1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

BK XLS 200 has arrived

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by bertha, Sep 7, 2003.

1. bertha

bertha

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +89
    Hello all (& Mufu if you read this) - I have the mysterious BK XLS 200 arriving tomorrow on an impulse I decided to give this a try & was wondering if there is any top tips for connecting/setting up, I've read in past threads that a high level cable is supplied..I admit it I've no idea what this is, my current sub (pdr10) is connected to my Sony 930 by a coaxial, do I just swap one for the other or can I use the high level cable? And would I have to do anything to the amp settings? Want to avoid blowing up my new sub if I can help it..any hints welcome?

cheers

Berth:smoke:

2. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Connect it up exactly as you did with your old sub. The high level cable connects across the speaker ternminals of the amp but not many people use that connection if the main requirement is for AV use.

3. bertha

bertha

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +89
    cheers Ian - will post soon with my thoughts on my new purchase...awrabest

bertha:smoke:

4. bertha

bertha

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +89
    Well sub has appeared at last - BK E seem to be a little busy just now - could be something to do withis forum:)
    First impressions: Very well packaged & noticably heavier than my pdr10.

Very well finished definitely takes a point off rel on this one.

Connected by the low level input with a reasonable quality cable, on the amp the sub levels were left at 0 LFE mix.(Amp is set at 8 ohms). Round the back of the sub are the high level gain (don't think I need to touch this as I'm not connecting this way); the low level gain which I gradually increased to just over half way; the frequency knob which I have left at 40Hz (don't know if this is right?); Phase knob can go between 0º & 180º (haven't touched this yet either).

Listening to White Stripes - very tuneful and not 'tiring' like the pdr could be at times..
    Listening to Gladiator - again a smoother bass not 'raspy' like the pdr ..(this wasn't at particularly high volumes)..it's not a pit of the stomach base, if anything it feels less than the paradigm but I am being on the cautious side - how long do you run subs in for?

So first impressions are overall - very nice, base isn't scary (yet) but any advice on set up would be very gratefully received..cheers all

5. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    If you are using a normal AV amp this is probably too low. You either have a fixed or variable crossover in the amp and if the amp is set at 80Hz with all speakers set to small it will send all signals less than 80Hz to the sub.

If you have the sub's crossover set at 40Hz anything above that figure will just disappear so set the sub's crossover as high as it will go so that the amp is responsible for all the crossover duties.

6. MuFu

MuFu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Leave the phase dial on 0º for now. 12 o'clock is a good starting point for the low-level gain. As for the crossover setting - 40 Hz is too low. If your amp is redirecting everything below 80Hz to the subwoofer (just an example), the crossover in the sub will only allow the reproduction of frequencies below about 40Hz so there will be a "gap" in the range.

For starters, I would turn the crossover all the way round until it *clicks* into the "LFE" position (make sure the unit is off when you do this) and let the receiver handle bass management. Once you have run the sub for a while you might want to experiment with the crossover dial in different positions. There's a circuit in the sub that shapes the frequency response below the crossover point and can help acheive better results, both in terms of integration and bass output. If your receiver is set to bass manage @80Hz, then a good starting point would be 12 o'clock on the crossover dial (which corresponds to that frequency).

Edit - Argh, Ian beat me too it. :)

MuFu.

7. bertha

bertha

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +89
    well followed the instructions thanks it definitely has plenty welly now but it also sounds like a quality bass..very impressed...but.......there's always a but.........it now as a fairly audible hum which increases and reduces when I turn up the low level gain control - it is sited next to the amp and there are power cables nearby but this didn't affect teh paradigm?? I'm going to try swapping cables and moving things around tonight but do you think it may have a fault? hope not.

Switching the amp off stops the hum, which maks me think it's not from any power cables..any thoughts as always very welcome...thanks for the help

8. bertha

bertha

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +89
    I'm not seriously going to have to do this am I??

quote" Dear Sir,

System hum is not necessarily caused by defective products but usually an earth or ground loop.
    Ensure that both subwoofer and amplifier are using the same wall socket.
    A surge protected, RFI filtered gang strip can be useful for powering the whole system.

A simple mains hum remedy is grounding/earthing the subwoofer back panel to the amplifier.

Most amplifiers have a GND (ground or earth) terminal on the back panel for this purpose.
    This Ground terminal can be connected to a small diameter electrical cable (bell wire) between this terminal and the subwoofer back panel.

Carefully remove one of the outer screws on the Subwoofer amplifier panel, remove a small amount of paint (under screw head) in order to make a reliable electrical connection.

A small ring crimp can be used to terminate the cable on the subwoofer panel.

Once the Amp and subwoofer are connected, all hum should be eliminated (as they now have the same potential).
    It is also worth noting that the hum may be caused by other devices such as DVD player (if a coax cable is used), or more commonly, a TV aerial or cable TV decoder.
    (A ground loop isolator can be used on the incoming cable TV line if this is the cause of hum).

Please contact me on (01622) 672261 if you would like to discuss this solution.

Best Regards

Ben Pettit

KEF AUDIO (UK)"unquote

Anyone have any suggestions - is it me? is it the sub? ?

9. MuFu

MuFu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    It does sound like a ground loop problem, yeah. Does it hum when it is powered on but not connected to your receiver at all?

MuFu.

10. bertha

bertha

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +89
    cheers mufu - no, it only starts to hum when the amp clicks on & doesn't hum at all when I turn the low level right down ..the hum increases in volume when I turn up the low level, which at present is about half way and the hum is pretty loud, you don't notice it when the movie is in full swing but you can hear it from across the room during the quieter moments, it also means I have to either switch it off when not in use or turn the gain right down ( a bit of a pain)...what's your diagnosis doctor??

11. BK Electronics

BK Electronics
    Active Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Bertha

Sorry too hear you have a hum on the BK XLS200 but lets try solve the problem.

There's common problems with hum, the earth loop as has already been noted and no earth reference. The XLS 200 is double insulated and therefore has no mains earth to the panel so I suspect it's the no earth reference problem.

So take a mains plug and fit a wire to the Earth connection only, make sure the wire is long enough to reach the gold plated phono's on the panel., plug the plug into a wall socket (Not Switched on for safety) then touch the bare wire on to one of the phono's.

This will earth the panel and should reduce or eliminate any hum.

Please be carefull

Tom

12. bertha

bertha

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +89
    hmmm...smoke me a kipper indeed...messing around with electricity is something I try to avoid..Tom, is there anything commercial that I can plug the sub into that would eliminate or reduce the hum..one other thing I've noticed is that when I switch off the sub it seems to be taking longer to power down (I can't swear to it) but I'm sure it was pretty much instantneous when I first switched the sub on & off but now it takes a good 10 seconds before the humming stops and the sub clicks off & then a further 10 secs or so before the red led fades away..is this normal or am I getting paranoid now?
    Deep sigh..the sub looks great sounds great but that hum is going to annoy the hell out of me..

I've plugged the sub into different sockets, swapped coaxials, swapped connections on the amp but the only thing that stops the hum is to (switch everything off) & unclick the frequency control from LFE and adjust it between 40 - 120Hz..this noticably reduces the quality of the bass however..would connecting the sub by the high level means help? I know this is not ideal either..

Deeper sigh

Thanks again

Brian

13. MuFu

MuFu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    You don't necessarily have to wire it into the mains. Any absolute earth reference will do - an exposed part of a radiator might work (e.g. on the tap or pipe gasket).

You can try connecting up the high-level lead (you can keep the high-level gain at zero) but that will just provide another path through which current can flow between the sub and receiver, causing a hum. It might reduce the noise at best.

I am suprised disabling LFE mode "reduces the quality". I've noticed my sub (which is very similar) performs best with the crossover dial set to roughly correspond with the crossover point on the receiver, e.g. ~85Hz. You just have to be a bit more careful setting the level because there is a degree of boost applied to force a flatter frequency response from the relatively small cabinet. It then becomes easier to bottom out the drive unit with taxing LFE at high levels. I have mine set to crossover at 80Hz and it makes *no* noise whatsoever - I guess this is actually pretty unusual as most subs tend to produce a "standby" hum of some sort.

There's a lot of info on earth/ground loops on this forum. Try a search.

MuFu.

P.S. It should be pretty easy to put into practice what Tom suggests. Perhaps an easier way is to find a cheap old phono lead and cut one plug off. Then wire the earth connection (that's the outer/braided part of a co-axial cable) to the earth pin of a mains plug. You can plug that into a mains socket and the other end into the free low level phono input on the sub.

14. BK Electronics

BK Electronics

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Its a fact of life now days that most equipment is double insulated, and does not have an earth connection, when all the equipment is double insulated there is no earth to reference to, and you get hum.

MuFu already asked that with no leads connected was there hum??. I already know the answer cause ive seen the noise plots on a spectrum analyser. -80dB uV and thats pretty damn good.

Now don't be despondant, contact me at work on Monday and we can sort this out, I'm 99% sure it's a floating earth problem so we just get thie sub back to base, make it a Class 1 earth and hey presto problem solved.

Just remember you haven't bought a pup, because we at BK are nice people. we are here to help. At the end of the day if your not satisfied you get your money back.

Tom

15. Mogli

Mogli

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +124
    :clap:

Can i just add that i bought a BKXLS200 sub and have been v impressed by the quality of the equipment and service.

Keep up the good work Tom.

16. bertha

bertha

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +89
    Thanks Tom - I don't mean to sound down on the sub I think it looks & sounds like a cracker and I don't have any regrets at all in buying it, I've genuinely not seen anything of this quality for the money..it's natural to be a bit disappointed when things don't fall perefctly into place but for me I love home cinema and am learning more & more each day just sadly not enough to confidently sort out wee things that other folk wouldn't even consider a pain..I am positive that I will sort this out & be chuffed to bits with my sub once I've had a good chance to tweak it etc..I appreciate all the advice you guys are giving and will keep you posted (can you tell I've had a couple of galsses of wine??)...cheers all & have a cool weekend!

Berth :smoke:

17. BK Electronics

BK Electronics

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Bertha

its no problem. You have taken a chance paid your money and deserve some after sales help. I have also had my share of the liquid brian teaser tonight.

Anyway, i realy do believe it's a simple fix, and as long as you do not mind us bringing it back to base for the " Class 1 Mod" then I am sure all will be well.

My heads spnning now so I must go

Bye for now

Tom

18. Brox

Brox
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Bertha,

I was interested in finding out more about your XLS200. Did you get your problem sorted, is the sub run in now and what's it like?

Cheers

19. Clint C

Clint C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    C'mon guys, I'm waiting with baited breath here... :rolleyes:
    Has the humming gone?

20. bertha

bertha

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +89
    sorry guys been up to my short & curlies at work:rolleyes:

I've still to get in touch with Dan to sort out my humming issue..still love the sub though will keep you posted..

cheers