BK XLS200 FF/DF and placement

Vertigo1

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Looking to replace my old Yamaha sub which does the job but isn't that good really.

Looking at the BK XLS200 which seems to fit the bill for a reasonable price and gets good reviews/comments here and elsewhere.

Wondering whether DF or FF is best though. Placement will be on carpet over floorboards. The DF seems to come with spiked feet to pierce carpet but the FF looks like it just sits flat on the floor.

Also are these things even available anywhere at present?

Hi all,

Looking to replace my old Yamaha sub which does the job but isn't that good really.

Looking at the BK XLS200 which seems to fit the bill for a reasonable price and gets good reviews/comments here and elsewhere.

Wondering whether DF or FF is best though. Placement will be on carpet over floorboards. The DF seems to come with spiked feet to pierce carpet but the FF looks like it just sits flat on the floor.

Also are these things even available anywhere at present?

No they aren´t available, missing drivers still i assume.

If you aren´t limited height wise you could consider Double Gem for about same price and it outperforms the XLS200. 28,3cm wide, 55,1cm tall, 46cm deep.

See this post and scroll down to see Double Gem in room so you get better idea of the size.

Which finish are you looking?

Hmm interesting option, thanks. I could accommodate it just about but certainly imposing.

Not sure on finish, either light oak to match the oak coffee table and pine TV unit or black ash to just hide it.

Hmm interesting option, thanks. I could accommodate it just about but certainly imposing.

Not sure on finish, either light oak to match the oak coffee table and pine TV unit or black ash to just hide it.

Another option if that is too tall then BK XXLS400 in light oak, DF.

Or if you looking the most grunt for movies then the P12-PR model which has passive radiator at bottom. 12" + 12".

These are basically new condition grade-b from BKE. They have another channel for these and the feedback from members has been great, no marks can´t be found on them. Good saving!

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
Quite like the Double Gem actually and think I can accommodate it without too many issues.

Is the quoted height of 55cm from the bottom of the feet, or the spikes or the cabinet?

I don`t know, post that question here and the owners will measure it for you!

For Double Gem there is these finishes available right away as new grade-b cheaper. However if you fancy the light oak veneer then by all means go for that. There is usually then some type of build in time. Do not email BK, if you want to ask how long it takes then call them straight!

Thanks, I'll do some more research and thinking.

My only concern is whether a sealed sub is going to cut it for a roughly 11ft x 22ft room or whether I should be looking at a ported one.

Thanks, I'll do some more research and thinking.

My only concern is whether a sealed sub is going to cut it for a roughly 11ft x 22ft room or whether I should be looking at a ported one.

Oh in that case the BK P12-PR in light oak which i linked is probably your best bet cause you don´t find as compact ported sub with such nice finish. The passive radiator acts like a port. From BKs woofers it´s the 2nd best after Monolith for movies.

AVF editor picked it as best under 500£ sub.

If it would be my money i would order BK Monolith either FF or DF depending if height or depth being issue for your ~22sqm room if you looking the most impact. Double Gem naturally won´t do things that this does. Quite unbeatable at 505£!

Monolith-FF_LOak_Grille.jpg
MonolithDF_LO_Front.jpg

DF: Dimensions: 420D X 604H x 540W

FF:
Dimensions: 560D X 540H x 420W

I think the Monolith is just too darn big but the P12-300SB-PR looks like what I need tbh.

I think the Monolith is just too darn big but the P12-300SB-PR looks like what I need tbh.
I had this sub - It's certainly a cracking sub for the price and you'll be very pleased with it for sure!

Ok well, of the BK options, the P12-300SB-PR would definitely be the one for me.

Only thing I'm now wondering is how the SVS PB1000 Pro would compare given that it's not actually that much more than the BK?

Ok well, of the BK options, the P12-300SB-PR would definitely be the one for me.

Only thing I'm now wondering is how the SVS PB1000 Pro would compare given that it's not actually that much more than the BK?

It was 575£ few weeks ago with discount. :( You just missed that boat cause SVS raised prices worldwide. And yes i would consider it better (higher output in working range, better extension, app control with peq, longer warranty etc).

What you mean it´s not that much more? 850£ vs. 430£.

Well I can see at least one place selling the SVS for £639 and the black ash version of the BK is £504.

Well I can see at least one place selling the SVS for £639 and the black ash version of the BK is £504.

In that case i would say go for it, especially if you like the finish. SVS has lot newer design with 5year warranty.

Yeah I decided I would want a black one rather than oak which means I'd be paying full price for the BK.

As you say, most places are listing the SVS at £850 now but I've ordered it at £639 so we'll see if that works!

Yeah I decided I would want a black one rather than oak which means I'd be paying full price for the BK.

As you say, most places are listing the SVS at £850 now but I've ordered it at £639 so we'll see if that works!
Great! 👏You won`t be disappointed, huge jump from Yamaha "subwoofer". The end result depends of you placing it optimally in your room or if necessary moving MLP and applying some form of eq to deal with room modes (flatten peaks). SVS like most subwoofer manufacturers recommend to place sub in front corner (furthest from any opening) especially if you have eq in hand, if not and if it sounds bit boomy then moving it slightly closer to front mains (1/4 wall width) would be worth to try.

Which av-receiver you have and speakers?

Yeah I'll need to experiment a bit with placement and stuff.

Using a Denon AVR-X2200W with Wharfedale Diamonds (12.2 fronts, 12.0 rears). Fronts are bi-amped.

SVS on its way apparently! £620 in the end with shipping.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom