bk xls200 or xls400 cant decide mainly will be used for movies

Atari2600

i cant decide what sub to get i will be mainly using it for movies but also music but not alot so more interested in the sub to go low as possible and have a nice decent punch to it at the same time.

i will be getting monitor audio r90 as fronts and rear
what sub would you recommend between the 2?

markymiles

Distinguished Member
Pretty straight forward answer, the xxls400.

It's bigger, more powerful and will go lower. Numerous threads on here already with xxls400 recommendations.

KelvinS1965

Distinguished Member
Go for a pair of Monoliths or an SVS Ultra of some description...or at least the XLS400 over the XLS200. ;)

Atari2600

thanks, just trying to justify my self on paying around 400 pounds for a sub its more than what i wanted to pay to be honest, i can just about stretch to the price of a xls200,

xls400 will fit right in the space were it needs to go, but its all to do with my budget

Prize78

My advice would be to save for the 400. If you get the 200, you'll most probably be wondering "what if?"....save yourself an upgrade, and go straight in for the 400. I doubt you'll regret it.

KelvinS1965

Distinguished Member
I tried the XLS200 (it was a step up from a KEF '1000 sub I had previously), but I soon wondered 'what if?' so got the Monolith. The XLS200 does good service in my conservatory setup, which gets plenty of use in the summer, so it's not wasted.

DodgeTheViper

I tried the XLS200 (it was a step up from a KEF '1000 sub I had previously), but I soon wondered 'what if?' so got the Monolith. The XLS200 does good service in my conservatory setup, which gets plenty of use in the summer, so it's not wasted.

Your thoughts on the Monolith ?

Standard or + version ?

What size room is it in etc ?

Cheers

KelvinS1965

Distinguished Member
Much deeper than the XLS200, it can pressurise the room which the XLS200 couldn't do (it rattles the living room door at the opposite end of the room, on occasions). Mine is an older standard one (I think I've had it 3 years now?) but it's got a newer (standard) driver and the high pass filter mod after Audyssey helped wreck the original driver. :( The room is 6.5m x 4m, the only issue is that in my seat there is a dip at 35Hz, so I'm tempted to get a second one to put in another place to help with this issue, though I might just try an Antimode first.

DodgeTheViper

Thanks for the info :smashin:

A lot of people seem to have issues around the 40hz - 35hz region in relation to their seating position, me included.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom