bk gemini??

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by ObeyOne, Sep 16, 2007.

1. ObeyOne

ObeyOne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +190
    Hi :hiya: been looking for a sub for my dining room to compliment a pair of epos els 303 floorstanding speakers.. using my old denon avr1803 amp. Been looking for second hand sub £100-£150 but not had any luck. Room mainly used when have friends over for music but have my old plasma on wall as well so would like it for movies too. Been tempted on bk gemini recently as only little over my budget,, how good is it?? That would be about the max i could stretch to for sub.. are there any better options? advice really would be appreciated.

2. Spock

Spock

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    I cant comment on the bk sub I just picked up a morduant short 309i sub for £159 which is only just outside your budget. Well impressed with it too:clap:
    Richer sounds will price match it if you say you saw it in hiway hifi in edgeware road for £159.

3. ObeyOne

ObeyOne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +190
    Cheers for reply spock!! looks like quite a nice sub.. you got it for good price too:thumbsup: really like the look of the gemini though and was after some first hand reviews of it.. dining room only about 14'x14' so would the gemini be a big enough sub or go for something larger??:confused:

4. Scott_Mac

Scott_Mac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +650
    The Gemini is a cracker!

I was dubious as to how good it could/would be but it produces very deep bass for it's size and at the volume levels i play it at has not struggled at all with anything, it integrates nicely into my system which has far more expensive gear elsewhere and doesn't sound out of place.

I got mine 2nd hand for £130 but it's rare to see them... even at full whack i think they're a great priced product!

5. ObeyOne

ObeyOne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +190
    Thanks Scott Mac :thumbsup: good to hear from someone who has one!! From all i've read on these forums the bk range is excellent value for your money.. my only concern was the size of the gemini and being able to reproduce a deep bass (really pleased with the epos speakers but no bass to speak of)... would it be worth saving up a bit more for the xls 200?? or in a room my size the gemini would be ample?? as everything i suppose for a few more hard earned pounds you can get something a bit bigger/a bit better.

6. Scott_Mac

Scott_Mac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +650
    I deliberated for months about what was worth getting, did i need larger, bigger, deeper etc... in the end the Gemini came along for the money it did and i am over the moon with the performance, sure there may be better ones and i don't doubt the XLS is a better product but in my room i think it would be overkill and certainly more of a pain to integrate.

Pics of my system show the Gemini in place: http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=601896

I don't have a huge room and live in a flat so didn't want to annoy the neighbours at all... that said i'm more than happy with the sound i get.

How big is your room, mine is about 8ft wide by 14ft long....

7. ObeyOne

ObeyOne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +190
    Nice set-up scott mac:thumbsup: and the sub looks good too!! My dining room about 14'x14' so not much bigger than your room and live in detatched house so noise not too much of a problem:devil: i too would jump at the chance of buying the gemini for £130:eek: but as i've said been looking to buy s/hand up to £150 with no luck.. so much good said about bk subs on here i've now got heart set on one:D just don't know wether to buy gemini now or save for a few more months??

8. Badger0-0

Badger0-0
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,923
    Ooh, the 309 at £159 is a steal, as it's an excellent sub :thumbsup:
    Given the bigger box and the 10" driver the 309 has, I suspect it would be better than the Gemini, but I've never heard the latter.

9. Scott_Mac

Scott_Mac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +650
    And i've never heard the former so can't comment !

It has to be tempting though as it looks good and it closer to budget....