BK XLS 200 good enough for Hi Fi music?

Wulbert

Sorry to ask this as there are so many similar threads, but my question is quite specific. Would the BK XLS 200 sub woofer be enough to give me a good Hi-Fi, stereo sound for music?
I know that the XXLS 400 provides more grunt and "room pressurising" and "window rattling" etc but what I am after is good music.
I'm also aware there is a specific "Subwoofer" thread but I'm posting here on Hi Hi thread because high fidelity is what I am after.
I'm not too bothered about earth-shaking LFE when watching films as, frankly, just having 5 speakers for film soundtracks seems amazing to me. I am fussy about music however.

I'm using an old Naim NAC72 pre-amp into NAP 140 power amp (the NAC72 has upgraded JSL "Music Power" cards fitted) and a pair of Royd Edens (bookshelf style) speakers for music. Source is a Naim CD 3.5 (and hopefully Spotify when I can get a good DAC/Streamer) I have a stone floor in listening room (living room) which is about 5m x 4m and the usual soft furniture.

I would like to be able to hear and, if possible, feel a bit more bass than the Royds alone can produce. But it needs to be controlled and sound like an actual instrument, rather than a wash of boomy sludge. I want to be able to hear what the bass player is playing. This is important to me as I play bass myself and like to hear what is going on. Rock, some classical, folk and pop.

I only want to spend just enough to get what I want as I am really spending more than I should already. So, although the 400 will give more, I don't know if I'd actually need it.

Anyone here have experience of the XLS200 for music? Does it deliver?

Nico72

The sub should do the job, but you would be using it as a passive sub with your electronics I suppose? So setting the cutoff frequency entirely on the sub, by ear. You may benefit from using an antimode or some sort of DSP to achieve better integration between the sub and your speakers.

Wulbert

The sub should do the job, but you would be using it as a passive sub with your electronics I suppose? So setting the cutoff frequency entirely on the sub, by ear. You may benefit from using an antimode or some sort of DSP to achieve better integration between the sub and your speakers.
Thanks, I'd be using it connected to the amp's speaker outputs via the Neutrik connector. And then the AVR connected via line level.

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Which is the best decade for horror movies?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom