflet enclosed but haven't got a clue what the controls do.
High Level Gain - this is set to min at the moment, what is this ?
Low Level Gain - I turned this up until I could hear the sub
Frequency - this is set to max 120 at the moment but not sure what it does.
Phase - this is set to zero and yet again I haven't got a clue !

Presume you have the sub connected to the sub out of the amp via a single phono? if so...

High level - ignore this and set it to min

Low level gain - sounds like you have done the right thing, usually this will be set around the mid point or just above

Frequency - again round the mid point should be fine, though as you have set the amp crossover to 80 I don't think it will make any difference if you have it above 80

Phase - leave as zero

If this sounds Ok you shouldn't need to fiddle with them any more.

One tip - does your amp have the ability to vary the sub volume? If so, set it to the mid setting on the amp then set the low level gain on the sub. Now you will be able to very the sub volume on the amp lower or higher without needing to fiddle with the sub. I tend to find music I turn the sub up a little, and turn it down for films!

Happy rumblings!...PJ

Ok thanks for that mate. I am connected using the single phono connection.

theo cupier said:
John
That's my newbie-to-newbie guide, I'm sure you'll get more details from the likes of EvilJohn & Nimby
If you insist. ;)

John, there's nothing intrinsically difficult about the basic setup. Tweaking the sound so that it's just right for you is a never-ending task though!

It's a lot easier to do the basics if you've got an SPL meter but without one you can compromise with "just" your hearing.

I always recommend following a few guidelines for starting off with:
Set amp crossover to 100Hz, all speakers to small, sub to "On". Don't worry that they're floorstanders, they'll still be getting plenty of signal even with the amp setting them to small.

You only need to connect the single phono connection between your LFE output on the amp and the LFE input on your sub. The high level input is more directed at people who use dedicated stereo amps.

The first thing you need to do is set the phase to zero and the crossover dial to maximum - it should click in which bypasses the internal filtering.

Next you need to balance the output levels as you do with your other speakers - this is where an SPL meter comes in handy. Your subwoofer should be at the same volume as the rest of your speakers, if you don't have an SPL meter, set them to the same volume by ear and then turn the sub down a bit as our ears get a bit funny at low frequencies.

You now have your sub setup to a basic level (I think you're at this stage already).

Now, sit in your listening position with a cool beverage and put on some stereo music that you know well and has a decent bass output (I'd recommend the Clash to you :thumbsup: ). Next, get your lackey to slowly change the crossover dial and see what you think about the results, get them to leave it at the point where you're happiest with the overall sound - this could be anywhere between the complete bypass and down to about 40Hz. Now you're another step closer to low frequency happiness.

After this it's just a case of tweaking the settings and seeing what you think. You can try changing the amplifiers crossover frequency to 80Hz, try both main speakers as large with the sub output set to "both". Try adjusting the subs phase and so on.

Basically, it's up to you what you change but the above settings should at least get you going. :)

Cheers mate :thumbsup:
Looks like I've done the basics (apart from setting speakers to small), now it's time to play with it. On first listening I couldn't really hear bass notes from the sub - just a sort of muffled low rumble kind of sound, but I didn't try much music to be honest, I stuck Master & Commander DVD on and crapped myself with the canon shots :D

Just to show my complete ignorance...... what is an SPL meter ?

Sound Pressure Level Meter
They're a small meter with a microphone that measures how loud the ambient sound level is.

I'd definitely recommend getting one of these to set up your system, easily the most cost effective "upgrade" that you can do. They're about £30 from Keene Electronics or Cornwall Electronics amongst others, I use the analogue Radio Shack model. :)

Thanks once again, I'll get one of those.

JohnG,

To set the sub accurately it's best to use an spl meter and a calibration disc. I was exactly the same as most newbie sub owners in that I initially had the subs gain set to about 12 o'clock. Yeah it did sound impressive and I could certainly 'feel' the bass but as time went by I began to realise the bass was overpowering the low mids and the lower frequencies not being handled by the sub. Eventually I got round to buying an SPL meter (around £25 for an anologue one) and the gain level had to be turned way down. I then got a copy of DVE from the power buy section and found the tone levels on my Marantz 4300 were around 5db too high for the LFE channel. I believe the levels on newer receivers are more accurate though. My gain setting is now at around 20% and I must say although I've lost allot of the bass impact you get by cranking up the gain I think overall the end result of proper calibration is much more satisfying. All the speakers are now set to the same level and the speakers nit together nicely. With an SPl meter and a calibration disc your whole HT system will benefit.

I just got my XLS200 today... set all as said in this post.. then used Denon 2805 to do auto-setup.. it actuall set the sub at -3.5db.. I tested with ROTK and the grille was blown off by the bass !! Is this usual, or are my levels still to high.. dont have an SPL yet...

Speedluvver said:
Is this usual, or are my levels still to high.. dont have an SPL yet...
:eek:
No, and probably yes!

You 'aint having us on are you?

If not, well done that man! You'll go down in folklore!

(either that or the grill was loose)

:) ...PJ

I've noticed that the grill on mine is very loose and doesn't seem to want to stay on.

Very pleased I bought this :thumbsup:
I haven't bothered putting the spikes on yet, is there benefit in doing this - it's sitting on a carpet floor at the moment.

I havn't got the spikes on mine but it's resting on some doorstops as feet. Although a good solid support is ideal it's more important to try and get the base off of the floor where it gets dusty, kicked and marginally helps with untoward reflections.

Glad you're happy with it matey, I've just got my pair working right and it's very impressive. :)

JohnG said:
Very pleased I bought this :thumbsup:
I haven't bothered putting the spikes on yet, is there benefit in doing this - it's sitting on a carpet floor at the moment.

I have mine on spikes, but I used a "pointier" set I had knocking about which go through the carpet & underlay almost without touching it. The ones supplied should do the trick though and I'd imagine will "promote a more detailed and accurate representation of the bass transients". ;)

...PJ :)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom