BK Gemini to XLS200DF upgrade worth it?

Falp

Novice Member
I'm running a a very nice BK Gemini in a 4.50x4.80m room and not much space to place a sub.

I'm running Monitor Audio RS1 fronts and might upgrade for Vienna Acoustic Haydn Grand or Sonus Faber Concertino Domus or same range.

I'm thinking if I should upgrade for a BK XLS200DF or REL Stampede, no space for bigger subs.

XLS200DF seems the better option, shall I notice the difference from the Gemini?

Thanks

TarMoo

I would have though something like the new SVS SB12 Plus might be a good upgrade alternative for a Gemini in a small sub format (14in cube).

jon smith

I found the XLS200 to much better than the Gemini. Only sold it as I got a very good deal on a PV1.

Falp

Novice Member
I like the PV1 black version! :thumbsup:

But High+Low Level connection not possible as the REL/MJ/BK models...:rolleyes:

russraff

The high+low level connections are a big plus for me. I have just heard a Monitor Audio FB212 (£1400 retail, though it isn't really worth that much). While the sub was okay, if a bit loose, I really miss the High level connection I demoed with the REL 305. 2 Channel DVD-Audio is a revelation.

Russell

Falp

Novice Member
Are the new REL models good?

Kazman

Having lived with both I think the increase in performance is worth it for the XLS200.

I'm using the Gemini purely on my centre channel right now, the Quad L Centre, while lovely and transparent, is just not dynamic enough when the rest of the set up is taken into account.

In fact, anyone feeling a little underwhelmed by the performance of their centre channel speaker should consider a Gemini, as it is perfect for those Patrick Stewert moments like the intro to X-Men, and Brenden Fraisers voice in The Mummy movies. Takes a lot of effort to get the balance right, but once nailed, the result is fabulous!

russraff

Are the new REL models good?
Well, I moved from a Monolith to an as yet undetermined sub. I have had the R-305 Strata V, B&W 675 and Monitor Audio FB212 in my room. I can say that the 305 is the best of the lot, but is also the most expensive bar the FB212 (which doesn't sound anything like its £1400 retail price). The 305 is considerably better than the risable Q200/Q201 with a punch and pace that I just couldn't get with the Monolith. Ultimate depth and power handling is also far superior to the surprisingly weak Strata V. Indeed I heard a Bose system playing in a department store the other day and I thought that its bass reproduction was far superior to the Strata V, albeit in wildly different surroundings.

So, the 305 is a good sub especially with music and if you have a small space. Distortion was no more or less than the Monolith, though I suspect in a larger room this would not be the case. I also heard on demo the 505 which is a step up in depth terms, but at a cool £1k is rather over priced. Indeed the reason I didn't get the 305 was price. If the entire range was £200 less all round then I reckon it would be about right - the B&W 675 is on a par with the 305 and the B&W is "only" £650 compared to the REL's £800. But, the 675 doesn't have dual inputs which is what makes the REL so effective with stereo sources, and AV to an extent.

Russell