1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

BK owners!!!

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by Roam, Jul 26, 2004.

1. Roam

Roam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  2. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    It does look like it has potential, it depends how thick it is I suppose.

Let us know how you get on, one of the best things about Argos is that the products should be around for a while :)

3. Roam

Roam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Agreed! I think the only issue will be the thickness. It's looks about 15mm but not confirmed. Anyway argos have a no quibble moneyback guarantee too :) and if it's too thin to be effective under the sub I can try it under my transports.

4. SillySausage

SillySausage

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    I've just bought one for my XLS200 and even got the matching table mats for under my Tannoy R3's.

They are a perfect size, if a little thin. However as they are going between laminate floor and speaker spikes, they'll do for now...

Well impressed ;)

5. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    SillySausage, can you confirm how thick/heavy they are? I guessed they were about as thick as a plastic chopping board but am interested to know.

I've made my own out of a slab of wood and some doorstops so do you think it's worth upgrading the wood to granite?

6. Roam

Roam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've got one and it's 15mm thick. I've tried it on both a carpeted and a wooden floor and on the carpet it doesn't work as well as pushing the spikes through to the wooden floorboards (my brother commented he could feel the sub more when pushed through the carpet and held more firmly on the floorboards beneath). Putting the slab on a wooden floor I don't think there is much improvement if any but it will save marking the floorboards and it does look ok perched on the granite. I suspect the smooth, shiny surface of the granite doesn't hold the sub firmly (both with or without spikes) as the sub can easily be pushed out of position with a slight nudge. I've concluded it's better to use something heavy that will hold the sub in place more securely i.e. not a smooth surface.

7. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    If you don't mind spending a few more quid, I use rubber doorstops to good effect as feet.

8. Roam

Roam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was thinking of covering the granite with a dense non-slip rubber matt (if I can find one!) and placing the sub on it with the spikes removed and possibly putting new feet on (maybe blu-tak)as the ones already on are a bit flimsy and thin. The doorstops are a good idea. :thumbsup:

9. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    How about a cork table mat instead of a rubber one? You might even have one to hand to try :)

I find the doorstops definitely provide a solid mounting, give a decent height off my wooden slab and are in black! Not too expensive either, I'm wondering about using them for some of my other kit as my amp doesn't sit horizontally on squash ball halves (heat sink on one side).

10. Roam

Roam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    eviljohn2,

I've tried the platform under my dvd player and it does improve the pics a little bit. I notice slightly more colour and contrast (not sure if I get any more detail though) but these can be adjusted in the settings right? Again I think the feet are not thick enough and probably a rubber etc. top would help absorb the vibrations more so will try again when I've made up the 'improved' one.

I may just take the easy route in the future and pick up a couple of Atacama Staticstages or just use some Vibrapods on some board.

11. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
  12. Roam

Roam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not in it's standard form but with a few mods I'd say yes.

13. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    Is it heavy enough to make a difference when put on top of the sub as I would like to replace the slab i ahve on there at the moment.

14. Roam

Roam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It weighs about 10.5lbs although I haven't tried it placed on top of the sub so can't comment on any improvement. What extra improvements can be gained from adding more weight? I thought the BK was pretty heavy anyway.

15. IronGiant

IronGiant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28,239
    A 32lb slab of granite on top of my subwoofer made a huge difference to how it sounded, and I only put it there for aesthetic reasons.

Cost me £30 from a local stonemason in black granite to the size I wanted with a small bevelled edge. Polishing the sides would have pushed it nearer £100. An amazingly nice bloke on this forum then made me a wooden "picture frame" surround to cover up the unpolished edges.

Mind you, changing the original driver at 3kgs for one that weighed 12kgs made quite a difference as well :D

Dave