Bargain BK Monolith Plus amateur review

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by John Fulwood, Nov 29, 2018.

Tags:
  1. John Fulwood

John Fulwood
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I posted a question on the forum a few weeks ago asking anyone if they could recommend the BK subs? I had read reviews, but most were quite old.
    Anyway, I did buy one, a white BK Monolith Plus for my home theatre. I'm no expert, but I have been into home cinema for some time. I moved house and have a large room for my system, its 34ft x 15ft, I sit about 20ft away from the white wall I project onto (135 inch picture) - yes, a normal matt white painted wall. The picture is great from my old In Focus IN76, but I am going to invest in a 4k projector next.
    I use a Yamaha 3040 amp, I have a pair of AE 109 in the front two channels and 7 B&W M1's performing the surround and presence. I had a Gale sub, but it did nothing in the room.
    Anyway, the BK. It's a great piece of kit. Plugged it in and went through the set-up as instructed in the Yamaha manual. Set the cross overs in the M1's and AE 109's.
    For music, it is subtle but deep. For movies, it's a game changer for the system, the soundtracks on action movies are simply awesome, it doesn't overpower or linger like I have heard in other systems, it feels very tight. As I say, I'm no expert, but it does feel as if my other speakers are performing better with the burden of bass being removed - that could be just me thinking it??
    I have had the pleasure of hearing many systems, I have heard better, but I have never heard better at anything like this price point.
    So, in summary, the thing is huge, it comes in a box that you'll struggle to get through the door - packed, it weighs well over 50kg. On that note, it comes very well packed and protected.
    Sound wise, I love it.
    Value for money, I don't think it can be matched? I'm sure there will be many out there to challenge that assertion. If you need a new sub and you need one to fill a big room, then I would recommend you try one.
    Sorry this is not a better/more technical review. I have not found any recent BK sub reviews for some reason? Therefore, despite the lack of real knowledge, I thought I'd give them a big up, in my view they deserve it......

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  2. MrNismo

MrNismo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    Glad you like your Monolith Plus.
    I've been umming and arrring over the Xtz 12.17 or the Monolith Plus for weeks.
    I have not heard many AV systems and have been living happily with my system for 15 years til my tiny REL q200e acquired a rattle.
    The BK is my ideal choice and sounds like a bargain considering the 10 inch REL had an rrp of £650 in 2003.
    My only worry is 50kg !!!!!!
    As long as the delivery driver can get it off the van and INTO the house not just leaving it at the roadside I'll put an order in.
    Do you remember what the width of the box it came in?
    Just worried they can't get it through the front door after your post :thumbsdow

3. Gasp3621

Gasp3621

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +626
    You can contact Tom @ BK and arrange delivery to evening when you are at home or saturday delivery. This might cost little extra, but i would feel safer to get the sub in home with 2 pair of hands. @fallinlight arranged he`s delivery of dual XXLS400 this way.

Mono+ offers lot for ~500£ grade-b new and 30£ delivery for basic colours. Also the 300w version Monolith might be available for ~400£ + 30£ thru Colosussxb (by calling and asking), which is crazy steal for that price!

From REL Q200e (17litre basically same as XLS200 but lower powered) to Mono+ will be nice upgrade, different beast! :smashin:

@John Fulwood nice review which i like to read! Future purchase could be Antimode as you have Yamaha receiver which isn`t praised on subwoofer eq abilities. There is very high chances to get the sub sound even better. Corner placement shouldn`t be issue either (boom) and in such a large space as yours that might be best placement for it if you want to really maximize the performance. There is probably zillion threads about this little box (setup and forget it). Sometimes it`s also available at classified section, wanted add is option too. Who knows maybe Santa Claus brings it to you.. :rolleyes:
    Anti Mode 8033-1
    Anti Mode 8033SII

4. John Fulwood

John Fulwood
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    @MrNismo, I'm sure you'll get it in - my door is standard width and it came through. I was probably exaggerating a bit - picture 1 below of it in the box in the hallway. I carried this thing down the stairs into my basement on my own. It could have killed me, but I got away with it. I had to get it installed before my girlfriend got home to hide the purchase, it was my 8yr old daughter that spotted it........ Only a minor bollocking ensued!!!
    upload_2018-11-30_8-6-55.jpeg

Okay, next to my old Gale, you can see why it may have been a bit obvious........
    upload_2018-11-30_8-17-28.jpeg

As you can see, the room is big, but I have two areas the same size next to each other that make it a 34ft x 32ft space with the openings - in set-up the BK shook the kitchen cabinet doors, it was great...
    I spoke with BK about the size of the entire space, as it is open on two sides, they said that one should be enough, but I do have space for two - one is enough I think.
    upload_2018-11-30_8-17-50.jpeg

Also, take a look on eBay, I bought mine from where BK sell their 'could be slight blemish' subs that are brand new. I can tell you, there is not a mark on mine - it is in perfect condition. As @Gasp3621 says, the guys who dealt with the order and deliver were brilliant, I can't speak highly enough. But, I'm just one person, I could have got lucky I suppose.

@Gasp3621 Thank you for the suggestion. I'm going to try and get away with the new projector first. Girlfriend basically said we need to finish the house before I spend any more on equipment - they just don't understand do they?? ha ha ha

5. MrNismo

MrNismo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    Your girlfriend might not have noticed seeing as the white finish blends in with your decor. Just a shame that you got rumbled by your daughter :p
    My man cave is in my cellar/basement too so it's good to know you managed to get it down the stairs.
    Similar to you it's kind of an open plan space about 3m X 5m but connected to a similar sized room in a through lounge type arrangement.
    One day I'll hopefully get it decorated as nicely as yours but at the moment it's just cheap carpet on the concrete floor with painted plasterboard covering the walls and ceilings.

6. Dolus

Dolus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +146
    @John Fulwood Nice review and you have discovered the magic of the Mono. I have two of them and agree with what you said. When set up they become invisible but when needed they dig deep.

Not any recent reviews but there is The bk monolith thread-part five

7. MrNismo

MrNismo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    Just this minute spoke to Tom at BK and ordered a black Mono+ DF
    Seeing as it's Christmas I treated myself to some superspikes too.
    It was your post that finally tipped me to the Mono+ so thanks ........I think:smashin:

8. DrHarvey12

DrHarvey12

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +354
    Very pleased to see this somewhat re-surgence in people finding the BK Monolith's. They are truly excellent subwoofer's at a great price. If you haven't heard a "good" subwoofer before you are in for a treat!!!

9. Zag

Zag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Thanks John for your review. Another person tipped in favour of a Black Monolith FF today. Smaller room 17ft x 14ft, and I like my bass deep, rather than super high pressure levels, so I think the standard Monolith will hit the sweet spot for me.