BK XLS 200 owners thread.

Having recently taken delivery of a XLS200 FF I can appreciate forum members enthusiasm for this product. I use it in my 2 speaker system that, until recently, used a REL150Mk2 and have noticed improved performance in a number of areas.
Out of the box sound is very tight so I used a loudspeaker shakedown track repeated over a number of hours. On returning I played some wide band music and experimented with the high level input and filter controls. My low power amp and sensitive speakers mean I have to set gain to approximately 50% and the filter at about 50/60hz. Played a Frequency sweep test track to fine tune things.
Now I could do some serious listening! I wasn't disappointed. On orchestral music cellos and double basses were more clearly differentiated. Piano had greater body and faster attack on the lower notes.The sound stage appeared both wider and deeper. Rock really rocked, with tremendous punch and excitement.
From my own experiences I would say anybody wanting a small sub for a small/medium size room, who plays mainly music, is unlikely to be wanting more from a sub than the XLS200 can deliver.

Took delivery of my 2nd 200 today. Ordered on Thursday or Friday last week. As usual, brilliant service from BK and a beautifully built subwoofer. I'm running it in and using it with a set of B&W M1's crossed over at 100hz. Seems very happy at the moment.

Does anyone use both high and low level connection together?

Phil

Looking for opinions please.
Currently have got a pair of Kef R500s for left and right with a Kef R200 for a centre.
Monitor Audio 45s are the surrounds.
Currently using a Kef psw2010 without problem but justwondering how much of an improvement the xls200 would be in my set up.
Room is roughly 5M x 4M.

Thanks

Looking for opinions please.
Currently have got a pair of Kef R500s for left and right with a Kef R200 for a centre.
Monitor Audio 45s are the surrounds.
Currently using a Kef psw2010 without problem but justwondering how much of an improvement the xls200 would be in my set up.
Room is roughly 5M x 4M.

Thanks

It would be an improvement but with a room that big you need something far bigger, I would be looking at a monolith or bigger

Just bought and picked up one of these little beauties (plus antimode) from a seller on here earlier this evening, and really liking it so far.

We live in a flat and have downstairs neighbours, but for those times when they're not in and I can crank it up a bit, would one of these help underneath the sub as it doesn't sound like it's going as deep and low as I was expecting it to? (We have a carpeted floor and I tested it out on the decepticon doing that rocket jump towards the end of the first Transformers movie in slo-mo)

Premier Housewares Speckled Granite Chopping Board - 40 x 30 cm - Black: Amazon.co.uk: Kitchen & Home

Many thanks!

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Have two under mine

Hi there guys.

Am afraid I shall invade this lovely thread since my gloss white xls200dfmkII gave out a spark from the back panel yesterday! (not sure whether this is the right thread, but am lost)

I had sent an email to Tom for some advise on how to go about checking it. As some of you know, I live in Malta and I've had the sub since May 2013 (so no warranty there am afraid). And am not willing to ship it to Tom am afraid, it would be too costly I believe.

Well basically I can't comprehend what happened really when it sparked. I was about to turn the power on and there it happened. I saw a light spark and immediately turned it off again. The power chord was powered from the wall socket, as I usually left it for the past 3 years with no trouble at all. Used to turn off the power button when not in use of course, but left the power on from the wall socket.

I haven't tried mending with it at all since yesterday. I simply tried turning the power on again, and strangely enough, the power light comes on as normal. But no sound whatsoever.

Would this be a simple fuse problem you think? Is it ok if I try and open and replace same myself?

Thank you very much for your input on this, it would mean the world to me right now.

I can't wait until I hear that smooth low end once again.

Cheers all from tiny Malta.

wenzu

Theres a fuse in the IEC connector. You should be able to pull the little drawer out and inspect it.

Nice one

Hope all is well with you guys.

Autumn brings new things in the subwoofery category, as I have just ordered my 2nd unit to go DUAL finally!

It's been over a year since I was considering the idea, but for some reasons kept from taking the leap and actually go for it. Well... until yesterday that is :clap:
Will definitely position on the front stage by the right of the TV and try to even out the sound. To be honest I feel overwhelmed by all the possible outcomes, but I trust this will be greatly beneficial as I had quite a few nulls in my room.

Also wanted to ask if I should hook both low and hi-level inputs on my second sub. I shall connect to the receiver via y-splitters into the RCA. What about the Hi-level? Would it be just fine to connect to the same terminals as the original?

ETA is 7 days now. :thumbsup:
Since I live overseas I give it another 4 to 5 days on top of that and let the running in begin!! Extremely happy with BK.
Wonderful little sub.

Will keep you updated.

Happy weekend to all from tiny Malta :hiya:

Well guys,

Hope all is well with you. Here in Malta we just had the very first glimpse of Autumn with a few drops of rain these past couple days. Nothing major, but it's finally looking like the heat is gone. :clap:

Here's a quick update on my second unit ordered a few days ago. Well, initially I was going to make a normal order using the online method from their website, but since I was in constant contact with the great Tom from BK, he suggested to make payment via Paypal ... :smashin:

Little did I know that my paypal account delivery address was locked to my 'proper' home address! Since I live in Malta I was going to make different arrangements for shipping.

Anyway, Tom got back to me earlier today pointing this out, offering a refund so I make payment via their Bank IBAN. Tom is truly one great guy. I totally appreciate his time in helping out.
Now have to wait a little longer and make other arrangements to settle payment. :mad:
What lengths one needs to go in order to appreciate BK products ;)

Will surely keep you posted with further developments as they come in.

Cheers from Malta.

In situ.

Tweaking away ... Breaking in ... Patiently getting things to sound better [emoji2]

Will update in the next few days. Looking forward to a weekend in sound heaven!

1476387745356.jpg

In situ.

Tweaking away ... Breaking in ... Patiently getting things to sound better [emoji2]

Will update in the next few days. Looking forward to a weekend in sound heaven!

View attachment 772303
Hi wenzu,

I know your post is quite old by now, but how are you finding the dual XLS 200 setup?

I am also keen going on going with duals, does anyone else have any feedback on dual XLS 200's?

My room is 5x4m, and thinking of either 2x XLS200's or a single XXLS400....

Hi wenzu,

I know your post is quite old by now, but how are you finding the dual XLS 200 setup?

I am also keen going on going with duals, does anyone else have any feedback on dual XLS 200's?

My room is 5x4m, and thinking of either 2x XLS200's or a single XXLS400....
Hi there cobaltqube,

Thank you for dropping by.
Just yesterday I was tweaking a little bit more on my second unit, which by now is loose and working flawlessly in tandem with it's brother.
I see that your room is fairly similar to mine in dimensions. However it's all about acoustics with regards to sound distribution and LFE.
I love how my duals distribute evenly.

If you want to go dual 200 by all means, you'll be amazingly happy.

BUT if you can go dual on the 400 well that's another ball game altogether!!

Let us know what's your decision [emoji106]

Hi there cobaltqube,

Thank you for dropping by.
Just yesterday I was tweaking a little bit more on my second unit, which by now is loose and working flawlessly in tandem with it's brother.
I see that your room is fairly similar to mine in dimensions. However it's all about acoustics with regards to sound distribution and LFE.
I love how my duals distribute evenly.

If you want to go dual 200 by all means, you'll be amazingly happy.

BUT if you can go dual on the 400 well that's another ball game altogether!!

Let us know what's your decision [emoji106]

Thanks for your reply, wenzu.

Funny thing is, I had an XLS200, but wanted something that could go deeper, and with more authority(so I got an SVS PB1000), and while it's great, and very powerful indeed, I'm just missing the sound of a sealed design.. and a smaller footprint. Besides, I can never really stretch its legs without complaints..

So hence why either going back to an XLS200(but dual) or a single XLS400. I won't go dual 400, not in this room/house anyway.

I have an anti mode too, it does a great job. Are yours running off an anti mode?

Thanks again

Thanks for your reply, wenzu.

Funny thing is, I had an XLS200, but wanted something that could go deeper, and with more authority(so I got an SVS PB1000), and while it's great, and very powerful indeed, I'm just missing the sound of a sealed design.. and a smaller footprint. Besides, I can never really stretch its legs without complaints..

So hence why either going back to an XLS200(but dual) or a single XLS400. I won't go dual 400, not in this room/house anyway.

I have an anti mode too, it does a great job. Are yours running off an anti mode?

Thanks again
Hi again.

Am not running anti-mode for the time being. Am very intrigued by the proposition though. Would you care sharing his it improves overall control and tightness of the sound please?
I might get one as well.
Which model are you running? Wouldn't you need two to run duals though?

Cheers.

Hi again.

Am not running anti-mode for the time being. Am very intrigued by the proposition though. Would you care sharing his it improves overall control and tightness of the sound please?
I might get one as well.
Which model are you running? Wouldn't you need two to run duals though?

Cheers.

Yes, in my case, it definitely helped with taming room modes/standing waves. I.e without it I had a lot of 'boominess'. I have the 8033S, and yes you can connect two subs with a y-splitter. Anyway, let's not derail this thread with room eq :)

Thanks for your thoughts!

Ordered my 200df just awaiting the phone call from Tom so I can go and pick it up. Also coming from an onkyo all in one system so am expecting a huge improvement. I did try a minx x201 but was underwhelmed and so thanks to you guys here im trying the bk.
Hi I realise this post is very old but I have a Minx x201 and like you are underwhelmed with it though Richer Sounds advised me to get it. I'm thinking of selling and picking up a xxl200 so was wondering is there a big difference and would you advise changing?
Thanks

Hi I realise this post is very old but I have a Minx x201 and like you are underwhelmed with it though Richer Sounds advised me to get it. I'm thinking of selling and picking up a xxl200 so was wondering is there a big difference and would you advise changing?
Thanks
Hey, I haven't listened to the Minx but looking at pics and specs it appears to be a small, lightweight sub (5Kg) with a 6.5-inch driver (+ passive radiators).
In comparison, the XLS200 weights 18Kg, has a high-excursion 10-inch driver. The XLS200 is seriously good for its size, and I'm pretty sure it's performance will be significantly better than the Minx. I have listened to other subs at similar price and size, but the XLS200 remains my favourite.
Also the Minx is rated at 36Hz -6db, while the BK is at 17Hz -6db (although in my experience a 24Hz -6db is more realistic). Even if the BK isn't a very efficient unit (due to the very small cabinet), it is capable of enough power to fill small and medium-small rooms.
I hope all of this helps. If you want to know more, please feel free to ask (I have an XLS200 FF Mk2).

Hey, I haven't listened to the Minx but looking at pics and specs it appears to be a small, lightweight sub (5Kg) with a 6.5-inch driver (+ passive radiators).
In comparison, the XLS200 weights 18Kg, has a high-excursion 10-inch driver. The XLS200 is seriously good for its size, and I'm pretty sure it's performance will be significantly better than the Minx. I have listened to other subs at similar price and size, but the XLS200 remains my favourite.
Also the Minx is rated at 36Hz -6db, while the BK is at 17Hz -6db (although in my experience a 24Hz -6db is more realistic). Even if the BK isn't a very efficient unit (due to the very small cabinet), it is capable of enough power to fill small and medium-small rooms.
I hope all of this helps. If you want to know more, please feel free to ask (I have an XLS200 FF Mk2).
Hi thanks for the reply. Yeah the Minx performs OK but just seems like it's missing something. Gonna try and sell it on if I can.
Is there any bad points you'd say about your sub?

Hi thanks for the reply. Yeah the Minx performs OK but just seems like it's missing something. Gonna try and sell it on if I can.
Is there any bad points you'd say about your sub?
Bad things? Let's see:
- performance: output sub-28Hz is weak, so for movies you can't expect to get shaken by sub-bass frequencies. At the same time, I can't see how you can really achieve better performance in such a small cabinet size.
- functionalities: no auto on/off, there's just a power button. Plus many BK users had long-term problems with the built-in power switch, so I always switch it on/off using an external switch (the one on the wall socket)

Bad things? Let's see:
- performance: output sub-28Hz is weak, so for movies you can't expect to get shaken by sub-bass frequencies. At the same time, I can't see how you can really achieve better performance in such a small cabinet size.
- functionalities: no auto on/off, there's just a power button. Plus many BK users had long-term problems with the built-in power switch, so I always switch it on/off using an external switch (the one on the wall socket)

Just so you know you can get them to fit a auto on/off switch if you want one.

I've got one fitted on my xls400 and works great.

I'm thinking of getting a xls200 to add to my tv surround setup as my current sub ain't great. I love my xls400 (which is used in my music setup) so thinking a xls200 will work lovely too.

;)

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom