BK Gemini to XLS200DF upgrade worth it?

Falp

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I'm running a a very nice BK Gemini in a 4.50x4.80m room and not much space to place a sub.

I'm running Monitor Audio RS1 fronts and might upgrade for Vienna Acoustic Haydn Grand or Sonus Faber Concertino Domus or same range.

I'm thinking if I should upgrade for a BK XLS200DF or REL Stampede, no space for bigger subs.

XLS200DF seems the better option, shall I notice the difference from the Gemini?

Thanks

I would have though something like the new SVS SB12 Plus might be a good upgrade alternative for a Gemini in a small sub format (14in cube).

rasputin said:
I would have though something like the new SVS SB12 Plus might be a good upgrade alternative for a Gemini in a small sub format (14in cube).
Almost twice as much money though which opens up a whole different selection of toys. ;)

I found the XLS200 to much better than the Gemini. Only sold it as I got a very good deal on a PV1.

I like the PV1 black version! :thumbsup:

But High+Low Level connection not possible as the REL/MJ/BK models...:rolleyes:

The high+low level connections are a big plus for me. I have just heard a Monitor Audio FB212 (£1400 retail, though it isn't really worth that much). While the sub was okay, if a bit loose, I really miss the High level connection I demoed with the REL 305. 2 Channel DVD-Audio is a revelation.

Russell

Are the new REL models good?

Having lived with both I think the increase in performance is worth it for the XLS200.

I'm using the Gemini purely on my centre channel right now, the Quad L Centre, while lovely and transparent, is just not dynamic enough when the rest of the set up is taken into account.

In fact, anyone feeling a little underwhelmed by the performance of their centre channel speaker should consider a Gemini, as it is perfect for those Patrick Stewert moments like the intro to X-Men, and Brenden Fraisers voice in The Mummy movies. Takes a lot of effort to get the balance right, but once nailed, the result is fabulous!

Are the new REL models good?

Well, I moved from a Monolith to an as yet undetermined sub. I have had the R-305 Strata V, B&W 675 and Monitor Audio FB212 in my room. I can say that the 305 is the best of the lot, but is also the most expensive bar the FB212 (which doesn't sound anything like its £1400 retail price). The 305 is considerably better than the risable Q200/Q201 with a punch and pace that I just couldn't get with the Monolith. Ultimate depth and power handling is also far superior to the surprisingly weak Strata V. Indeed I heard a Bose system playing in a department store the other day and I thought that its bass reproduction was far superior to the Strata V, albeit in wildly different surroundings.

So, the 305 is a good sub especially with music and if you have a small space. Distortion was no more or less than the Monolith, though I suspect in a larger room this would not be the case. I also heard on demo the 505 which is a step up in depth terms, but at a cool £1k is rather over priced. Indeed the reason I didn't get the 305 was price. If the entire range was £200 less all round then I reckon it would be about right - the B&W 675 is on a par with the 305 and the B&W is "only" £650 compared to the REL's £800. But, the 675 doesn't have dual inputs which is what makes the REL so effective with stereo sources, and AV to an extent.

Russell

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom