1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

BK Sub panel - BSB500 impedance?

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by BestGear, Feb 4, 2005.

1. BestGear

BestGear

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Hi folks

Anyone using the BSB 500 sub panel from BK?

Care to share what impedance you are (or have tried!) driving into and your impression of performance?

DJ

2. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    The website claims 500W into 4ohms, have you tried contacting them? They're usually very helpful.

I've got 1 200W BK amp in each of my subs and they don't seem short of power.

3. BestGear

BestGear

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Yeh, I have two BSB500, one in each sub.

The subs each have two 12" dual voice coil units, and I was wanting to see what folks have found regarding impedance.

With the two units and two coils each I have plenty of options!!

Obviously, going low is of benefit from the power perspective - having two 500RMS amps... I guess I should not be too worried!!

DJ

4. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    They're certainly stable into 4ohm subwoofer loads as that's what they're designed for.

You could always email them and ask for the relevant data sheet.

5. tahirti3

tahirti3
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    they are ok running into a 4 ohm load but not lower.i think good for the money but run out of steam at very high levels.depends on how much you want to annoy the neighbours.

6. BestGear

BestGear

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Yup, my findings too...

They are well up for it, as long as the impedance of your drivers does not dip much below 4R.

I have now modified the circuit to prevent the soft limiter kicking in so early, plus modded the PSU to hold up better.

D

7. micb3rd

micb3rd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    What drivers do you have may I ask?

8. tahirti3

tahirti3
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    is the soft limiter the reason for reduced output as you crank the system to highish levels,and if so is it it easy to modify?

9. BestGear

BestGear

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Drivers?

Well, I have built two subs, each with two 12" bass units and driven by thier own BSB500.

The drivers are actually quality car units. I cannot remember the make - they are really nice sounding subs and are a million miles from the one note bass many car subs emit!

When looking around for suitable units its is a tell tale sign if the vendor does not publish T/S parameters for thier speakers... shows how serious they are I guess...

Each sub has dual 2R voice coils, so I am just (currently) using one coil from each unit in series.

I have tried many combinations up and down the impedance range and this is currently the best so far.

These subs are my sixth generation - and have been powered by BK Electronics modules since day one. I started just using thier OMP modules (Remember the back page of ETI!?!?!), and moved to the BSB panels about a year ago. I have also built a smaller sub for the lounge using a BSB300 - nice unit too and shared the same basic design as the 500. It is a 15" cube and a single 12" unit.

I have tried many box designs... and personal favourite was an isobaric design with two 15" drivers... only downsize was it took up too much room!!

The current subs are sealed box, and each about the size of two REL black cubes on top of each other... so I guess that would be about 30" tall, by 15" wide and ISTR about 15" deep.

I personally like 12" units best, as they offer the best combination of agility, depth and power handling. 10" units are nice but many lack the ability to go low and play loud.

The rest of my system is composed of B&W 605 fronts, 604 rears, single 603 for centre front and centre rear plus another pair of 603's for front effects (Yamahas DSP extras).

I use BFD (uncoupled) to bring the sound inline with the room... its a fair bit of moving air!!

I wanted to finish them in the REL "grittex" finish (hope that spelling is ok!) - and found a great way to get it! I used B&Q satin black paint. Its a water based satin paint like that you would use for interior doors but in black. Trick was to give the sub one coat with a brush then two coats using a small foam roller. The roller was about 4-5" wide - the sort you see for getting behind radiators... The finished result looks very original and the "grittex" finish hides any marks or signs of filled screwheads!

Anyway - rant over...

DJ

10. micb3rd

micb3rd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    Driver is a another term for speaker, its a habit of mine to say driver.

Yes, wiring the 2 ohm coils in series to a 4 ohm load will give the best load for the BSB plate amps.

B&Q satin black paint, thanks for the tip I'll look at that some time.

Any chance of a pics of the cones/enclosure?