BK XLS 200 owners thread.

gingerone

Hi all, seems crazy that after all this time we don't have an owner's thread dedicated to the xls 200.
Mods can we start pulling the stuff into one place or is that bit of nightmare?

Anyway having owned one of these little beasts before and being mightily impressed I'm shortly going to be owning one again.:)

We have some great reviews on these forums and I will try to hunt down some of the links and add them here for easy reference.

Any owners want to add their two pennies worth?

For my opinion this is easily the best value sub out there and was my first foray into what a sub can actually bring to the table, I'd owned a rel quake prior to the bk and the difference was just staggering.

If you have a smaller set up or satellite speakers I really can't see an option that is as good for the price :)

Available to buy direct from BK;

Sub Woofers - Sub Bass - Subwoofer

Some reviews-

A mini review of my BK XLS200...as promised..including some pics | AVForums

This is a great comparison between the rel quake, bk Gemini and xls 200-

Bk Gemini vs REL Quake vs BK XLS200 | AVForums

A great review from Dodgy_Geezer, well worth a read;

Confessions of a BK XLS200 (vs. Gemini) | AVForums

Another group test with some budget subs;

Budget Sub Test Results! XLS200, MS309, MS909, PSW2500, PDR10 | AVForums

Techradar review;

BK XLS200MKII review | Hi-fi and av speakers Reviews | TechRadar

Frequency response tests;

Bk XLS200-DF - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

Bk XLS200-DF MK2 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

Last edited:

IronGiant

Hi all, seems crazy that after all this time we don't have an owner's thread dedicated to the xls 200.
Mods can we start pulling the stuff into one place or is that bit of nightmare?
Yes, it would be I'm afraid, but kudos to you for starting the thread and putting some links in already... :thumbsup: We can do any tidying up required as it develops :)

Bolander

Novice Member
This is an excellent idea - thanks for setting it up. As a very happy XLSL200 owner I have been conscious that it hasn't had the same exposure as the other models in the BK range. I chose it initially because it just fitted into the limited space available, but haven't been disappointed with the perfomance combined with the Antimode 8033. For the cost I don't think it can be beaten.

gingerone

Yes, it would be I'm afraid, but kudos to you for starting the thread and putting some links in already... :thumbsup: We can do any tidying up required as it develops :)
I figured it might be, not to worry I will start searching for more interesting reviews and threads and add them in to the first post.

gingerone

This is an excellent idea - thanks for setting it up. As a very happy XLSL200 owner I have been conscious that it hasn't had the same exposure as the other models in the BK range. I chose it initially because it just fitted into the limited space available, but haven't been disappointed with the perfomance combined with the Antimode 8033. For the cost I don't think it can be beaten.
It's long overdue I think and it's from pouring through loads of individual threads recently that made me do it.
Hopefully we can keep all xls200 related discussions on here going forward:clap:

gingerone

That's enough to start off with I think, I'm sure Russell did a review before but I can't find it.

Damian1978

Add me in to.

Gemini II was fab XLS200 DF even better :)

gingerone

I was really undecided about the Gemini and the xls200 but having had the xls200 and then trying several cheap subs recently and realising what I was missing I figured it was best to go back to the xls200.
I can't wait to get my hands on one again :)

gingerone

It's interesting reading on the test results from hometheater shack site how much the sub is affected by the crossover, the lower the crossover the lower the sub will go, with it going down to 20hz with a 80hz crossover, that's quite incredible for a small sub

pjcamera

Novice Member
I've got an XLS200 MkII working alongside a pair of Amphion Ions and it just adds that extra lower octave.
One problem though is a mains hum. It's electro-mechanical that I put down to the transformer. Has anyone else had a similar issue and, if so, did they resolve it?

pws

Sounds like DC on the mains mate.
The mains in the UK is horrible and dirty as well as saggy and over / under voltage.
Take the sub to another house and see if it still does it. A mates house so its on a different sub station. I bet its louder and quieter at different times as well in your house......

A whole new thread not really a sub issue i think

Damian1978

Mine seems more sensitive to mains noise than my Gemini II was. I use a DC filter and its fine.

jeallen01

FWIW, and having bought a new XLS200 DF late last year after reading about it on this forum, may I suggest that for anyone who has not already done it and has a suspended wooden floor like mine, to experiment by mounting it on a granite chopping board (like one of these Granite Chopping Boards / Black Star Galaxy Tiles / Slabs / Worktops | eBay) or slab which in turn is suspended on sorbothane hemispheres (like these: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4-x-SORBOTHANE-40mm-ANTI-VIBRATION-HEMISPHERES-FEET-Turntables-Speakers-etc-/290939967816?ssPageName=ADME:L:OC:GB:3160.)

Made quite a big difference by substantially cutting down any "booming" at the low end and resulted in a much firmer and more pleasant sound - not at all a "scientific" test and the o/a set up is not calibrated because I have never got around to it, but quite a big return for less than £25 all-in!

PS: rest of system = NR-609 with Tannoy DC6Ts and a DC4LCR at the front, and DC4s at the rear. IIRC, the sub-crossover is set to around 80Hz, and you can certainly hear the improved LF when the sub is switched on (can't try "shaking" anything because of the wife and the neighbours!).

John

gingerone

I used to have mine on laminate flooring and any low bass would cause the laminate to rattle up and down, sounded like the sub was knackered :eek:

I used a patio slab covered in fabric but I could get away with it due to it being a dedicated room.
Will be using the granite slab and some black neoprene that I have now.

gingerone

Got my xls200 now, man I forgot how small they are, it's hard to believe the performance you get considering how small they are.

pjcamera

Novice Member
FWIW, and having bought a new XLS200 DF late last year after reading about it on this forum, may I suggest that for anyone who has not already done it and has a suspended wooden floor like mine, to experiment by mounting it on a granite chopping board
ASDA sell a granite chopping board that sits under my sub and each speaker stand. Works well

gingerone

Looks like my sub has an issue, after about 30 minutes to an hour the sub develops a very loud buzzing noise that only goes if you power it off and back on again, the buzzing then slowly builds back up. Any ideas?

Teeps18

Standard Member
Placed an order for the FF model on Monday, so I'm sure I'll be in here with questions soon.

It will be paired with a Yamaha 675 AV receiver, 3x LS50 and 2x E301 KEF speakers.

Teeps18

Standard Member
I've had the sub for just over a week now and used it with both films and music and it's performing really nicely.

Just the right size and power for my needs, too.

I've found over time the volume needed to be reduced as it was really dominant during scenes with heavy bass moments.

mtenga

Distinguished Member
I've had an xls200 and a monolith plus from BK in the past. The monolith could go lower but was impractically large. The xls200 did a great job for its size and I preferred it overall to the mono, all things considered.

SyStemDeMoN

Ive ordered one of the too !
Can't wait for it to turn up. I've ordered a DF as I have concrete floor and laminate on top. I already have the granite chopping board too.

I'm pairing it with an Onkyo 577. Anyone got any recommendations on the settings for the sub it's self ?

X

xjkfx

Considering one of these, however aside from visually, what is the difference between the two models? Is one preferred in certain situations?

SyStemDeMoN

When I spoke to Tom at Bk he advised me to have a downward firing because I have a concrete floor. If you have floor boards then I would go for forward firing !

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: The Best TVs and Projectors of 2020, plus AV, TV Show & Movie News & Reviews

Latest News

What's new on Netflix UK for December 2020
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Warner Bros 2021 movies coming to HBO Max and cinemas simultaneously
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
What's new on Disney+ UK for December 2020
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
4K Streaming impacts carbon emissions says Royal Society
  • By Andy Bassett