1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

BK XLS200 Interconnect ???

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by Prometheus, Jan 15, 2005.

1. Prometheus

Prometheus
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Could XLS200 owners please let me know if they are using the interconnects that came with the sub from BK. Whilst I am sure that they are good, having been supplied from the manufacturer, would there be any significant gain in getting a different one perhaps from Mark etc. I have only just ordered my XLS200DF but I am fitting cables under the new floor I am just laying (after locating the sub as well as I can) so I want to get it right first time. Thanks a lot in advance for any advice.

(there is a QED reference silver cable 5m on ebay @ £60.00. Is this worth the money? will I be able to hear any improvement? Thanks)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    My opinions are my own as I have been kept in a sealed enviroment since birth !! :laugh:

2. theo cupier

theo cupier

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +113
    My XLS200 arrives next week, but I have some Mark Grant cables ready and waiting for it, both high and low level, so I'm hoping there was some point to it!

3. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    I changed the interconnect to a DIY one (came to about £10 for 5 metres with good quality cable and plugs). The only difference I noticed was that I had to turn the volume down a little on it. I'd recommend making your own up if you can find the hot end of a soldering iron, otherwise there aren't many better value cables than Mark Grant puts together.

When I swapped the mains lead I noticed the noise floor lowered marginally. Please notice that although there were differences with "better" cables, they didn't have any effect on the overall sound quality (ie. distortion, extension and so on). :)

4. Prometheus

Prometheus
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks for your help. I think that I'll try the cables that come with the sub and see how I feel then.

'EvilJohn2' - what type of cable and plugs would you reccommend as I was under the impression that a good quality set of RCA plugs would set you back more than £10 on their own let alone a good quality cable ???

5. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    I've just ordered a 3m IXOS sub cable for just over 20 quid. I have use anyway for the 5m stereo pair which were provided. If I was utilising a stereo link I'd probably have stuck with them, it just seems messy having a stereo set when I only need a single phone...PJ

6. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    Prometheus, cable isn't worth spending more than a pound or 2 per metre because you won't get any improvements for the extra money, as with connectors which aren't worth spending more than a couple of pounds for each.

There's loads of advice on this in the mylo's "Homebrew Leads" sticky at the top of the DIY forum but if you go to www.cpc.co.uk I'd probably go for something like this (having used these parts before in some of my own projects):

Cable
    Order code: CB01855
    This stuff is excellent and weighs in at around £12 for 10m. I've just used some of this stuff in my "EvilTube Speaker Cable" project (search the Cabling forum for info). You won't find better for this purpose IMO.

Connectors
    My sub lead has these connectors at each end:
    AV08387
    They lock down onto the connector when you actually plug them in and are very easy to work with.

I've also used these connectors elsewhere:
    CN05789
    and I'd probably go with these if I were making another cable as they're of very good quality, easy to work with and cheaper than my other suggestion. :)