BK Monolith + Velodyne SMS-1

CallMeSteve

Ex Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Having bought a Monolith, I went out and bought an SMS-1 to see if I could improve the sound and quality of the bass. I've ran the auto-setup on the SMS-1 and it has improved things a little but I'm still wondering if I could do better.

I've got REW but I never actually got around to using it. Do I need to run REW with my SMS-1 to get the best results?

Lastly, I've only got one place where I can accomodate the sub (at the moment). Would REW/SMS-1 compensate for not having the sub in an ideal location?

Thanks for any help in advance :thumbsup:.

Steve

You dont run REW with an SMS1 that is a stand alone unit. Using the automatic setup with the velodyne wont give you the best sound set it to manual and watch how the graph looks like on your tv then go to the next screen and play around with the phase settings to see if you can get a better starting result. But nothing can really compensate if you have it in a place where your room and sub work against each other.

And sometimes you dont have to move it that far. If I remember correctly I only moved mine a couple of feet and that with cross over and phase adjustments meant instead of large bass drops I had huge gains that the SMS1 dealt with easily.

Hi Mate

I ran the auto setup with my SMS and it was ok.
But by doing it manually and playing with the phasing and oher toys it has made it excellent.
Too much to type on here so if you want a chat PM me and I'll bell you or you bell me.
I'm free most of the weekend

Cheers

Paul

You dont run REW with an SMS1 that is a stand alone unit. Using the automatic setup with the velodyne wont give you the best sound set it to manual and watch how the graph looks like on your tv then go to the next screen and play around with the phase settings to see if you can get a better starting result. But nothing can really compensate if you have it in a place where your room and sub work against each other.

Thanks, I'll give it a go although I'm still getting to terms with all the options and settings. Didn't realise how complex it is! :eek:

Hi Mate

I ran the auto setup with my SMS and it was ok.
But by doing it manually and playing with the phasing and oher toys it has made it excellent.
Too much to type on here so if you want a chat PM me and I'll bell you or you bell me.
I'm free most of the weekend

Cheers

Paul

That's very kind of you, I'm not around this weekend but would definitely take you up on your offer if you could spare the following weekend? :thumbsup:

PM me when its good four you mate
Happy to help:D

I thought I'd give this a go since I had some time on my hands this afternoon. I've posted a before and after graph. Do they look right? I'm particulary interested in the lower end although I'm open to all feedback.

Also, am I right in thinking that there's no point in trying to get a flat response beyond 60Hz (crossover point on my amp) as the SMS1 has no control over it?

Thanks.

Before:

picture001lb4.jpg

After:

picture002gh5.jpg

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom