BK XLS200 DF MkII - mini review

Diagnosticz

What is wrong with the S2? If you are talking about this model; REL S2 Subwoofer | REL | Audio T

That model should perform better vs. XLS200 and for that price i assume the build quality is better too. Larger cabinet with dual 10" drivers and design is similar to older XLS300PR which was a step up from XLS200, especially with movies.

Do you have space problems as you are looking so tiny subwoofer(s)? You have wanted add for Arendal S1 and such an awesome system other wise, i am little puzzled why would you settle for cheap small subs or are you looking these for other room?

XLS200 performs best in very small room. If in doubt always go larger one and add second one in future. ;)

Have you thought about dual BK P12-300SB? Price jump from XLS200 is small and the larger cabinet & driver will put a smile on your face with movies. You might get lucky with grade b* model and save some bucks, worth to ask from BK. Performance should be very close to XXLS400.

* BK Electronics P12-300SB-FF Satin White with White Grille | eBay
There is nothing wrong with the S2 infact the idea was to add a second but it's more than I want to spend.

My choice also comes down to aesthetics along with obviously performance. I have Just purchased smaller fronts which I have spread further apart I have the S2 next to the left front but the right side looks empty now so wanted to fill the gap with a second sub but wanted small to compliment the newer smaller fronts for that sleak look.

I looked at the options you have mentioned already both the XXL400 and P12-300 are over budget.

I have been in contact with BK and was told that dual XL200 Will perform equally to single XXL400 With added advantages.

They have dual b graded XL200 available so was considering them.

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
There is nothing wrong with the S2 infact the idea was to add a second but it's more than I want to spend.

My choice also comes down to aesthetics along with obviously performance. I have Just purchased smaller fronts which I have spread further apart I have the S2 next to the left front but the right side looks empty now so wanted to fill the gap with a second sub but wanted small to compliment the newer smaller fronts for that sleak look.

I looked at the options you have mentioned already both the XXL400 and P12-300 are over budget.

I have been in contact with BK and was told that dual XL200 Will perform equally to single XXL400 With added advantages.

They have dual b graded XL200 available so was considering them.

How large is your room in meters? Does it open to another space without doors?

What is your maximum budget?

Placement wise you might have to try couple places where it would sound best. Both in front corners, front corner and opposite rear corner.. Putting subs where it looks best might not be the wisest thing.

Dual XLS200 won`t help them dig deeper, you get added output in their working area and of course more even bass in room. XLS200 is still quite limited with movies as it`s more suited for music. I owned Gemini2 which has same size cabinet & driver, slightly less power. I had it in 3 houses, it can work in smaller rooms but in larger rooms it kinda disappears even when corner loaded. I know the XLS200 is slightly better, but not that much. Of course there are people who are very happy with the performance of those (they have not heard the larger ones either), but it`s only so little more ££ for the larger one and add second later = in the end you will be happier. Notice that FF and DF cabinets has different dimensions (P12-300SB/XXLS400).

If the budget opens up to 500£ there is other choices too.

Diagnosticz

How large is your room in meters? Does it open to another space without doors?

What is your maximum budget?

Placement wise you might have to try couple places where it would sound best. Both in front corners, front corner and opposite rear corner.. Putting subs where it looks best might not be the wisest thing.

Dual XLS200 won`t help them dig deeper, you get added output in their working area and of course more even bass in room. XLS200 is still quite limited with movies as it`s more suited for music. I owned Gemini2 which has same size cabinet & driver, slightly less power. I had it in 3 houses, it can work in smaller rooms but in larger rooms it kinda disappears even when corner loaded. I know the XLS200 is slightly better, but not that much. Of course there are people who are very happy with the performance of those (they have not heard the larger ones either), but it`s only so little more ££ for the larger one and add second later = in the end you will be happier. Notice that FF and DF cabinets has different dimensions (P12-300SB/XXLS400).

If the budget opens up to 500£ there is other choices too.
My room is only 5X4. Regarding positioning I can only place subs either side of the front pair so have no choice but to see them.

I have been looking for alternatives the SVS SB1000 but again over budget. Or even the Rel T series but I like the BK. My budget is 600-700 for a pair not much but can happen with the BK.

That's a good price for the P12-300 but has to be Gloss Black. I could go for a pair of them if they where that price. I thought I measure up and realize I only have max 38cm width one side

Last edited:

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
My room is only 5X4. Regarding positioning I can only place subs either side of the front pair so have no choice but to see them.

I have been looking for alternatives the SVS SB1000 but again over budget. Or even the Rel T series but I like the BK. My budget is 600-700 for a pair not much but can happen with the BK.

That's a good price for the P12-300 but has to be Gloss Black. I could go for a pair of them if they where that price. I thought I measure up and realize I only have max 38cm width one side

Well there is lot of people that has larger subs than BK Monolith in similar size room. It ain`t the smallest either, i would still get something larger than XLS200. If you like some real slam with action/blockbuster movies, i wouldn`t hesitate getting the larger one(s). We are not talking about double the size jump either.

P12-300SB/XXLS400 and save just a little bit for second one. Grade b for those is usually 316-390£ + delivery. That means you might get the second one after santa has visited you christmas. I assume you also have the S2 still at home which you could sell for extra money?

Why not call and ask if there is grade b of your liking colour P12-300SB there? I mean it`s not the end of the world if you have to save another month or two to get second one.

colosussxb | eBay

Diagnosticz

Well there is lot of people that has larger subs than BK Monolith in similar size room. It ain`t the smallest either, i would still get something larger than XLS200. If you like some real slam with action/blockbuster movies, i wouldn`t hesitate getting the larger one(s). We are not talking about double the size jump either.

P12-300SB/XXLS400 and save just a little bit for second one. Grade b for those is usually 316-390£ + delivery. That means you might get the second one after santa has visited you christmas. I assume you also have the S2 still at home which you could sell for extra money?

Why not call and ask if there is grade b of your liking colour P12-300SB there? I mean it`s not the end of the world if you have to save another month or two to get second one.

colosussxb | eBay

I have messaged BK and Colosussxb asking if they have a pair of the p12-300 hopefully i get an answer tomorrow if i can get both for around 750 then i probably go for them. Shame the SVS are little more expensive thanks

b1g1an

Don't get hung up on having to have gloss black, the fact you are looking at getting two means you can happily go for the satin black for a huge saving and they'll still match as a set, in fact the contrast would probably work better. The satin black on these is most definitely not a cheap looking finish it just happens to be sold cheaper and they'll both sound exactly the same for £150 less!

Diagnosticz

Don't get hung up on having to have gloss black, the fact you are looking at getting two means you can happily go for the satin black for a huge saving and they'll still match as a set, in fact the contrast would probably work better. The satin black on these is most definitely not a cheap looking finish it just happens to be sold cheaper and they'll both sound exactly the same for £150 less!
I don't mind the satin finish they probably have a subtle sheen which might work. Obviously I would prefer the gloss the price difference is about 100 on each one so will help me decide

rusmeloman

Novice Member
Is this forum still working?

Or without Russell, no one popularizes BK?

PS: I’m actually leaning towards 2 x REL Quake mk2.

I need your help.

Ultrasonic

Is this forum still working?

Or without Russell, no one popularizes BK?

PS: I’m actually leaning towards 2 x REL Quake mk2.

I need your help.

You would be best to start a new thread with your specific question, rather than here.

I'm a bit confused by your question as you mention a £2000 budget but then say you are considering old and cheap subwoofers.

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Which is the best decade for horror movies?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom