Answered BK Monolith issues

As in the Audyssey settings for each? Same as last:

Front L: -2.0
Front R: -1.5
Center: -3.0
Sub: -1.5
Surround L: +0.5
Surround R: -2.5

Somethings not right with your measurements. Audyssey is within the adjustable range so the results when checked with the level meter should all give out the same level. Make sure you have it at reference level (0 on the avr) should be about 70-75 db and check again.

So I went in to Speakers, Levels, Test Tone. Changed them all to 0.0 dB

Main Speakers: 52.93, 54.32, 54, 53.1, 53.
45.10 - this is with the sub at 12 on the gain dial.

So speakers didn't change all that much, sub went up by 1.1dB after taking the -1.5dB trim back to 0.

So I went in to Speakers, Levels, Test Tone. Changed them all to 0.0 dB

Main Speakers: 52.93, 54.32, 54, 53.1, 53.
45.10 - this is with the sub at 12 on the gain dial.

So speakers didn't change all that much, sub went up by 1.1dB after taking the -1.5dB trim back to 0.
No mate I meant have the volume at 0db reference level. You need to change the audyssey levels back to where they were set.

No mate I meant have the volume at 0db reference level. You need to change the audyssey levels back to where they were set.

I've put them back to where they were.

I'm not entirely sure on setting the reference level. Within Audio there is:
MultEQ XT: Reference.
Dynamic EQ is Off, but does have greyed out -Reference Level offset 0dB
Dynamic Volume: Off

Reference level is just what volume your on. It's not a setting. Just just it up till it is at 0.

Reference Levels - What are they and how to get them

I think I may have found it then. The AVR was set to display volume level with a 0-98 scale rather than -79.5dB-18.0dB. So I'll be setting my volume to 0db with the remote, playing the test tone and then checking them with my spl meter app? Just want to double check before I burst my eardrums or the sub! :)

Yes that is correct. :thumbsup:

Yes that is correct. :thumbsup:
Many thanks Bone9, you have been very helpful!

Should I rerun the audyssey again given that I must not have done that test at 0?

I may have to do this during a daytime when I can have that loud test tone the multiple times the test requires! I probably ran the test previously at -35dB.

No worries mate. No need to run Audyssey again just enter the levels that it set the first time. You can check they are correct with the spl meter. You should now go to the levels section set the volume to reference then check your levels on the spl meter.

With it set to 0dB on the AVR I got the following readings on different apps with the sub set midway at 12:

Main Speakers: 90,91,90,90,90.
Sub was 72.

Main Speakers: 75,78,75,75,75.
Sub was 63.

Mains Speakers: 75,76.75,74,74.
Sub was 62.

I guess just ignore the readings on that first app. But both the others place the sub as at least 10 below the mains. But to get it to read as 10dB above the main speakers I expect I would really have to notch the gain up on the sub to around 3 which would make the buzzing too loud. :\

Yeah app 3 is the closest to what It should be so stick with that one. Still unsure why audyssey has set the sub 13db less than the others.

I would try to run Audyssey again to see if you get the same results.

Really don't understand what the hell it is doing now.

Just ran audyssey again. This time it has
FL -2.5, FR -2.5, C -3.5, SL -0.5, SR -2.0 and dun duh duh dah the sub at -12.0!

Yes that's more like it. What does it measure with the spl meter at reference level at the mlp?

Where's the gain at on the sub? Still at 12?

What does it sound like? Maybe the app is no good for low frequencies so its not picking up the sub correctly.

Yeah app 3 is the closest to what It should be so stick with that one. Still unsure why audyssey has set the sub 13db less than the others.

I would try to run Audyssey again to see if you get the same results.
It does the same with my subs, im running dual svs and sets both at 60dbs for some reason

A bad day for me as my ears are blocked with a cold, ha. But my partner says it sounds rumbly ha. I'll give it another listen over the weekend.

It does the same with my subs, im running dual svs and sets both at 60dbs for some reason

How have you countered it? I guess would have to undo the correction in audyssey and then choose between boosting from the AVR or putting the gain up on the sub.

How have you countered it? I guess would have to undo the correction in audyssey and then choose between boosting from the AVR or putting the gain up on the sub.
Using an spl meter I turned the gain up from the subs, what's strange is turning up 15 db from the avr made little difference

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom