1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

BK XLS200 - few general questions

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by moby78, Oct 8, 2004.

1. moby78

moby78
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey guys

Well the sub arrived less than 24 hours after placing the order and it looks great :clap: I set all five channels to "small" on the amp and switched the subwoofer option on :smashin: I then connected the sub to the amp via the low-level cable and switched it on.

Oh my god was there a difference :thumbsup: I watched Return of the Jedi on DVD and a little bit of Minority Report - I was blown away. I do, however, have a few general questions:

1. The sub is connected through the low-level inputs. I also had a high-level input connector... I was wondering in what situation would you decide to use this?

2. I was playing around the the frequency (and LFE click mode) and the gain channels... are these usually set up to personal preference?

3. Phase - I have left it at 0 degrees and couldnt really detect much of a difference when I increased it to 180deg (presumably out of phase)... I didn't really play around with it for long... under what circumstances would you set it to anything other than 0 deg?

Thanks for you help guys
    Moby.

2. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    On some amps there is a direct mode for CD's that sometimes excludes the subwoofer so it would have to be connected at speaker level in addition to LFE if you wanted to operate it this way.

Others have a stereo amp connected to an AV processor (or AV amp used as a processor) and like a high level connection for music when the proccessor is switched off.

The phase control tends to be more useful when either placing the sub outside the plane of the front three speakers or if you are trying to integrate two or more subs.

3. Anrasp

Anrasp
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well my BK XLS200 also arrived today ....

.... after 2 weeks

.... after travelling 2100 Kms ( from UK to Malta )

I'm probably the only guy having this beast on the island.

To connect to my Pioneer VSXD712 which cable should I use ?

- the lead with a pair of phonos ? only a single pre-out in the amp ? :confused:

- or the Low level cable supplied ? but where do the 3 wires go on the amp side ? :confused:

..sorry for the dumb questions but this is my 1st sub

4. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    You could use the lead with a pair of phono's but just use on cable of it. Then (when you have the money) Just order yourself a dedicated sub cable from Mark Grant in the power buys forum or one from your favorite cable maker eg. Ixos, profigold, etc.

5. Anrasp

Anrasp
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    @Dfour ...thanks mate ...got it sorted all out !