BK XLS200 or Gemini II

hpoom

Established Member
Reaction score
I know this has been asked before and I have read most of the threads on here about this topic.

I am looking for a sub to complement my B&W speakers. Speakers and amp in my signature. My fronts are already quite good for bass so just looking for something to fill in the low bass I am missing.

I think the big decider will bye my room size. My room is 5meters X 2.3 meters (long and thin) and aprox 2.3 meters high. Would the Gemini be able to fill this room, would it be the best choice. Or should I just buy the better XLS200 DF?

Thanks for any help and advice. I want to avoid buying the Gemini but later wishing I had got the XLS200...

I have just bought the Gemini after deciding between it and the XLS200. I think the Gemini II has closed the gap somewhat from the old 8" Gemini. I would not imagine the XLS200 to have much more output but will possibly go deeper.

The extra £100 will get a better known quality speaker and I am sure the amplifier - aside from the extra 50W - would be a better quality too. Thing is, that extra £100 bought a hell of a lot more when you were comparing it to the old Gemini; not so much with the Gemini II in my opinion. This is not to say you are not getting a lot for your money with the XLS200 (in parts alone) but the Gemini II is such good value that I couldn't justify the extra. Personally, the XLS400 would be more appealing for another £100 on the XLS200. .

Thanks for the comments. I think what I am worried about is that the XLS200 might be too much for my room. If my room sizes will take it then I would just buy the XLS200, but if not then will get the Gemini II.

I don't want to buy the Gemini II though and then in 6 months have it in the classifieds because I upgraded to an XLS200.

Which one would go best with my B&W speaker and my room sizes?

Like I said, they are essentially the same size. They mainly differ by quality, not output (I think). If the Gemini is not too much, the XLS200 won't be.

Speaker matching is not an issue with subs as the frequencies they deal with don't really have a character. As long as the sub's response is reasonably flat you should be fine, whatever your mains.

There seems to be the overwhelming opinion here that you can't have too much sub. That is, if set up properly room boom shouldn't be a problem and it is always better to coast along with a bigger sub than nearly overdrive a smaller one. The main issue will probably be what size box you want to introduce to your living room.

Either would work well for you. If money is no object, go for the XLS200 (or XLS400, Monolith). Otherwise I feel the Gemini is excellent value. None will be too much for your room.

P.S. The build quality, although raved about already, shocked me when I first opened the box. I got the Cherry veneer and it is beautiful. Better finish than you get on many guitars; it reminds me of quilted maple slightly. Photos don't do it justice

Thanks a lot 'clear and blue' you have me thinking about finished now.
Will probably order a XLS200 DF. Was thinking Black Ash to match my speakers but might go for Oak to match the TV Stand and other furniture.

Thanks again.

Yeah don't go for the black ash man! BK offer a great choice of finishes and to be honest I really don't like the black ash one bit, reminds me of a teenagers bedroom from the early 90's (that may well be mine...). Of course each to their own but it seems a shame given the choices on offer. Personally when I finally order a XXLS400 I think I'll pay the extra for the gloss black although I saw a photo of one in a 'satin black' finish I thought looked good too.

As for the room / sub size issue I'm not sure there is one, if you're budget allows I've even be tempted to go for the XXLS400 if I were you. Or if I were me...which is why I am....

+1

Saving hard for a XXLS400 for the same size room.... exactly the same size as it goes.......... mine used to be the garage.

I am quite a fan of black ash and the oak but finish must be a personnal thing.... However the black gloss does look tempting

Drh

'DrH': My room is a converted garage, that is why they will be the same size :)

Not sure I can stretch to the XXLS400, so think I will just order the XLS200 DF in Light Oak.

You could always save a bit longer?

I am looking like Easter before i have enough so will need to be patient.

Well chuffed with the garage not being a garage anymore if you get my drift.

I am sure that you will be happy with the XLS200

DrH

BK XLS200 DF in Light Oak ordered yesterday.

Have received an email to say 10-14 days :-D

Hi Hpoom, now you have had your XLS200 for a while can you post any comments - are you happy with your purchase? Did you find that it helped with Music as well as movies?

Thanks

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom