BK XLS200 Issue

nheather

Distinguished Member
I have had my BK XLS200 for many years and it is worked flawlessly until recently.

What has started happening is that the sometimes (and getting more frequent) when switched on the Sub-Woofer will rumble quite loudly and continuously with no input. I know it is the sub and not the source because pulling the LFE phono input does not stop it.

What does stop it is switching it off and back on. But even this is getting less effective. I’d say it has been happening for the last 3 or 4 months. At first just a click off and on would sort it. Over time that degraded so that I might have to switch off/on twice. And more recently, it sometimes take 4 or 5 off/on cyles.

The setup has not changed and when I do reset subwoofer it then works fine until the next occurence which could be hours or days away.

Anyone seen anything like this, or know the cause/fix. If I were to guess I’d say capacitors getting old and degraded - only because they are the electronics components most likely to degrade over time.

Cheers,

Nigel

fatboy frank

Distinguished Member
I'd give Tom at BK a call or use the contact us form: Contact
Probably as you say, the electronics. You should be able to remove the amp plate and return it for repair, usually not too expensive.

fatboy frank

Distinguished Member
Do you have to call them? Not had any response to my eMail.

Cheers,

Nigel
I always find it easier to phone direct as you've no idea if your email was received.
Give them a call on Tel ; 01702 527572 and ask to speak to Tom.

mt84s

Hello,

reviving this old thread as I am now having the exact same issue with my BK XLS200.

Loud constant rumbling when powering on the subwoofer with or without audio source connected. At first some power cycles helped but now it is just constantly rumbling.

Did you ever find out what was causing this issue or get it fixed?

D1gita1

Hello,

reviving this old thread as I am now having the exact same issue with my BK XLS200.

Loud constant rumbling when powering on the subwoofer with or without audio source connected. At first some power cycles helped but now it is just constantly rumbling.

Did you ever find out what was causing this issue or get it fixed?
These issues are almost always a failing part on the amp. It can happen over time. BK will be best to help, but you're best calling them for the quickest response. Worst case is you'll need a new amp.

mt84s

These issues are almost always a failing part on the amp. It can happen over time. BK will be best to help, but you're best calling them for the quickest response. Worst case is you'll need a new amp.

Thanks,

I emailed BK and got a quick reply, it seems that most likely the faulty components are the power caps that are 10,000 uF 80V.

mt84s

Thanks,

I emailed BK and got a quick reply, it seems that most likely the faulty components are the power caps that are 10,000 uF 80V.
Resurrecting this old thread in case somebody has the same problem in the future and is looking for help. In my case the problem turned out to be the two 220uF 25V capacitors. Afrer replacing those, all cracks and hum are gone, including those that I had during powering off also.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Philips TV Launch Event, Soundbar vs AVR, Samsung EzCAL and more...
Top Bottom