BK XLS200 set up help needed.

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by P-P-S-S, Jan 11, 2012.

1. P-P-S-S

P-P-S-S

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +94
    I have had my BK XLS200 DF sub for a few years now connected to my Onkyo 605 amp. It was working very nicely until recently I moved house and had to set up the whole thing again. I did the Audyssey calibration through my amp. I have noticed though that when my sub is on it does this low thrumming vibration noise all the time. When I touch the membrane it is constantly vibrating too. Anyone knows what is causing this?

Also since all my knobs on the back (Gain, Level, etc) were changed during the move, does anyone know where I should set them please? It was about 3 years ago since I did the last calibration so I have completely forgotten everything about it so please feel free to treat me as a beginner.

PS: I do have an SPL meter if that is required.

2. PSM1

PSM1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,404
    Do you still get the noise when you unplug the phono from the sub? or unplug the phono from the amp?
    Hae you got anything on top or near the sub that was not there before? I had a noise issue on my sub a while ago and it ended up being because my wife put our wireless home phone charging/recieving unit on top of the sub (thought it looked good there!!!!). I found it by moving the sub to another room and the noise went so then looked to see what was different/close to the sub in the location that it made a noise.

3. jb001e9634

jb001e9634

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Re: setting your sub up, I have gain(s) - if using high and low level connections - at about 10 o'clock and I've let my AVR set volumes. I think (from memory) that the only other thing is to let the sub get all the bass below 120 hz by turning the filter control to LFE. Adjust the frequency control appropriately to get the cross over right. Play wiht the phase control until it sounds right for you.

Link to manual on BK web site here if needed ... http://www.bkelec.com/hifi/Sub_Woofers/XLS200 MK2 MANUAL.pdf

HTH
    JB

4. P-P-S-S

P-P-S-S

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +94
    Now that you mention it I do have both the VirginMedia wireless router and Apple Time Capsule literally 2 inches away from it. I'll try moving them to the other side (6 feet away) and hopefully that'll sort it out.

Thank you, I do use both high and low level connections so I'll give this a try. If I let the sub get the bass below 120hz do I turn the frequency control to 120hz at the back?

5. mfife

mfife

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Make sure your gain knobs do not exceed the 12 o'clock position.