Bk XLS200 or Ms309i

Hey, Long time reader but just signed up.

Right, my old 309w isn't working anymore so am looking to upgrade my sub. To be honest, I was very happy with the 309w's performance, would the 309i perform better due to the 25w extra and a revised driver or is there no difference?

Also, I've noticed everyone highly praises the BK XLS200 sub, would it worth spending £150ish extra and going for this instead? Please note I was very happy with the 309w.

Help me make my mind up, Thanks :thumbsup:

IronGiant

Please note I was very happy with the 309w.

I think you answered your own question there :) I'd stick with the 309i, unless you are asking the question because you really want us to recommend you to upgrade :thumbsup:

Dave

-=Rob=-

I nearly went for a 309i before I purchased my XLS200. The savings were very good in comparison, however I preferred the look of the BK and size of the BK was important factor for me due to placement. The 309i wouldn't have fitted.... Consider things like this too and not just the price. Performance I believe are similar reading up on here. I do think the BK may have the edge on the MS though.

PeteW123

I nearly went for a 309i before I purchased my XLS200. The savings were very good in comparison, however I preferred the look of the BK and size of the BK was important factor for me due to placement. The 309i wouldn't have fitted.... Consider things like this too and not just the price. Performance I believe are similar reading up on here. I do think the BK may have the edge on the MS though.

From what I have read the BK XLS200 is better than the 309i. Yes it is smaller and that would normally mean less capable for a subwoofer all other things being equal. But my understanding is that the sheer quality of the XLS200 means that it aces the 309i comfortably. Don't forget the BK is direct from the maker, and therefore value for money in a way the 309i cannot be.

But having said that, I cannot say that I am right as I have not got a 309i to make a comparison. :(

So if the OP does get an XLS200 I would be fascinated to see his feedback ;)

IronGiant

Don't forget the original list price of the 309i was much higher than you can get it for today (there are still places selling it for £230 or more).

Also don't forget the importance of your room in dictating how a sub sounds. I think you can be fairly confident the 309i will sound as good in your room as the 309W did. Whether the same can be said of the BK in your room can only be determined by trying one out. It may of course sound a lot better :thumbsup:

Dave

PeteW123

The 309 and XLS200 sound very similar indeed. :)

interesting.

am I right in thinking that the xls200 goes louder, as it is rated at 275W compared to the 175W of the 309i?

Regardless, I can only say I am very happy with the xls200. It costs more at £290, but that includes some quality cables that would cost over £50 in the shops. So the price is very similar to that of the 309i, the sound is very similar, the xls200 is smaller (but weighs more) and I have to say looks better, especially the DF version, I have also read that the build quality of the xls200 is noticeably better in another thread :) :cool:

Swings and roundabouts :devil:

Money's not a problem so I can easily get the XLS200 and I'm leaning towards that way now aswell considering the fact that it goes a lot lower than the 309 aswell.

Before I finalise, Is the 309i a improvement over the 309w? I mean, will it go noticed? :)

Badger0-0

Distinguished Member
interesting.

am I right in thinking that the xls200 goes louder, as it is rated at 275W compared to the 175W of the 309i?

Regardless, I can only say I am very happy with the xls200. It costs more at £290, but that includes some quality cables that would cost over £50 in the shops. So the price is very similar to that of the 309i, the sound is very similar, the xls200 is smaller (but weighs more) and I have to say looks better, especially the DF version, I have also read that the build quality of the xls200 is noticeably better in another thread :) :cool:

Swings and roundabouts :devil:

The XLS200 is sealed, so needs more power to produce the same output when compared to the MS.

I agree with the previous opinion that both are similar.

As for build quality, I can only say that the 309 was excellent in that regard :confused: although BK is good too. (FWIW, I thought my Monolith's build quality was decidedly cheap, but that's by the by).

As for the cables, I'm dubious to say the least.

It would seem I'm totally biased to the 309 :D

But it's not really true.
Either would be a good buy, it's just a matter of which you prefer re: looks, IMO.

Ideally you should go and listen, but I appreciate this is difficult and you'd be happy with both, IMO.

IronGiant

I doubt you would notice any difference between the 309w and the 309i unless you had the old one up and running to compare them side by side (but this is just supposition :)) I agree with Badger, that you will no doubt be happy with either :)

Dave

Only way I can see the BK being better is the extra power and the lower extention but am leaning towards the 309i as I was perfectly happy with it and it looks nice aswell. Save the pennies and order the Sony STR-DG820 amp as I'm currently using a Yamaha AX750se which is old now.

IronGiant

Although I would have splashed the cash and gone for the BK, which is why I was very careful what I recommended you do :), I think that is the best solution for you :smashin:

Dave

Been reading a few threads on the BK. I'll wait another 2 weeks till my payday and get both the BK and the Sony amp :D

Thanks for the help :)

IronGiant

If you need someone to take that antique Yamaha off you let us know, on the forum that is.

Dave

IronGiant

Last one sold here went for £100 + £15 delivery (In August) , which is unfortunately, way beyond my non-existent current upgrade budget, or I'd have it off you in a second :)

Dave

Last one sold here went for £100 + £15 delivery (In August) , which is unfortunately, way beyond my non-existent current upgrade budget, or I'd have it off you in a second :)

Dave

To be honest, It is still a very good amp, just lacks the hdmi inputs.

Once you have the money, Let me know, I'm gonna have this for another 3-4 weeks anyways :)

IronGiant

Mine is still a very good amp, it just lacks those S-video inputs :D

Don't wait for me, I'd love to have it, but my budget really is zero at the moment :(

Dave

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom