BK Monolith-Df & Denon AV Amp (avc-a11sr)

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by thestorm, Dec 21, 2006.

1. thestorm

thestorm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    I knew this was going to happen!

I have received my BK Monolith-Df but I'm not sure how to connect it up to my Denon AV Amp (avc-a11sr).
    The Denon & BK manuals seems to confuse me the more I read them and the cables don't match up to the connectivity behind my AV amp.

Attached is a rear view of my AV amp and the cables supplied with the sub are listed on this page at the bottom :

http://www.bkelec.com/HiFi/Sub_Woofers/monolith-df.htm

Please advise.

Attached Files:

2. IronGiant

IronGiant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45,986
    What are those pre-outs labelled as? I think the one next to C is probably your sub output to connect to the sub with the phono to phono lead supplied by BK to the right low level input on the Monolith.

Dave

3. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Dave is correct. The single phono lead should be connected to the sub pre-out on the Denon amp

4. thestorm

thestorm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    I've taken a photo of a page from the manual, it looks like a single phono for the sub..but that lead is not supplied with the monolith.

Attached Files:

5. thestorm

thestorm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    It looks like I'll have to buy a single phono lead for the sub,

what would the "exotic" high level lead be used for?
    It's got a big plastic connector at one end and 3 wires at the other end.

Which of the leads supplied would be used for Music and which would be used for Movies?

The other lead is a left \ right phono to phono, see attached pic.

Attached Files:

6. Member 14718

Member 14718

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Hi

The Monolith comes supplied with a stereo phono to phono interconnect you can use either one of the stereo pair as a mono lead, the black or the red.

Regards

Tom

7. Member 96948

Member 96948
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,253
    Hello matey,

Don't worry about the Neutric Speakon lead (for that's what it is), it's for the stereo only crowd who can only connect to the speaker terminals of their amps.

Connect from the Pre Out's SW socket to either the right OR left on the Monolith as described above.

Using a tape measure, measure the distances to each of the speakers and the sub. The sub's a pain because ideally, you need to measure to the point midway between the driver and the port.

Then go into your Amps speaker setup menu, set all speakers to small, the sub to on and to LFE+Main and finally, set the crossover to 80Hz. This last bit is slightly arbitary, but it's a good place to start.

On the sub, set the gain to 0, phase to 0 and crossover to LFE (turn until it clicks).

For this bit, ideally you'd use an SPL meter. Using the amps internal test tones (you'll find them in the speaker setup menu under 'channel level') turn the main volume up until the LH speaker reads say 80dB. Now going round the speakers in turn, turn them up, or down, to read 80dB.

Now when it comes to the sub, with the volume in the amp set at +/- 0dB, turn the gain on the sub up slowly. If you find the sub goes from zero to hero after a gnats turn on the gain, turn it down by 6dB on the amp and then try again with the gain knob. Now I find the good ole RS meter tends to be a bit pessimistic and in my room I find I find a reading of about 76dB for the sub is about right, but really, turn it up to suit your taste.

See how you go with that lot.

Russell